Speculation: 10 Trade Suggestions from The Score

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Some interesting ideas here... Here's the 10 deals, but the actual post has the rationale listed for each deal as well.

Matchmaker: Projecting new homes for this summer's top 10 trade candidates

To Vegas - Erik Karlsson (extended), Bobby Ryan
To Ottawa - 2019 1st, Alex Tuch, Cody Glass, Nicolas Hague

To St. Louis - Ryan O'Reilly
To Buffalo - 2018 1st (Winnipeg's), Robert Thomas, Vince Dunn

To Minnesota - Phil Kessel
To Pittsburgh - Jason Zucker, Kirill Kaprizov

To Florida - Max Pacioretty (extended)
To Montreal - 2018 1st, Nick Bjugstad

To Los Angeles - Jeff Skinner (extended)
To Carolina - 2018 1st, Alex Iafallo

To Calgary - Mike Hoffman
To Ottawa - 2020 2nd, Sam Bennett, Rasmus Andersson

To Chicago - Justin Faulk, Scott Darling
To Carolina - 2018 1st (Nashville's), Marian Hossa, Chad Krys

To Toronto - Chris Tanev
To Vancouver - 2018 1st, Josh Leivo, Connor Carrick

To Arizona - Tyler Johnson
To Tampa Bay - 2019 2nd, Pierre-Olivier Joseph

To NY Islanders - Philipp Grubauer (RFA)
To Washington - 2018 1st (Calgary's)

Last edited:
Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kaprizov being stuck in Russia until 2020 makes that one pretty unappealing as a Penguins fan. I like Kaprizov, but not enough to wait for him until 2020.

Flames67

Jun 8, 2018
CAL-OTT is close, might be slight overpayment from CAL. Maybe a 3rd instead or Kylington/Wotherspoon instead of Andersson.

Alternatively, could go T.J. Brodie + 2nd.

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
I think I would do the Tor/Van trade as a Leafs fan. What have his injuries been? Freak things, or chronic problems?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
That deal is not good for Vegas at all especially with Bobby included. Take out Tuch and it would be closer, but if Ryan is in the deal the Vegas offer should be a 1st+ a 2nd+ Theodore+ Suzuki+ Eakin.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
To Vegas - Erik Karlsson, Bobby Ryan
To Ottawa - 2019 1st, Alex Tuch, Cody Glass, Nicolas Hague that's a lot but works if Karlsson re-signs

To St. Louis - Ryan O'Reilly
To Buffalo - 2018 1st (Winnipeg's), Robert Thomas, Vince Dunn that's a lot to give up

To Los Angeles - Jeff Skinner
To Carolina - 2018 1st, Alex Iafallo Skinner should probably get more back

To Toronto - Chris Tanev
To Vancouver - 2018 1st, Josh Leivo, Connor Carrick meh, no interest in either Leivo or Carrick

Everything else seems fairly reasonable. Kessel trade is great value for Pittsburgh, even if Kaprizov doesn't come over for a year or two. Could also always flip him.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
That Faulk trade would be a disappointment. Moving out a defender that logs Top 4 minutes and is the team's biggest offensive threat on the blueline for a late 1st and another LHD prospect to save $4.9 mil (Darling's buyout - Hossa) is a very cheap thing to do.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm going to go ahead and assume that one of the trade partners in each trade feels the same way I do about that Vancouver-Toronto trade. Which is:

I can see why the other side does it, but it's not the right return.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think I would do the Tor/Van trade as a Leafs fan. What have his injuries been? Freak things, or chronic problems?

Freak things and Canuck Luck. A lot of those games have been from illness and random broken bones and sprains, mercifully there has been nothing reoccurring. If he gets away from our medical staff, our team composition and our horrible schedule he won't be on the IR as often.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Don't see Karlsson getting dealt but if we have to, I'm absolutely on board with that package. Likely requires him to agree to an extension first.

Also totally down with that Flames trade for Hoffman. 2020 2nd is rough though. They love dealing 2nds more than Ottawa

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I like the Van/Tor trade, but Tor fans will not start talking about Tanevs injuries and that he isn't even worth a 2nd, etc.

Every Tanev thread is also filled with Canucks fans asking for Nylander, Marner or Liljegren + 1st.

Personally, as a leafs fan, I've always been ok with giving up a 1st+ for Tanev.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kessel trade is great value for Pittsburgh, even if Kaprizov doesn't come over for a year or two. Could also always flip him.

There are just too many issues with adding Kaprizov. If he's not coming over immediately (which he's not coming over until 2020), the Penguins end up worse for 2 years and waste 2 years of Crosby and Malkin. The problem is if they get him as an asset, they wouldn't want to trade him because his potential is so high. No team would offer a return worthwhile enough to trade Kaprizov, just because he's stuck in Russia.

I'd rather just say no to him unless he's coming over to North America. Most teams aren't going to give a worthwhile offer for Kaprizov, unless you're bad and don't plan on being good for the next 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->