Post-Game Talk: 10-13-1. "A bunch of donkeys on skates"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Impressed they beat the Bruins but even with a blowout Florida is the doormat of the Nhl right now.

Happy they took care of buisness. The next game against the canes is enormous.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
A win against the Islanders and we are 4 points away from the division lead!! Than a back to back with the Canes after the Rangers (man we need to win against the Rangers this year). These games are critically important! I'm optimistic because we got 4 lines playing and we just beat the top team in the East- Scoring 4 straight.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
not to mention we play carolina twice next week, 2 4 point games within 2 days

We just need to out point them. 3-2 would do it. Or at worst split 2-2. Anything more than that is gravy, at this pt in time.

The thing about last night game is it will put us back on the NHL map. Florida or no Florida, a 7-1 spanking makes the talking heads notice us. If we at worst split this weekend, we will fly up the National Power Rankings, just watch.

If we somehow win both games, and get to 12-11-1, I'd bet we clip into some of the top 10's in the rankings. Just watch.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
We just need to out point them. 3-2 would do it. Or at worst split 2-2. Anything more than that is gravy, at this pt in time.

I'm not even thinking that way. I want to see a 14 game winning streak and have said all along that the Ovechkin era (since BB) Caps teams always have had it in them to explosively string together wins.

When they get confident there is not a team in the league than they can't beat even when both play their A game.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not even thinking that way. I want to see a 14 game winning streak and have said all along that the Ovechkin era (since BB) Caps teams always have had it in them to explosively string together wins.

When they get confident there is not a team in the league than they can't beat even when both play their A game.

George, give the keyboard back to Bob please, as that is a little silly.

We are still 2 games under .500, halfway thru the season. I like kool-aid too, but this one isnt that sweet yet.

Vladiator16*

George, give the keyboard back to Bob please, as that is a little silly.

We are still 2 games under .500, halfway thru the season. I like kool-aid too, but this one isnt that sweet yet.

I think you mean 2 points (1 game), but kool-aid aside i dont see anything wrong with Bobs statement. We finally have a real ray of hope, why not grab on to it?

...i know, i know, we are the Caps fans... but still... i want to believe.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think you mean 2 points (1 game), but kool-aid aside i dont see anything wrong with Bobs statement. We finally have a real ray of hope, why not grab on to it?

Right on. I don't think the rest of the league underestimates us at all and in fact would prefer any team from the SE get in over us.

I KNOW the Bruins do and people say they are the most complete team in the league.

We are a team far far better than our current record despite some key injuries. We have had some horrendous puck luck and goaltending early in the season that is finally start to even out a bit.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

10 win in 22 games...so I call that 2 games under .500 (yeah yeah, loser pt, etc..I got it).

I *want* to believe, but its far too early to make claims like we can beat any teams A game. That's just silly. Its not 2010.

We are a middling team that has pounded on a few crap teams to right the ship. Our 8-3 "streak" has had 3 wins vs FLA (worst team in league), and one each against Car, TB, Winn, NJ, and Boston. NJ, Boston, and Carolina were the only teams with winning records. Losses to Phil, NJ, and Rags.

I'm happy, but we are so far from being out of the woods, it isnt even funny.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
10 win in 22 games...so I call that 2 games under .500 (yeah yeah, loser pt, etc..I got it).

I *want* to believe, but its far too early to make claims like we can beat any teams A game. That's just silly. Its not 2010.

We are a middling team that has pounded on a few crap teams to right the ship. Our 8-3 "streak" has had 3 wins vs FLA (worst team in league), and one each against Car, TB, Winn, NJ, and Boston. NJ, Boston, and Carolina were the only teams with winning records. Losses to Phil, NJ, and Rags.

I'm happy, but we are so far from being out of the woods, it isnt even funny.

The way in which we beat NJ, Boston and Carolina were VERY impressive do you not think?

Its trending upwards that you cannot deny. To me that is more important than our current positioning in the standings.

And while we were 2-8-1 there were a great many games there we played very well but got little goaltending or puckluck. The refs handed NJ a game too with a million 5 on 3s in the 3rd in one of the recent 3 losses. We should be 9-2 in the last 11.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Trending - finishing strong seems big in hockey

Dare I think a new coach implementing a "complex" system in a short season, may well play into that?

Kool-aid, oh yeah!

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Exactly. Look no further than last year's Stanley cup champs and the way they were trending towards the end of the season.

Yes our overall record is still bad.

But we've been playing great hockey recently. And the hope is it stays that way going forward.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Just for the record...I think a lot of credit should be given to Oates and Holtby for this little stretch. Oates for sticking with Holtby...and Holtby stepping up.

I know in a shortened season with several games packed together it must be risky to play one guy....but glad they finally settled on playing one.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Trending - finishing strong seems big in hockey

Dare I think a new coach implementing a "complex" system in a short season, may well play into that?

Kool-aid, oh yeah!

Word.

The most important thing to me about Oates is how he's gotten MP and Fehr going. Everyone knew they both had talent but were never able to showcase it consistently. They're both playing well right now, and have for the last few days.

Now if he can get Ovi's goal scoring just tad bit higher we'd be golden.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Koolaid is delicious.

LA last year is a good example. The 1990 Caps started off poorly and finished under .500 but were a force in the playoffs.

Holtby has been a monster lately. Not surprising since he was uncharacteristically bad to begin the season. Was due to turn around.

Oates has been very calm and positive throughout. That can't hurt.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The way in which we beat NJ, Boston and Carolina were VERY impressive do you not think?

Its trending upwards that you cannot deny. To me that is more important than our current positioning in the standings.

And while we were 2-8-1 there were a great many games there we played very well but got little goaltending or puckluck. The refs handed NJ a game too with a million 5 on 3s in the 3rd in one of the recent 3 losses. We should be 9-2 in the last 11.

NJ hasnt won since beating us (save last night), Carolina was missing half is starters, and Boston got lazy.

I am not trying to be a d-bag here, but lets just settle down until they are in the top 8, and are beating good teams with some regularity.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe Chicago is shooting their load a little bit early. Get trapped and suffocated in the first round is on my radar for them. They will not be able to handle adversity losing game 1 2-1 but outshooting their opponent 45-14.

Old school Caps style

Has there been wire to wire 1st place after game 1 to a cup team in the modern game? I do know an 8 was the first to win it just last year. I was surprised to hear that, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad