• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Goddamit ....another speed trap photo ticket on the Boulevard. The whole damn thing is one big speed trap apparently. Philadelphia Parking Authority are fascists! The most efficient operation in all of Philadelphia.....that is now 300 bucks of violations I have incurred on that road to hell in the last couple of months. That on top of the 180 in Bucks County for that BS stop sign violation I have to fight for point consideration. Gonna just have to use 95 to go to my mom's and hope not to get shot by a road rager, get killed by drag racers or get killed by a bridge collapse.
The argument is that I am not driving at an excessive speed over the buffer limit (the real world limit). I can't put cruise on the boulevard ...too many lights. The system is extreme that doesn't allow for reasonable driving but whatever...avoiding the nazi autobahn

Yeah I get it....still nazis

My guy, just drive 2 miles an hour slower - you'll lose what, a minute? I drive up the Blvd. to see my parents all of the time. Got a courtesy warning when they first installed the cameras. Took note and made the necessary adjustments. Haven't gotten anything since.

As @Young Sandwich pointed out, it's the most dangerous road in Philly, but more than that it's one of the most dangerous roads in the entire country. It's not the whole road and they even have signs up. Sorry, but this is on you.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

Was the 25th anniversary of their match a few days ago.

It must be genetics cuz with the amount of concussions Mick Foley took it is shocking how coherent he is decades later.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
My guy, just drive 2 miles an hour slower - you'll lose what, a minute? I drive up the Blvd. to see my parents all of the time. Got a courtesy warning when they first installed the cameras. Took note and made the necessary adjustments. Haven't gotten anything since.

As @Young Sandwich pointed out, it's the most dangerous road in Philly, but more than that it's one of the most dangerous roads in the entire country. It's not the whole road and they even have signs up. Sorry, but this is on you.
Dude, it is practically the whole road. I get it...it's about safety and yes the law is what it is. I adjusted after the first one but the 2nd and 3rd I'm going with the normal flow of traffic. They must have hit up everybody. I'm not the only car in the video. I'm not drag racing just driving a normal speed 1-2 miles over the trigger point. I just think it is excessive to have that many cameras and hit up people with fines like that. Whatever, just frustrated more than anything. Back to 95 now that it's fixed. Eff that "Bull"evard. Dumbest civil engineering in the country anyway.

Edit: More to my point

4) Photo radar encourages artificially low speed limits.
In areas where proper speed limits have been set according to the 85th percentile (the speed at or below which 85 percent of traffic is flowing), cameras could only make money if their tolerance threshold was very low, such as one or two miles per hour over the speed limit. Politically, this is not acceptable, nor will the courts support this kind of enforcement. The only option is to put the photo radar on roads with unreasonably low speed limits, and then make sure the limits stay low.

Finally...looks like it will have to get approval for an extension..

Authorization for the Pennsylvania experiment with speed cameras is scheduled to run out Oct. 19, 2023.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Screenshot_20230702-002718.png

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Dude, it is practically the whole road. I get it...it's about safety and yes the law is what it is. I adjusted after the first one but the 2nd and 3rd I'm going with the normal flow of traffic. They must have hit up everybody. I'm not the only car in the video. I'm not drag racing just driving a normal speed 1-2 miles over the trigger point. I just think it is excessive to have that many cameras and hit up people with fines like that. Whatever, just frustrated more than anything. Back to 95 now that it's fixed. Eff that "Bull"evard. Dumbest civil engineering in the country anyway.

In areas where proper speed limits have been set according to the 85th percentile (the speed at or below which 85 percent of traffic is flowing), cameras could only make money if their tolerance threshold was very low, such as one or two miles per hour over the speed limit. Politically, this is not acceptable, nor will the courts support this kind of enforcement. The only option is to put the photo radar on roads with unreasonably low speed limits, and then make sure the limits stay low.

Isn't the trigger ELEVEN miles over the limit, which is 45 MPH (which hasn't changed)? Would it really be that much of a chore for you to drive 54 MPH just to be on the safe side? Just jump in the center lane and take it easy. It isn't a highway, after all. The cameras are at the intersections, which are notoriously dangerous for pedestrians - 31 of whom died between 2016-2022 just trying to cross the street. I worked near Grant & the Boulevard at various jobs through my early 20's, which is generally considered to be one of the 3 most dangerous intersections in the country (Red Lion is also in the top 3), and let me tell you trying to get to work or to grab lunch could be absolutely harrowing.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Isn't the trigger ELEVEN miles over the limit, which is 45 MPH (which hasn't changed)? Would it really be that much of a chore for you to drive 54 MPH just to be on the safe side? Just jump in the center lane and take it easy. It isn't a highway, after all. The cameras are at the intersections, which are notoriously dangerous for pedestrians - 31 of whom died between 2016-2022 just trying to cross the street. I worked near Grant & the Boulevard at various jobs through my early 20's, which is generally considered to be one of the 3 most dangerous intersections in the country (Red Lion is also in the top 3), and let me tell you trying to get to work or to grab lunch could be absolutely harrowing.
Some stretches are 40..some 45. I only recently started driving it more because of the 95 incident otherwise I take it only for about 8 miles on my one office day a week and I am aware of that stretch. These other ones I didn't have any familiarity at all and again just driving a normal speed with the flow of traffic. I'm just avoiding it for trips to Bucks from now on bc it is a stupid road anyway.

Reactions: mja

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So ummm. Guys. I recall you joked about me going to Florida last year in August (deservedly :laugh: )

...what do you think about Miami in October, November? Good idea?
Be prepared for potential hurricanes.

I’d stay in Ft. Lauderdale though and make day trips to Miami if you really wanna check out Miami though.

Reactions: kudymen

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Some stretches are 40..some 45. I only recently started driving it more because of the 95 incident otherwise I take it only for about 8 miles on my one office day a week and I am aware of that stretch. These other ones I didn't have any familiarity at all and again just driving a normal speed with the flow of traffic. I'm just avoiding it for trips to Bucks from now on bc it is a stupid road anyway.
Which lane are you driving in in the “flow of traffic?”

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Which lane are you driving in in the “flow of traffic?”
What's it matter? I'm usually in the middle one. Depends on the stretch and where I am going. The middle one has less lights at some points hence more flow...

The fact is that it is a shitty road made more punitive so I am avoiding it. Probably the intended purpose anyway since yeah it is a death and now until Oct a ridiculously long speed trap..

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So ummm. Guys. I recall you joked about me going to Florida last year in August (deservedly :laugh: )

...what do you think about Miami in October, November? Good idea?
I use the Ft Lauderdale airport always vs Miami's crazy one. I just then drive down with a rental and either stay in Ft Lauderdale or north Miami.

Lauderdale by the Sea is a cool little safe community. Stayed with my ex gf and we had a nice time. Fairly affordable too.

Last edited:
Reactions: kudymen

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

Finally...looks like it will have to get approval for an extension..

Authorization for the Pennsylvania experiment with speed cameras is scheduled to run out Oct. 19, 2023.
You’re not just driving 1-2 miles over the trigger point. You’re driving 12-13 miles over the speed limit.
Either slow down or drive a different way.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
You’re not just driving 1-2 miles over the trigger point. You’re driving 12-13 miles over the speed limit.
Either slow down or drive a different way.

See post 853.....for artificially low speed limits

I'm avoiding it altogether apart from my 1 day a week to work.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
See post 853.....for artificially low speed limits

I'm avoiding it altogether apart from my 1 day a week to work.
It’s a 12 lane highway that has pedestrian crossings. To my knowledge that’s unheard of elsewhere. When you get into business routes the speed limit always drops from 60ish to 40ish.
Just slow down dude.
That’s coming from someone that’s against cameras, as you have the constitutional right to know your accuser.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It’s a 12 lane highway that has pedestrian crossings. To my knowledge that’s unheard of elsewhere. When you get into business routes the speed limit always drops from 60ish to 40ish.
Just slow down dude.
That’s coming from someone that’s against cameras, as you have the constitutional right to know your accuser.
I hear ya....trust me. Lessons ($300) worth learned. Personally, instead of allowing for the buffer in the first place just effin post the reasonable speed limit at that true limit and say limit is strictly enforced. Not this parking authority game and revenue grab they are playing. Shit is like some road in total surveillance society China.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I am fairly conservative with going over the limit especially in the small towns around where I live. State roads I set my cruise control no faster than 7 over the limit. I just go with the flow of traffic on the interstates. Haven’t had a ticket in 21 years.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I hear ya....trust me. Lessons ($300) worth learned. Personally, instead of allowing for the buffer in the first place just effin post the reasonable speed limit at that true limit and say limit is strictly enforced. Not this parking authority game and revenue grab they are playing. Shit is like some road in total surveillance society China.
The buffer is probably the +/- speed the camera is calibrated for and leaves room for a camera slightly out of calibration

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Well, the Boulevard is one of the most dangerous and dealy roads in the state. Hate to say it, but i avoid it at ll costs.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Thing that gets me is the city does shit to control the Mad Max gangs of marauders on their ATV's but let's go after a Volt driving like a normal person and hit up by big bro fascist tech with zero reasonable margin for human operator error...
Ride your dirt bike to work?

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I remember a few years ago I was like 2 or 3 cars back waiting for the light to change at Cottman & Torresdale. This dirt bike came up going the wrong way on the other side, popped a wheelie like just after the Septa depot that's on that side and went across the red light and kept going up torresdale avenue. There was a cop pulling out of the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru and did nothing.

Then the guy that was turning onto Cottman started his turn with the light still red by like 1/2 second with no oncoming traffic and that same cop put the lights on and forced the traffic to stop so he could follow up onto Cottman and give that guy a ticket.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I remember a few years ago I was like 2 or 3 cars back waiting for the light to change at Cottman & Torresdale. This dirt bike came up going the wrong way on the other side, popped a wheelie like just after the Septa depot that's on that side and went across the red light and kept going up torresdale avenue. There was a cop pulling out of the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru and did nothing.

Then the guy that was turning onto Cottman started his turn with the light still red by like 1/2 second with no oncoming traffic and that same cop put the lights on and forced the traffic to stop so he could follow up onto Cottman and give that guy a ticket.
They got the guy who's easier to catch

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
They got the guy who's easier to catch
Yea. Also the one who's less likely to cause an accident. I know the city has at times (maybe still does) have a 'do not chase' policy... but I feel like all of these riders KNOWING about that just emboldened them to ridiculous levels.

Reactions: Young Sandwich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad