GDT: 10-13-16 Boston Bruins vs Columbus Blue Jackets

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The mental toughness of this team, hahaha.

We played OK in the first, thanks to Rask for the absolute gift on the first goal. After that, it was all Boston all the time.

Felt like last years opener all over again, except they decided to blow this one early on in the 3rd instead of late. Absolute train wreck defensively by everyone.

Jackets hockey baby. Welcome back

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Trainwreck of a game.... Marchand dissected the Blue Jackets.
Could definitely see the green-ness of Werenski with some of those turnovers.
Didn't think we'd have to try and forget a game so soon, but here we are....

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The mental toughness of this team, hahaha.

We played OK in the first, thanks to Rask for the absolute gift on the first goal. After that, it was all Boston all the time.

Felt like last years opener all over again, except they decided to blow this one early on in the 3rd instead of late. Absolute train wreck defensively by everyone.

Jackets hockey baby. Welcome back

Some guys who were good defensively: Johnson, Foligno, Saad, Wennberg. And the fourth line guys.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
I always love it when we dissect the goals against and figure out what went wrong. But let's get our facts correct first. If you don't buy my take watch them yourself.

First goal: Werenski turnover and zero coverage by Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson.

Second goal: It was the third man into the play that scored (the D took the first two guys) and no one picked him up. That's on Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson.

Third goal: Jones with a no-look to the usual corner, when Werenski wasn't there.

Fourth goal: Murray-Savard double-breakaway cluster****. And of course no coverage from Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson.

Fifth goal: Nutivaara got turnstiled.

Werenski-Jones were a part of all 3 goals for, and part of 3 goals against. They weren't a big reason we lost the game.

I agree that it's not on Werenski-Jones, but I don't think it's on Murray-Savard either. Savard was -1 (albeit a terrible minus one). Dubinsky was -5 and his unit was bad regardless of the D pair.

I disagree. It's on jones and ski. They were a terrible pairing. Especially jones, he was exposed compared to his sheltered minutes in Nashville.

I'm not saying they won't get better but they can't be the first pairing like that.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I disagree. It's on jones and ski. They were a terrible pairing. Especially jones, he was exposed compared to his sheltered minutes in Nashville.

I'm not saying they won't get better but they can't be the first pairing like that.

Those are devastating words about a pair of players that helped produce our 3 goals and had 3 against.

I can't wait to see what you say about the guys who produced zero and had 5 against.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Sometimes it can be a good thing for a player to go unnoticed...
Sometimes it can be a bad thing for a player to go unnoticed...

But, am I the only one who didn't notice Hartnell?... like, at all. It's as if he didn't get play.

Some other thoughts...

No one is talking about how horrendous the Jackets were with turnovers tonight.. 9 giveaways compared to Boston's 2. ugly.

You'd figure with how bad Wennberg was last season with faceoffs that he'd try to strengthen that part of his game.. yeah, it is only one game but man... 4 for 14 tonight. He made up for it though with being one of the best forwards tonight on the ice for us.

Jackets missed on a huge momentum swing when Bjorkstrand had a wide open net on Tuuka in the 3rd but couldnt get his stick on the puck from a pass across the crease. Would've been huge at the time..

Despite only getting 11 minutes of ice time, I really liked Karlsson's game tonight. Had his legs moving well. Also thought Anderson's presence was strong in the first period... and then Bob.. looked sharrrrrrrp early on. If you would've told me in the first period that he'd give up 5 goals, I'd say no way... as the team folded so did Bob.

San Jose up next... oh boy.

Dk Math

Jun 12, 2016
No resson to panic about the rookies

I personal think that the mistakes made by the rookies, it to be expected. And neither Tort or Jarmo had any choice, with how last year went than to fill the lines up with them.

Yes, they made the some turns overs 4 to be exact and some ended in the goal. A surprise:amazed:? :sarcasm::naughty:
Guess not!

Yes it is a problem that probably should not happen, but that part is becoming better.
So no! It is not the rookie that was the problem in this match. They did as fine as any could expect. Yes we could hope for less!

It is the Jenner - Dubinsky - Atkinson line that killed everybody, they was simply horrible, especially on their defensive recovery duties. The center, Dubinsky, has as much responsibility in defense as the defense men themselves. You do not get a -5 int game lost with 6 goals against, without being the major reason.
This loss is mainly on :help:Dubinsky:help:.

Yes the defensive play of the Werenski - Jones need to improve, but Werenski did not make more errors than the center and forward should be ready to cover. Not more then most of them did cover.

Yes Bjorkstrand timing was off! and should have least one goal. They are coming from preseason speed to game speed, it is only natural that the timing is of on a rookie. He will score his share of goal, I am sure...

I do not think it is fair to claim the guild to any of the 3 rookies. They did fine.

And I am also worried about the speed of the older guys.
Yes Hartnell and Gagner was to slow to following the play of the game. Gagner it is not preseason speed.
But poor Karlsson if you park them on the 4th line.;)

Last edited:

Eikka

May 21, 2015
Wennberg can swing with the big boys, not sure about Dubi.

If we're going to load up a line, perhaps:

Saad - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson
Calvert - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Hartnell - Karlsson - Gagner

or

Saad - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Calvert - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Hartnell - Gagner - Foligno
Jenner - Karlsson - Anderson

I have to agree on Wennberg. He's progressing very well. But I'd still use him as a playmaker lower in the lineup.

We have great forward depth, but imo we're spreading the talent too much. Maybe we don't have enough talent for a legit top line, but imo saad-dubi-foligno -line could be a great shutdown line against top lines. Putting dubi with saad and foligno would allow him to position himself lower. Dubi doesn't have the foot speed to be effective all over the ice. He needs to stay low and in the middle.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Not much to add.

The defense is young. And bad. How many other teams have a guy with ZERO NHL experience playing on it's first pair? Terrible that we have to throw him into that situation but shows how badly we've managed our d-corp depth over the years (both the draft and acquiring young dmen).

Upside is the d-man can get better but it will take 40-80 games. It won't happen over night.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
From my perspective in section 116, as Torts said, the Jackets looked bad the entire game, not just the last two periods. I remarked to my buddy in the 1st that even though the Jackets were winning, they seemed to be chasing the puck.

Hartnell was a total non-factor last night...didn't even notice him. Dubi was awful, and Nutivaara didn't look ready for the NHL. Wouldn't be surprised to see Prout supplant him soon.

Don't want to overreact to one game, but man, that was deflating.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
When it was 3-3, I turned to my girlfriend and said "you know it's over right? Every single person in the building, including the Jackets, know they are going to lose"

And they did.

Anderson isn't ready for the NHL, whoever 65 is, isn't either. No offensive talent. Everyone is playing a line higher than their talent level dictates, sometimes two. No true number one line players or talent. All toughness has been stripped of the team or scratched. Can't win face-offs. Bjorkstrand was pushed off the puck every time he got it. No speed.

We might challenge last years 0-8 start, might even destroy it. So who's top pick this year?

Really glad I didn't renew my season tickets and just bought 3 games and make them prove it to me why I should buy the rest. Walking out of there last night was like the walk of shame in college, you can't believe that just happened and you are ashamed and don't want to make eye contact with anyone.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
At least you had the courage to say it straight to her face even though I don't know if it was the perfect venue for that.

slow-lol-zoom.gif

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I thought the Jackets were in good shape through the first 30 minutes. Not sure what happened, but after the 10 minute mark of the second, they just collapsed.

Agree pretty much about the kids, but I thought Anderson did bring a lot of energy, and he didn't put up with any ****. Knew Werenski would make some mistakes, but I really am expecting a little more from Jones at this point.

Other then face-offs, I thought Wennberg was good. No other forward stood out to me except Hartnell in a negative way. He really looked slow, and there were several times where he took his good old time getting back defensively. I see him being a healthy scratch quite a bit this season.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
just listened to Tort's presser...all minute 30 of it...yeah, he seems lost...gonna be a long season I think...I'll root for them when they're here...but feel for the ppl that buy tickets...

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I thought the Jackets were in good shape through the first 30 minutes. Not sure what happened, but after the 10 minute mark of the second, they just collapsed.

Agree pretty much about the kids, but I thought Anderson did bring a lot of energy, and he didn't put up with any ****. Knew Werenski would make some mistakes, but I really am expecting a little more from Jones at this point.

Other then face-offs, I thought Wennberg was good. No other forward stood out to me except Hartnell in a negative way. He really looked slow, and there were several times where he took his good old time getting back defensively. I see him being a healthy scratch quite a bit this season.

I did like when Anderson dropped the gloves, even though the refs broke it up. After that though, he just seemed like a non-factor. No glaring mistakes, just kind of there.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I am willing to live with rookie mistakes, I will even go to games to see them compete and grow as players. What is getting old, though, is to hear Duby after a game talk about how he needs to be better. Yes, we know that, and that is part of the problem. Duby is who he is, getting paid an enormous sum of money, who won't be substantially better because he has reached his potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00