OT: 118th Obsequious Banter Thread: February is the month of food days

What are your favorite food(s) celebrated by a special day in February? (Choose up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Don't you all know how easy it is to make a pour-over?

Let the record show I'm the one on the correct side of the coffee issue -- French Press.

Girl wants an espresso machine. Any thoughts? She goes pretty hard with coffee, making her own particular drinks and whatnot. We have various syrups

James Hoffmann on YouTube. <3

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I switched from a Keruig to a Nespresso machine. It was a major upgrade imo.

When I said I was a "Keurig guy," what I meant is that I am a reusable coffee capsule guy - I'm kind of an environmental nerd, so I love the way it helps the f***ing planet. As for Keurig itself, I'm not surprised that Nespresso is an upgrade - I imagine most companies are lol.

Let the record show I'm the one on the correct side of the coffee issue -- French Press.

Do you and your ilk high-five by touching pinkies?

1706230124675.png

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
When I said I was a "Keurig guy," what I meant is that I am a reusable coffee capsule guy - I'm kind of an environmental nerd, so I love the way it helps the f***ing planet. As for Keurig itself, I'm not surprised that Nespresso is an upgrade - I imagine most companies are lol.

Do you and your ilk high-five by touching pinkies?

View attachment 810422

The Nespresso pods are recyclable. I don’t think you can get a reusable pod where you pour your own grinds in though like you can on the Keriug unfortunately.

I do use a French press though too but that’s more if I’m gonna be at the house & have multiple cups. The Nespresso I more so use for on the go.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Girl wants an espresso machine. Any thoughts? She goes pretty hard with coffee, making her own particular drinks and whatnot. We have various syrups

My wife wanted one last year because she likes americanos. She absolutely hates light roasts with a passion and apparently just wants to drink watered down darker roast espresso. Who am I to judge?

Anyway, I got her a Breville Bambino + and I became something of her morning barista. If you're just looking for an entry level machine, I'd recommend it. If you want something a little fancier, take a gander at the higher end models.

James Hoffmann on YouTube. <3

I have never been able to get into French press, which is ironic, I guess. I'm a V60 guy.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

So the Nespresso I got, I got the one with the frother. So you can make drinks like that. It has a warm or cold setting. So you can make iced ones too.

Like I make iced Carmel macchiato’s in the summer a lot & they come out pretty good in it imo. I make it pretty much just like Starbucks does for a lot cheaper lol.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
My wife wanted one last year because she likes americanos. She absolutely hates light roasts with a passion and apparently just wants to drink watered down darker roast espresso. Who am I to judge?

Anyway, I got her a Breville Bambino + and I became something of her morning barista. If you're just looking for an entry level machine, I'd recommend it. If you want something a little fancier, take a gander at the higher end models.

I have never been able to get into French press, which is ironic, I guess. I'm a V60 guy.

Breville Barista Express here....still tinkering with the right taste I want. Getting closer but still not to my liking. I have to grind some beans more instead of using pre-ground. So far Illy and Kimbo brands despite being dark roasts are not cutting it or I am doing something wrong. I bought it on Amazon but saw it at Crate and Barrel of all places for 250 less on sale......

Reactions: mja

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I just have a run of the mill Cuisinart drip coffee machine. Nothing fancy for me, I’m just a regular guy.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Breville Barista Express here....still tinkering with the right taste I want. Getting closer but still not to my liking. I have to grind some beans more instead of using pre-ground. So far Illy and Kimbo brands despite being dark roasts are not cutting it or I am doing something wrong. I bought it on Amazon but saw it at Crate and Barrel of all places for 250 less on sale......

Definitely grind your own. I use a blade grinder, which is not ideal, but I'm not shelling out money for a good burr grinder when I don't think my wife will really taste the difference since she dumps a bunch of water in it, and anyway I've gotten pretty good at getting the grind right. I grew tired of La Colombe years ago but their coffees do make for a decent shot.

I just have a run of the mill Cuisinart drip coffee machine. Nothing fancy for me, I’m just a regular guy.

Heathen.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Grind your beans. I’m begging all of you. And treat yourself to some nice beans every once in a while. It doesn’t have to be Onyx or anything. Counter Culture is in grocery stores at this point (and cheaper direct from them).

(But sometimes you do need a quick cup like LoD said. Totally reasonable.)

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Definitely grind your own. I use a blade grinder, which is not ideal, but I'm not shelling out money for a good burr grinder when I don't think my wife will really taste the difference since she dumps a bunch of water in it, and anyway I've gotten pretty good at getting the grind right. I grew tired of La Colombe years ago but their coffees do make for a decent shot.

Heathen.
Yeah....I think that is the issue. Mine has that built in grinder. I think I adjusted it well enough for a double shot and my cappucinos but the grind for my espresso shot is still off. Gotta play with it more...

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Grind your beans. I’m begging all of you. And treat yourself to some nice beans every once in a while. It doesn’t have to be Onyx or anything. Counter Culture is in grocery stores at this point (and cheaper direct from them).

(But sometimes you do need a quick cup like LoD said. Totally reasonable.)

I've been pretty much drinking Counter Culture for my everyday cup for almost a year. It's often on sale at Whole Foods in CC, but even when it's not it's still priced very fairly.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I've been pretty much drinking Counter Culture for my everyday cup for almost a year. It's often on sale at Whole Foods in CC, but even when it's not it's still priced very fairly.

Us too! It’s $35 for a single origin 2 pack sub from them. 32 for the blends. You set the interval. I don’t know if that’s better than WF sales, but out in OC we get gouged to the moon and back for groceries. So we sub.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Do you spritz your beans with a bit of water before grinding bc apparently it is supposed to make a difference. I had posted upthread about it some weeks ago.

We have 2 Keurigs (1 with a frother), a Nespresso, and an espresso machine. We are a debit card reader away from being a Starbucks.
What about the French Canadian press?

Reactions: BernieParent

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Us too! It’s $35 for a single origin 2 pack sub from them. 32 for the blends. You set the interval. I don’t know if that’s better than WF sales, but out in OC we get gouged to the moon and back for groceries. So we sub.

Yeah, WF is actually cheaper, but they just have the blends. It's like 23 for a 24oz bag, and I've gotten 12oz bags for under 11 when on sale.

Do you spritz your beans with a bit of water before grinding bc apparently it is supposed to make a difference. I had posted upthread about it some weeks ago.

No, I usually only make espresso for myself if I'm making an affogato, so I wouldn't see the point. And I'm not going to that much trouble for my wife's daily 3-shot americanos.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah, WF is actually cheaper, but they just have the blends. It's like 23 for a 24oz bag, and I've gotten 12oz bags for under 11 when on sale.

No, I usually only make espresso for myself if I'm making an affogato, so I wouldn't see the point. And I'm not going to that much trouble for my wife's daily 3-shot americanos.
Spritzing seems easy enough though...cuts static. Here is the info. I'm gonna start doing it. Have my little spritzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad