GDT: 10-13-16 Boston Bruins vs Columbus Blue Jackets

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I was at the game last night. How was that a sellout? I sat in the upper deck, and there were loads of seats available in sections 202 216, 219, and several rows in the lower sections were empty as well

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I did like when Anderson dropped the gloves, even though the refs broke it up. After that though, he just seemed like a non-factor. No glaring mistakes, just kind of there.

So no different than the 4th line we have been rolling the last few years? At least he makes a hell of a lot less than Clarkson, Borque and Boll.

I think Anderson will be fine. He was dominant in the AHL playoffs last year.

Have been to the last 5 home openers and this was the first year I didn't renew season tickets. I gotta say, the losses don't sting nearly as bad when I don't have to drive a few hours home afterwards.

When Boston scored their first I felt like they were going to lose. I just had to keep reminding myself the Tribe is in the ALCS, and we just swept Boston.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Just wanted to say that, before last year, I would never have thought Marchand was going to reach the level he's playing at right now. He's a game-breaker and I used to think he'd max out as a Ken Linseman player - the ultimate 'rat' who could score but wasn't a top tier player.

As for the Jackets, I'm trying not to lose all the optimism I had yesterday at this time. Trying very hard...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
just listened to Tort's presser...all minute 30 of it...yeah, he seems lost...gonna be a long season I think...I'll root for them when they're here...but feel for the ppl that buy tickets...

Every Jackets coach has ended up like that. Even Hitch, who, while I was never as big a fan of his as most, was nothing if not a thoughtful, diligent tactician.

That said, I have not listened back to last night's presser, but it will be interesting to do so.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Every Jackets coach has ended up like that. Even Hitch, who, while I was never as big a fan of his as most, was nothing if not a thoughtful, diligent tactician.

That said, I have not listened back to last night's presser, but it will be interesting to do so.

agreed, but not 20whatever games into their tenure lol...usually a year or two afterwards...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
agreed, but not 20whatever games into their tenure lol...usually a year or two afterwards...

Yep for sure, although Torts coached 70-some games last year.

And if your read is right, it's coming off 1) a poor performance by his team in the WCH; and 2) the much-ballyhooed 'first full camp with Torts'. Those are not encouraging things.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Yep for sure, although Torts coached 70-some games last year.

And if your read is right, it's coming off 1) a poor performance by his team in the WCH; and 2) the much-ballyhooed 'first full camp with Torts'. Those are not encouraging things.

70some? wow...doesn't seem that many...but yeah, i guess so with Richards gone after 8...either way on topic, didn't watch the game b/c haven't found a bar with center ice yet...and the DET/TBL game was entertaining...just following on twitter and reading the recap, I would agree with Sam, not ready for "same old jackets" but man its hard to not think it...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
70some? wow...doesn't seem that many...but yeah, i guess so with Richards gone after 8...either way on topic, didn't watch the game b/c haven't found a bar with center ice yet...and the DET/TBL game was entertaining...just following on twitter and reading the recap, I would agree with Sam, not ready for "same old jackets" but man its hard to not think it...

Literally texting pretty much this same thing with a buddy right now.

So, maybe it wasn't Richards' fault after all? ;)

I asked this in the days right before and after he was fired. I don't think FHCTR was a high-quality coach, but I was uncertain that Tortorella was the man to "fix" it. Irrespective of whose "fault" it was/is, and irrespective of my opinion of Torts, it is problematic. That said, he is a gut reaction type guy in pressers, so perhaps his tone is not dissimilar to ours through the latter part of this thread.

Dk Math

Jun 12, 2016

He can not say everything in the press that he think or know! I am sure he sees what is wrong.
But the question is how do you get your guy's stay with concept, when they panic?
How do you lower 9 turn overs?
How does a coach both get the trust from his player, to make them follow. How does he motivate them?

When they goes through the press, they has already lost the battle. When such happens, then it would be time for a change in leadership.

And No it is not just Richards guild, but you can not exchange the players that easily because of contract issue.

Both we are not there yet, there was especially one forward line, that fails their defensive duties! Especially fail to get the puck out of the the the defensive zone.
That player, admit the failure. They where out performed and it is as simple as that. When you out perform the opponent, there are very good chance to force a few turnovers. Turnover that easily lead to victory.
The sign over the door, of locker room should be.
No amount of talent reach anything, without effort. Since effort beat talent. It is great effort by a talent that make stars.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I have to agree on Wennberg. He's progressing very well. But I'd still use him as a playmaker lower in the lineup.

We have great forward depth, but imo we're spreading the talent too much. Maybe we don't have enough talent for a legit top line, but imo saad-dubi-foligno -line could be a great shutdown line against top lines. Putting dubi with saad and foligno would allow him to position himself lower. Dubi doesn't have the foot speed to be effective all over the ice. He needs to stay low and in the middle.

That would certainly help defensively. Though I'd say that Calvert is just as good defensively as Saad and he can take that job, freeing up Saad to play an offensive role. You don't want too much scoring locked up in shutdown duty.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Adversity is not only a bad thing as in the ash there is a rich and resourceful ground to plant on after the fire settles down. With the pendant of Dubinsky breaking so early on this result might be a blessing in disguise as in another case they might have been dropping points for the next 20 rounds before it would have been properly highlighted. This loss can only weld the team together.

Although I didn't see the play I it sounds alarming if whatever Wennberg and Hartnell had already found in ice hockey of cooperation has been sacrificed for vertical-positioned ice hockey which on the other hand requires individual ability beyond all. At least the recent draft pedigree of the Blue Jackets will be properly tested this season.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not much to add.

The defense is young. And bad. How many other teams have a guy with ZERO NHL experience playing on it's first pair? Terrible that we have to throw him into that situation but shows how badly we've managed our d-corp depth over the years (both the draft and acquiring young dmen).

Upside is the d-man can get better but it will take 40-80 games. It won't happen over night.

Start with the team that beat us. :laugh::laugh:

Actually the Bruins have two D - Carlo on the top pair, and O'Gara on the second pair, who were playing their first NHL games last night. So they were greener than us with those two.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
But the question is how do you get your guy's stay with concept, when they panic?
How do you lower 9 turn overs?
How does a coach both get the trust from his player, to make them follow. How does he motivate them?[/B]

A coach has to be a leader. He has to have followers - whether that is all 23 guys in the room or if he has 3-5 leaders who follow, then the rest of the team buys into them (that was Hitch's thinking - not that he would have 23 guys but his core leadership would buy into him and they would get the others to follow them).

Especially with a young team it can be a challenge if you're losing most nights to buy in and stay committed. Heck Hitch went to the playoffs one season and the next the players quit listening to him.

I do think Torts is an upgrade over Richards, but I don't think he is a good fit with this team as constructed. Seems to be more of the guy you bring in when the old coach couldn't get any more out of them. Goes back that you hire a true coach for a young team, then at some point once they are further down the road you bring in the guy who can get a little more out of them and put them over the top. I see Torts as more of the latter guy. So could be interesting.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
.............the much-ballyhooed 'first full camp with Torts'. Those are not encouraging things.

I didn't see a physical energy problem last night.

My guess is that it's a lot of new guys adjusting to some new tactics and after a few mistakes they start to play very tentatively (which doesn't help). Our breakouts rely on a lot of quick passes, and you could see them slow down over the course of the game as they started doublechecking every play. The system doesn't function that way.

I think mental composure is still an issue, not for everyone, but for a lot of these guys.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I am willing to live with rookie mistakes, I will even go to games to see them compete and grow as players. What is getting old, though, is to hear Duby after a game talk about how he needs to be better. Yes, we know that, and that is part of the problem. Duby is who he is, getting paid an enormous sum of money, who won't be substantially better because he has reached his potential.

He can be better than that. Give him a new line and an easier role. Re-focus him on shutdown or offence. He's trying to do both and doing a crap job of it.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
When it was 3-3, I turned to my girlfriend and said "you know it's over right? Every single person in the building, including the Jackets, know they are going to lose"

And they did.

Anderson isn't ready for the NHL, whoever 65 is, isn't either. No offensive talent. Everyone is playing a line higher than their talent level dictates, sometimes two. No true number one line players or talent. All toughness has been stripped of the team or scratched. Can't win face-offs. Bjorkstrand was pushed off the puck every time he got it. No speed.

This could be used as an example in a writing class on how to compose a message entirely of statements that are literally false. Except for "And they did".

And the Anderson part is subjective, but it's also odd that you are ragging on Anderson. That kid is tougher at this point than any player who left the team. He'll be one of your favorites very soon.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Although I didn't see the play I it sounds alarming if whatever Wennberg and Hartnell had already found in ice hockey of cooperation has been sacrificed for vertical-positioned ice hockey which on the other hand requires individual ability beyond all. At least the recent draft pedigree of the Blue Jackets will be properly tested this season.

If Hartnell isn't getting to space in time we're honestly better off just letting Wennberg do it all himself. Bjorkstrand was also not quick enough.

I have no doubts that that line can do some damage once they get the cycle going and can make plays. But if they can't get started...

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I was at the game last night. How was that a sellout? I sat in the upper deck, and there were loads of seats available in sections 202 216, 219, and several rows in the lower sections were empty as well

Corporate probably bought the seats that weren't going to sell. Paper sell out for the home opener.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Last night can be summarized with the following three statements

1. Defensive turnovers in our own zone killed us.
2. Trying to be "pretty" offensively cost us at least 6 quality shots on goal.
3. Our "breakout" and long passing is atrocious.

That being said, I'll see you at the game Saturday evening.

* can't sell my tickets when we don't win so another 4 hours driving for me!

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Some quick thoughts:

-I don't think we won a single face-off in the third period.
-Gagner was absolutely invisible all night, other than the time he ate **** and turned the puck over in the defensive zone.
-Wennberg looked great, but why can't he win a damn draw? Goodness.
-Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson was atrocious in every zone. They should never be together again.
-I really like what I saw from Werenski-Jones, although there were some obvious mistakes that I'll attribute to growing pains. They could be a legitimate top-pair.
-Murray was meh.
-Johnson had a very good game imo.
-Nutivaara I think was trying to do too much....he needs to simplify things.
-I have no opinion on Bob, he had no chance on a few of the goals.
-I feel like we were chasing for much of the last 40 minutes, could be due to NOT WINNING A FACE-OFF.

Side note: I think Wennberg and Jenner should be flipped in the lineup (from C to W and W to C). Jenner has proven he can win face-offs and Wennberg just can't for some reason. I think if Wenns was on a line with Dubi and Atkinson, they could be so much better defensively and still produce some offense.

Wennberg-Dubinksy-Atkinson
Saad-Jenner-Foligno
Hartnell-Karlsson-Bjorkstrand
Calvert-Gagner-Anderson

One last takeaway from last night: If we have ANY hope at all to compete for a playoff spot, we desperately need a top-6 C addition. Don't see how that's feasible though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad