GDT: 10-13-16 Boston Bruins vs Columbus Blue Jackets

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Yup, weren't there 6 new guys in lineup tonight ? New players looked good , better than most of the vets. Boston is big on the backend , seemed like chara was on ice all night

That's what tonight showed to me. For all the hype on the kids, they're still gonna make plenty of mistakes. See Werenski's great offensive play tonight, as well as a few brutal turnovers as well.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I am not giving up on this season but anyone know who the #1 kid on the ISS scouting service for next year is?

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Top line D was a big let down. Hopefully they can fulfill th rolls say are assigned to but that was brutal watching jones and ski

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Well, you gotta admit, this game does ring a bell. In fact, it's pretty much a microcosm of being a Jackets fan.

I'll give you that.

I'm sure I'll get accused of piling on, but the third was especially disappointing, given all the hype around the mythical "Torts camp"

Eikka

May 21, 2015
I don't get that we have maybe three forwards (dubinsky, foligno, saad) who can swing with the big boys, so why won't they put them on the same line.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Being responsible for several pinnacle defensive plays is doing well?

Disregarding the stat line. They cost cbj at least 3 goals maybe 4 but I left before than.

Murray and Savard were far worse. The Dubinsky line got abused and Wennberg can't win a faceoff.

With a few minutes left, I look up and say "Put the Karlsson line out". They drop in Dubinsky's line and bam.... I'm like I don't know why have Murray and Savard out there with 3 minutes left... Sure enough penned in. It was pretty amusing to watch the bad matchups.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Whew. What can you say?

Jenner - Dubinsky - Atkinson

These guys got killed in their own zone (like last year in a nutshell). Not making good plays to get out of the zone, leaving Bruins wide open in front when the D are occupied, etc... Dubinsky was -5, and terribly embarrassed about it in the locker room. He said he has to be better defensively and his unit has to be better. Late in the game Torts put Calvert back with them and I would seriously consider making that permanent. Dubinsky (and Atkinson) is a plus player with Calvert and a huge minus with Jenner.

Saad - Gagner - Foligno

Foligno was winning just about every puck battle, had his legs going. I wasn't sure about his legs after a slow preseason but he was catching the Bruins on the rush and shutting down their cycle. Gagner was losing just about every puck battle. He didn't look too slow but one on one with a Bruin, the other guy came away with it. You saw Torts cut his minutes late. Saad was Saad. They had some of the best cycles of the night.

Hartnell - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand

Bjorkstrand's timing was off (get used to it, we got ourselves a streaky sniper). Wennberg was great. Hartnell wasn't quick enough to get in the zone.

Calvert - Karlsson - Anderson

Maybe our best line. Sad to say, we may need to re-shuffle guys higher up in the lineup, so the 4th unit might be broken up.

Werenski - Jones

They looked great net forward (and created goals), but they miscommunicated on a couple plays behind the net that led to costly turnovers. I am willing to assume this is just a new player / new partner thing.

Murray - Savard

I'm disappointed in this duo after getting victimized on the 4th goal. Murray let a man get behind him and then Savard (and the forwards!) still let Marchand beat them to the leftover puck. It's like giving up a double-breakaway on your goalie.

We saw this in the pre-season too. Savard got caught on a pinch and the forwards didn't get back to cover. Savard has to play that way, it's our system, and the F's have to be more ready to cover because he is our slowest of this group of 6D.

Nutivaara - Johnson

Johnson looked good to me. Not a great start for Nutivaara, but it's one game and one play where he got turnstiled (the 5th goal). I'd like to see what he can do next game, though I wouldn't be upset to see Harrington get a shot either (Prout on the other hand).

Overall, it's a new system with lots of new combos and you could tell that once guys were starting to play tentatively and not follow the system, that things fell apart.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Backes, Marchand, and Pastrnak absolutely destoyed the Dubinsky line tonight. Probably the biggest surprise for me.

Bob didn't surprise me, the turnovers didn't surprise me, but seeing our best line from last year get fed like that was rough.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I guess I saw pretty much what I expected. I was surprised by how bad some played though, like the afformentioned Murray and Jenner. The rookies are gonna do rookie things and thats the way its gotta be I guess, but the vets need to be better.

I think trying to spread out the rookies on D by pairing them with Vets weakened the whole unit. Torts may have to play his trump cards and hope the rest is good enough to tread water.

Also we need to learn how to clear the zone.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Backes, Marchand, and Pastrnak absolutely destoyed the Dubinsky line tonight. Probably the biggest surprise for me.

Bob didn't surprise me, the turnovers didn't surprise me, but seeing our best line from last year get fed like that was rough.

That pretty much sums up the night. :shakehead

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I always love it when we dissect the goals against and figure out what went wrong. But let's get our facts correct first. If you don't buy my take watch them yourself.

First goal: Werenski turnover and zero coverage by Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson.

Second goal: It was the third man into the play that scored (the D took the first two guys) and no one picked him up. That's on Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson.

Third goal: Jones with a no-look to the usual corner, when Werenski wasn't there.

Fourth goal: Murray-Savard double-breakaway cluster****. And of course no coverage from Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson.

Fifth goal: Nutivaara got turnstiled.

Being responsible for several pinnacle defensive plays is doing well?

Disregarding the stat line. They cost cbj at least 3 goals maybe 4 but I left before than.

Werenski-Jones were a part of all 3 goals for, and part of 3 goals against. They weren't a big reason we lost the game.

Murray and Savard were far worse. The Dubinsky line got abused and Wennberg can't win a faceoff.

With a few minutes left, I look up and say "Put the Karlsson line out". They drop in Dubinsky's line and bam.... I'm like I don't know why have Murray and Savard out there with 3 minutes left... Sure enough penned in. It was pretty amusing to watch the bad matchups.

I agree that it's not on Werenski-Jones, but I don't think it's on Murray-Savard either. Savard was -1 (albeit a terrible minus one). Dubinsky was -5 and his unit was bad regardless of the D pair.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I was a big supporter of that line at one point but they never got their goals against down. This was a problem for them last year too. I've been saying for a while that Calvert has to get back with Dubinsky-Atkinson because they were a much better trio overall. And Jenner is much better apart.

Dubi and Jenner together last year: 3.71 GA/60 (goals against per 60 minutes).

Dubi is 2.64 GA/60 without Jenner and Jenner is 1.98 GA/60 without Dubi.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't get that we have maybe three forwards (dubinsky, foligno, saad) who can swing with the big boys, so why won't they put them on the same line.

Wennberg can swing with the big boys, not sure about Dubi.

If we're going to load up a line, perhaps:

Saad - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson
Calvert - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Hartnell - Karlsson - Gagner

or

Saad - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Calvert - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Hartnell - Gagner - Foligno
Jenner - Karlsson - Anderson

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I disagree with Torts about one thing. We played very well in the first period.
I totally understand why he said it in the presser. He doesn't want the team to feel good about the night in any way.

He stopped just short of saying that the vets let him down (maybe he DID say it if you read between the lines), but that would have been 100% right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad