Half-Assed GDT: “We got left out of the party” amalgamated SCP thread

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Since the 3rd Caps goal (just over 20 minutes of game time) the calls have gone 4-0 against the Caps. When was the last time you saw that in a SCF game? The fouls certainly haven’t been as one-sided as the calls.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Since the 3rd Caps goal (just over 20 minutes of game time) the calls have gone 4-0 against the Caps. When was the last time you saw that in a SCF game? The fouls certainly haven’t been as one-sided as the calls.
I think ignorability is the big factor at times like this. Both teams are committing penalties but it's impossible to ignore a hook of a guy on a breakaway or a Tom Wilson taking out a guy who is just standing there away from the play.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
The Caps have been far more egregious with their violations. A lot of stuff in scrums is going to get let go, but if it's incredibly blatant and away from the play, or if it directly impacts a scoring chance, it's usually going to get called. That's been a pretty consistent playoff standard for a long time.

I don't think it's a big conspiracy. Vegas has generally been more disciplined, which continues the trend from the regular season where Vegas was one of the least penalized teams in the league and Washington was flirting with the top 5, IIRC.

Reactions: Thallis

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
On another note, we need more of us posting here. The main boards are such an annoying gong show of whining and I want to actually talk about the game with people.

In that vein, Washington has done a really good job in the nuetral zone tonight. Vegas hasn't had the space to make entries like they had last night, and the first line hasn't been nearly as dangerous because of it. Usually they can wheel through much easier than they have tonight.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The Oshie call was especially weak and was the second in a row against the Caps, and it was exactly the kind of call that was let go the 4+ periods preceding it. In my mind, the non-call on Reaves in Game 1 was worse than anything that has been called on the Caps in this game.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
The Oshie call was especially weak and was the second in a row against the Caps, and it was exactly the kind of call that was let go the 4+ periods preceding it. In my mind, the non-call on Reaves in Game 1 was worse than anything that has been called on the Caps in this game.

Oshie retaliated in front of the net, and came directly out of the corner to do. So he not only gets dinged for retaliating, he also did it in a focus area after people made such a big deal out of it yesterday. It's a call they are going to make.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Holtby should never have let the puck come through the crease but he more than made up for it

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
And to think Holtby was apparently on the trading block during the season. Wow. They even started the playoffs with Grubauer. Somebody posted earlier that it may just be the nature of goaltending. You just have to hope your goalie gets hot at the right time.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Guessing Reaves was only there to try and clear the front of the net. Vegas never had anything going in front of Holtby in the final minute.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
And to think Holtby was apparently on the trading block during the season. Wow. They even started the playoffs with Grubauer. Somebody posted earlier that it may just be the nature of goaltending. You just have to hope your goalie gets hot at the right time.

Holtby's year was uncharacteristically bad for him, though. These playoffs have been more or less law of averages for him.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It’s an extremely hard fought series so far. I have no idea what took Marchessault so long to become the player he is now. I don’t say this lightly but his overall game reminds me of Yzerman. He skates his ass off and dictates the play so many times when he’s on the ice. He’s not as skilled as Yzerman in his prime but 95% of hockey players never will be. Marchessault’s passion, confidence, and being dangerous from literally anywhere in the O-zone mirrors little Stevie Y.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It’s an extremely hard fought series so far. I have no idea what took Marchessault so long to become the player he is now. I don’t say this lightly but his overall game reminds me of Yzerman. He skates his ass off and dictates the play so many times when he’s on the ice. He’s not as skilled as Yzerman in his prime but 95% of hockey players never will be. Marchessault’s passion, confidence, and being dangerous from literally anywhere in the O-zone mirrors little Stevie Y.
Amazing to think Florida left him unprotected after his 30 goal season, I think like many players for them he has excelled with the opportunity, same as with Karlsson who was never put in a position to succeed.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
He really hasn't been much of a factor this postseason, IMO, even though his numbers are better. He's consistently one of the least visible top 9 forwards for Vegas.

Still, there's no denying that he played an important role in getting them where they are now.

Every time I look at his numbers or see him on the score sheet I just get kind of confused as to how it happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad