Speculation: 10 Trade Suggestions from The Score

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It makes sense if we’re planning to keep Serg on the right and we’re giving up on Koekkoek. As far as non-NHL prospects go we’ve got Cernak and Foote on the right and only Masin with any real promise on the left. But if we’re planning to move Serg back to the left and/or we’re going to give Koekkoek a real shot then we definitely don’t need another lefty. Besides if we’re trading TJ I’d rather bring back somebody with at least some NHL experience for more of an immediate contribution and to minimize the likelihood of acquiring a bust for one of our top forwards.

I think the Serg move came out of necessity. We always tend to revert back to R/L, which, IMO, is coming more from Yzerman than Cooper, but they're both students of Mike Babcock in their own way.

I'd be surprised if we start the year with Serg on the right, unless we find ourselves stuck for a righty again.

I don't like the idea of moving Johnson for a prospect either, but I do think Yzerman would put the cap-space to good use.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I think the Serg move came out of necessity. We always tend to revert back to R/L, which, IMO, is coming more from Yzerman than Cooper, but they're both students of Mike Babcock in their own way.

I'd be surprised if we start the year with Serg on the right, unless we find ourselves stuck for a righty again.

I don't like the idea of moving Johnson for a prospect either, but I do think Yzerman would put the cap-space to good use.

I won’t be surprised if they move him back to the left at some point but do I think we’ll see him on the right again this season. We’re going to want Serg in our top four before long (if not to start the season) and unless they either drop McDonagh to the bottom pairing or move him to the right there’s no way to do that with Serg on the left. Besides he actually prefers the right side so Yzerman and Cooper’s obsession with handedness aside it’s not like it’s degrading his performance any having him there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I won’t be surprised if they move him back to the left at some point but do I think we’ll see him on the right again this season. We’re going to want Serg in our top four before long (if not to start the season) and unless they either drop McDonagh to the bottom pairing or move him to the right there’s no way to do that with Serg on the left. Besides he actually prefers the right side so Yzerman and Cooper’s obsession with handedness aside it’s not like it’s degrading his performance any having him there.

I think we'll shelter him more than that for a few more years. I can see him on the right if we start the year with a similar D to what we have now. I could also see him bumping Coburn to a #7 and playing the left.

We've acquired a few Dmen over the years who play their opposite side normally, and we've always wound up slotting them with their handedness, and using them on the opposite side only when necessary. I'm not sure that this obsession with handedness started with Babcock (it might go back to Bowman), but it's definitely a very real thing.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Some interesting ideas here... Here's the 10 deals, but the actual post has the rationale listed for each deal as well.

Matchmaker: Projecting new homes for this summer's top 10 trade candidates

To Vegas - Erik Karlsson (extended), Bobby Ryan
To Ottawa - 2019 1st, Alex Tuch, Cody Glass, Nicolas Hague

To St. Louis - Ryan O'Reilly
To Buffalo - 2018 1st (Winnipeg's), Robert Thomas, Vince Dunn

To Minnesota - Phil Kessel
To Pittsburgh - Jason Zucker, Kirill Kaprizov

To Florida - Max Pacioretty (extended)
To Montreal - 2018 1st, Nick Bjugstad

To Los Angeles - Jeff Skinner (extended)
To Carolina - 2018 1st, Alex Iafallo

To Calgary - Mike Hoffman
To Ottawa - 2020 2nd, Sam Bennett, Rasmus Andersson

To Chicago - Justin Faulk, Scott Darling
To Carolina - 2018 1st (Nashville's), Marian Hossa, Chad Krys

To Toronto - Chris Tanev
To Vancouver - 2018 1st, Josh Leivo, Connor Carrick

To Arizona - Tyler Johnson
To Tampa Bay - 2019 2nd, Pierre-Olivier Joseph

To NY Islanders - Philipp Grubauer (RFA)
To Washington - 2018 1st (Calgary's)
Montreal obviously declines that pathetic offer.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Too many futures going from Vegas to Ottawa. I personally don't think Vegas has the prospect depth to make a deal like this yet.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Some interesting ideas here... Here's the 10 deals, but the actual post has the rationale listed for each deal as well.

Matchmaker: Projecting new homes for this summer's top 10 trade candidates

To Vegas - Erik Karlsson (extended), Bobby Ryan
To Ottawa - 2019 1st, Alex Tuch, Cody Glass, Nicolas Hague *I think OTT would want a star player

To St. Louis - Ryan O'Reilly
To Buffalo - 2018 1st (Winnipeg's), Robert Thomas, Vince Dunn *Bad for STL

To Minnesota - Phil Kessel
To Pittsburgh - Jason Zucker, Kirill Kaprizov *Bad for MIN

To Florida - Max Pacioretty (extended)
To Montreal - 2018 1st, Nick Bjugstad *Pretty Fair

To Los Angeles - Jeff Skinner (extended)
To Carolina - 2018 1st, Alex Iafallo *Bad for CAR

To Calgary - Mike Hoffman
To Ottawa - 2020 2nd, Sam Bennett, Rasmus Andersson *Pretty Fair

To Chicago - Justin Faulk, Scott Darling
To Carolina - 2018 1st (Nashville's), Marian Hossa, Chad Krys *Bad for CAR

To Toronto - Chris Tanev
To Vancouver - 2018 1st, Josh Leivo, Connor Carrick *Pretty Fair

To Arizona - Tyler Johnson
To Tampa Bay - 2019 2nd, Pierre-Olivier Joseph *Bad for TBL

To NY Islanders - Philipp Grubauer (RFA)
To Washington - 2018 1st (Calgary's) *Pretty Fair

My thoughts above.

Internettoughguy314

Oct 20, 2017
The Blues wouldn't trade Thomas or Dunn straight up for O'Reilly. That deal is insanity. If that means that there is no chance for a deal so be it.

Reactions: Colt55

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I mean...I could see that being Botterill's initial ask for ROR. Suppose you can't fault the guy for swinging for the fences.

It's kind of similar to the Richards trade return that it's been reported he's looking for, if you consider Schenn ~ Thomas, Simmonds ~ Dunn, LA 2nd ~ WPG 1st. However, even if you consider those asset values comparable in a vacuum, I would argue that the value of youth generally in the NHL has gone up quite a bit since 2011.

Regardless, if the sabres decide to trade ROR, I doubt they get a package this valuable. Blues fans would tar and feather Doug Armstrong if he traded Dunn and Thomas like this.
I like Thomas he's got a lot of potential, with that said he's nowhere near the best prospect in hockey whereas Schenn was at the very least in the conversation for that distinction. I don't blame Blues fans for wanting to keep their prospects and build from within. It's the route I'd prefer Armstrong to take if I were a Blues fan. However, if he does decide to pursue O'Reilly and lands him I think there will be a lot of upset Blues fans at least intially given what he had to give up to land him. A 1st line center with term, in his prime won't come cheap.
Swap Thomas for kyrou and then buffalo eats 50% percent of ROR salary.
Buffalo isn't retaining anything of significance on a 5 year contract and 50% would never happen. Guaranteed.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There's no way Vegas can afford to trade their 2017 1st (Glass), 1st 2018 (Tatar trade) and 1st 2019 (Karlsson trade).

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
First decent ROR proposal I've seen on here. About time someone realizes what exactly he's worth

60 point centers who play the toughest minutes, assignments and zone starts and break records on face offs have value in this league?

Get. Out. Of. Town.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
60 point centers who play the toughest minutes, assignments and zone starts and break records on face offs have value in this league?

Get. Out. Of. Town.
That's all good and great but that's a deal Stl wouldn't make, at all.

Reactions: Colt55

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I like Thomas he's got a lot of potential, with that said he's nowhere near the best prospect in hockey whereas Schenn was at the very least in the conversation for that distinction. I don't blame Blues fans for wanting to keep their prospects and build from within. It's the route I'd prefer Armstrong to take if I were a Blues fan. However, if he does decide to pursue O'Reilly and lands him I think there will be a lot of upset Blues fans at least intially given what he had to give up to land him. A 1st line center with term, in his prime won't come cheap.
Thomas is not the best prospect in hockey, but he is comfortably in a lot of knowledgeable scouts/writers top 10. The difference in value between LA's 2nd in 2012 (61 OA) and WPG's 1st in 2018 (29 OA) is significant. Simmonds and Dunn are probably close in value, tho I would give a slight edge to Dunn based on position. Looking at the packages, I think they are at the very least comparable.

Problem is, this comparison ignores the fact that speed and youth are more important in the NHL today vs 2011. Young contributing roster players on ELC's, top prospects, and 1st round picks are worth more today than ever.

Of course a C like ROR won't come cheap, don't think anyone expects him to...and as I say, I think that sort of package probably would be Botterill's initial ask. However, I would be very surprised (and more than a little pissed) if he gets it from the Blues. All due respect, I would be a bit surprised if Botterill receives his initial asking price from anyone given A) negotiations usually start with a high ask, low bid, and then meet somewhere in the middle B) comparing his ask for Kane prior to the deadline and what he actually ended up returning.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Thomas is not the best prospect in hockey, but he is comfortably in a lot of knowledgeable scouts/writers top 10. The difference in value between LA's 2nd in 2012 (61 OA) and WPG's 1st in 2018 (29 OA) is significant. Simmonds and Dunn are probably close in value, tho I would give a slight edge to Dunn based on position. Looking at the packages, I think they are at the very least comparable.

Problem is, this comparison ignores the fact that speed and youth are more important in the NHL today vs 2011. Young contributing roster players on ELC's, top prospects, and 1st round picks are worth more today than ever.

Of course a C like ROR won't come cheap, don't think anyone expects him to...and as I say, I think that sort of package probably would be Botterill's initial ask. However, I would be very surprised (and more than a little pissed) if he gets it from the Blues. All due respect, I would be a bit surprised if Botterill receives his initial asking price from anyone given A) negotiations usually start with a high ask, low bid, and then meet somewhere in the middle B) comparing his ask for Kane prior to the deadline and what he actually ended up returning.

Kane was a pending UFA; we either took what we could get or got nothing. ROR us under contract for 5 more years. If no one wants to pony up and pay what he's worth, we keep him.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
There was also reportedly only one offer worth anything for Kane. We already have reports of Montreal, Vancouver and Carolina being in on ROR with St Louis also needing center.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I like the Van/Tor trade, but Tor fans will not start talking about Tanevs injuries and that he isn't even worth a 2nd, etc.

That’s a reasonable deal actually because Tanev is probably worth a late first it’s when Canuck fans start demanding Kapanen or Liljegren along with it that’s the problem. His injury history is well documented.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
That’s a reasonable deal actually because Tanev is probably worth a late first it’s when Canuck fans start demanding Kapanen or Liljegren along with it that’s the problem. His injury history is well documented.
2 years ago, or even before last season it would have been Kap and Lilj(the pick, not necessarily picked there). he had an extra year on his contract and had was was considered an unlucky season with injuries. This year after a repeat in injuries a 1st and 2nd is around where he is valued to me. He is a game changer when he plays, and he likely plays more in toronto due to a better schedule and a more offensively gifted team, so less time in his own zone blocking shots.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Pass on the Tanev deal. Id rather hold until the TDL and pray he stays healthy. If so we should get a much better package than a late 1st and a B - prospect

Last edited:
Reactions: JuniorNelson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad