OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Not going to pretend to know anything about this kid. But not crazy about the write up. Apparently, he owned the combine. But rarely showed that athleticism in the games.

Playing at a small small school that is a concern if the write up was accurate.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Hmm that’s an interesting pick. He’s a guy they showed interest in pre draft. Definitely not a pick for next year though.
Daniels is a ufa Issac is 32 next year maybe they flip Herbig for a wr he can play c in a pinch

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Another thing I like about this is it's a continued philosophy. This works out, and they'll have the fastest meanest OL in the NFL, or at least they will until they have to pay them all at the same time.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I can't say I know anything about McCormick. What I do know is South Dakota St has run FCS football for the past two years. And they've done it with always being the most physical team in the trenches. They don't play a pretty brand of football but it is effective. Three time team captain. Najee/Warren have to be happy.

Reactions: Peat

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
MM was rumored to come here at 98 OA. Several outlets linked him with the Steelers. Matt Williamson thought the Steelers might get him IF we didn't emphasize Center earlier. Very good value, just wondering what to do in further fortifying WR and CB.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the one thought regarding WR is that I would imagine that Wilson and Boyd would fill the same role, so I don't know that the Steelers would also sign Boyd now that they drafted Wilson.

I still want them to trade for Sutton, but them not using their 3rd or 4th to do that makes me think that they likely won't get him.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017

Trice is a 7th round pick and is currently our #3 CB. I'm not optimistic about our CB situation.
Considering we haven't drafted a CB yet I'm betting they try to sign a FA like Gilmore or Adore Jackson.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the one thought regarding WR is that I would imagine that Wilson and Boyd would fill the same role, so I don't know that the Steelers would also sign Boyd now that they drafted Wilson.

I still want them to trade for Sutton, but them not using their 3rd or 4th to do that makes me think that they likely won't get him.

I haven't looked hard at this history of such things but I can see Courtland Sutton being a post-draft trade.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Trice is a 7th round pick and is currently our #3 CB. I'm not optimistic about our CB situation.
Considering we haven't drafted a CB yet I'm betting they try to sign a FA like Gilmore or Adore Jackson.

I would love for them to get Gilmore on a one year deal.

We were able to flip Green and Dotson for pick swaps. Herbig can play all 3 iol and is only 26 makes 5 million

5 mil is expensive for a backup. The reason Dotson and Green got picks is because they were still on their rookie deals.

Reactions: Peat

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
The Steelers crushed this draft. They went in with a clear objective to fix the o-line. Truly a master class.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Not going to pretend to know anything about this kid. But not crazy about the write up. Apparently, he owned the combine. But rarely showed that athleticism in the games.

Playing at a small small school that is a concern if the write up was accurate.

Seems like a project you work on to replace Daniels or Seumalo in a couple years. Makes sense eventually, but there were guys on the board that could have helped in the secondary sooner and that's a much bigger need.

Reactions: Ulf5 and Jaded-Fan

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
One more thought on the draft: I'd be expecting Herbig to be moved at some point with them taking another guard with a mid round pick. Their OL is actually pretty crowded at this point:

-LT: Jones, Moore
-LG: Seumalo, McCormick
-C: Frazier
-RG: Daniels, Herbig, Anderson
-RT: Fautanu, Cook

Granted I don't think much of Cook and I figure Anderson is likely a career backup, but I don't really see a point with paying Herbig as much as they're paying him to be a backup with this.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like Denver would be substantially less interested in trading him for 2025 picks than if they would have traded him for 2024 picks.

We'll see but I don't see why they'd close the door on 2025 picks. They're not in a window and given he's 29 years with two years on his contract, he won't be around when they're back in. As long as the offer is fair, I can't see why they wouldn't. Sure money now beats money later, but money later beats money never.

The one element of hesitation is whether they want Sutton around to help Nix, but if Sutton is gonna sit out pre-season waiting for a new contract he kind of kills that.

And there were a few guys traded post-draft last year. He'd be an unusually big name for it but it doesn't feel completely outlandish.

One more thought on the draft: I'd be expecting Herbig to be moved at some point with them taking another guard with a mid round pick. Their OL is actually pretty crowded at this point:

Granted I don't think much of Cook and I figure Anderson is likely a career backup, but I don't really see a point with paying Herbig as much as they're paying him to be a backup with this.

This point is v. true - 10 OL on the opening day 53 would be eyebrow raising. Heck, 9 isn't guaranteed.

Possible they wait to see the young kids go before looking to cut/trade though.

Also possibly relevant to guessing their plans - they just got two insanely athletic OL and one merely very acceptable. We know how much Smith's scheme needs that. Herbig is slooow. Does he even fit before we get into the numbers game?

Last edited:

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

If we were up against the cap, I'd agree that 5m for essentially a backup IOL would be an issue, but we're not. We'd be a Seumalo/Daniels injury away from having to start 3 rookies, and Herbig can play C too. I think depth at the position is more important than a future 6th/7th pick swap or whatever we could get for him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If we were up against the cap, I'd agree that 5m for essentially a backup IOL would be an issue, but we're not. We'd be a Seumalo/Daniels injury away from having to start 3 rookies, and Herbig can play C too. I think depth at the position is more important than a future 6th/7th pick swap or whatever we could get for him.

Technically they could throw Anderson in there and he's a second year guy.

Pedantry aside... I mean, yeah, this bit matters too. But does it matter enough to carry 10 guys? Are they going to drop a young kid they like to keep him around? And I know they said Herbig was the guy they were thinking of playing C, just how much do they trust him because it's not like he's got a bunch of experience.

edit: Also, while the Steelers aren't up against the cap, that 4m (after dead cap) could really make a difference in terms of who they get in the last bit of FA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad