Post-Game Talk: 10-13-1. "A bunch of donkeys on skates"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Word.

The most important thing to me about Oates is how he's gotten MP and Fehr going. Everyone knew they both had talent but were never able to showcase it consistently. They're both playing well right now, and have for the last few days.
Wolski as well here lately. He's stuck with him and I think the process-focused mentality is helpful in such circumstances. Whereas in the past coaches would fixate too much on outcomes, esp. if the team outcome was similarly lacking, and scapegoat a guy. Oates seems pretty unlikely to do so unless the player is just not putting the effort in.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Wolski as well here lately. He's stuck with him and I think the process-focused mentality is helpful in such circumstances. Whereas in the past coaches would fixate too much on outcomes, esp. if the team outcome was similarly lacking, and scapegoat a guy. Oates seems pretty unlikely to do so unless the player is just not putting the effort in.

Wolski's improvement of late is directly correlated to little to no turnovers. The first ~12 games, he had some dreadful "what the heck was that" turnovers.

Is the preseason finally over?

Liberati0n*

Absolutely. I love that he's focused on "playing correct hockey" with complete confidence that its correctness will inevitably result in wins.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Absolutely. I love that he's focused on "playing correct hockey" with complete confidence that its correctness will inevitably result in wins.

It wasn't as lovable when they weren't winning, but now that they've put a nice little streak together, it's a lot easier to swallow. I'm rather excited to see what a team with renewed confidence, an offseason to heal, and a full understanding of the system can do against some tough divisional competition next season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wolski's improvement of late is directly correlated to little to no turnovers. The first ~12 games, he had some dreadful "what the heck was that" turnovers.

Is the preseason finally over?

He's accomplished that by not possessing the puck as much, though. Instead of trying to grab the puck and take it down the ice, he seems to just poke check it back towards the other team's net a lot. Not the worst thing in the world to do, but it's more of a "prevent defense" type of move.

Vladiator16*

10 win in 22 games...so I call that 2 games under .500 (yeah yeah, loser pt, etc..I got it).

I *want* to believe, but its far too early to make claims like we can beat any teams A game. That's just silly. Its not 2010.

We are a middling team that has pounded on a few crap teams to right the ship. Our 8-3 "streak" has had 3 wins vs FLA (worst team in league), and one each against Car, TB, Winn, NJ, and Boston. NJ, Boston, and Carolina were the only teams with winning records. Losses to Phil, NJ, and Rags.

I'm happy, but we are so far from being out of the woods, it isnt even funny.

Ray of hope and out of the woods are not the same thing, and i agree beating up on FLA isnt beating up on MTL or Rags, but we have been doom and gloom here for long enough, lets enjoy our up swing, thats all im saying. And players like Oleksy even thou "old" (27) journeyman are bringing it game in and game out, why not give them a chance... we know what we get with Nerd and Mr. Nasty and right now thats not what this team needs. Its quite apparent that we need a spark, of any kind, and this dude is providing it, so lets see how long it can go on, with the other 2 in the press box its not any worse.

n3ss

Nov 29, 2011
Anyone seen the Hendricks mic'd up vid on NHL.com?

I wonder if he got Krejci to sign a stick after the game :laugh:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
BE2TtZTCAAETu5W.jpg

yes-gif.6604

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
***updated***

So the conventional thought process coming into the season was teams needed 54 points or so to make the playoffs. (92 in 82games, 54 in 48games)

By that logic, Caps would need 33 points in their last 25 games. Do we really see this flawed team doing that?

14-6-5 would get 33pts. Think about that.

This team can only lose 6 or so more games this year in regulation to make the playoffs. If its 55 or 56 points to get there, then that becomes even harder.

What a crock. Sing the Caps praises, pollyanna's.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Your 2013 Washington Capitals

Against SouthEast: 6-2-0 overall. 33-19 (+14) Goals

Against Everyone else: 4-10-1 overall. 35-49 (-14) Goals

Yeah, they are all set...who could worry about this team George has constructed?

Freaking Terrible. :rant:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Just a reminder for those contemplating suicide..

2 wins against the Hurricanes and the Caps are the closest they have been to the SE since the first week of the season...

No word on Orlov playing. Played Saturday and Sunday with Hershey, had an assist the 2nd game on the PP.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Team needs to re-tool badly. Get a top 5 pick. Trade Ribeiro, you would have to imagine his return would be quite significant considering his play this season, he's a center, and the fact its a sellers market with the amount of teams close to making the playoffs.

Bring in a new GM in the summer. Fix the ****ing core of this team. Bring in more grit and players who put in a honest effort.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Team needs to re-tool badly. Get a top 5 pick. Trade Ribeiro, you would have to imagine his return would be quite significant considering his play this season, he's a center, and the fact its a sellers market with the amount of teams close to making the playoffs.

Bring in a new GM in the summer. Fix the ****ing core of this team. Bring in more grit and players who put in a honest effort.

If the Caps get a Top 5 draft pick, would you really want another GM dealing with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad