Half-Assed GDT: “We got left out of the party” amalgamated SCP thread

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Watching other teams' 6on5 just makes me sad about how inept ours has been under Yeo.
I may have been the first one on our sub-forum to call for his head. I still feel the same way. I have zero confidence in Mike Yeo, and I don't see us making any headway until he is gone. Hopefully he is on a short leash and this happens mid-season. That might give us a chance to make the playoffs.

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
man, being a goalie has to be the worst job in all of sports. One minute you're hot garbage and your team's fan base is ready to ship you out, the next your a series savior.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
It's probably good for the league, but I can't stand the way everything has to be a giant show in Vegas.

/curmudgeon
I like it. Only Vegas can pull that over-the-top opening spectacle off. They embrace it.

I would imagine that once the team comes back to earth in a few years and struggles like other teams they will tone it all down.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
God I love playoff hockey.

It pisses me off to no end that the Blues didn't make it in this year.

Meh. Had the Blues made the playoffs, I KNOW I'd have been so pissed-off to no end WHEN they lost, that I'd have turned off the rest of the playoffs and missed what great series these have been. I don't want to watch some other team on their path to glory with the wound so fresh. Every other team still battling for the Cup after the Blues are eliminated can typically go dig a nice deep hole for privacy and **** themselves, as far I'm concerned. So I'm actually loving seeing the Blues out of these playoffs...because, 1) I ultimately get to see Championship-caliber play that I'd typically only see by the team knocking out St. Louis, 2) I'm not subjected to the Blues shitting themselves in the same fashion every year (can't score a goddamn goal in the post-season when it matters), so therefore, 3) no heart-break.

If it didn't mean I had just subjected myself to 82 games of mediocrity (at best) hockey, I'd root for the Blues to miss the playoffs every year with as fun as these playoffs have been.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
man, being a goalie has to be the worst job in all of sports. One minute you're hot garbage and your team's fan base is ready to ship you out, the next your a series savior.

Almost the exact reason I love the position so much.

You can easily lose the game by yourself and sometimes you can win the game by yourself. If you enjoy taking things into your own hands, there isn't a position in sports that is better to play. Pitchers impact the game to the same level a goalie does, but then they have to sit and watch others do their job for the remaining 60-70% of playoff games. As a goalie, it's on you every night. No better feeling than performing under that type of pressure.

Reactions: shpongle falls

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Almost the exact reason I love the position so much.

You can easily lose the game by yourself and sometimes you can win the game by yourself. If you enjoy taking things into your own hands, there isn't a position in sports that is better to play. Pitchers impact the game to the same level a goalie does, but then they have to sit and watch others do their job for the remaining 60-70% of playoff games. As a goalie, it's on you every night. No better feeling than performing under that type of pressure.

But what is the average pay for a goaltender relative to that level of importance? Holtby makes less than Ovie, Backstrom and Kuzy. He barely makes more thasn Orpik. One off year and he is considered vastly overpaid. I got to go with @TruBlu there. Its on you each and every night, but the average goalie makes less than the average skater. To each their own though. You do you though, Brian. That's why I :heart: you, you crazy mofo :D

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
And to think Holtby was apparently on the trading block during the season. Wow. They even started the playoffs with Grubauer. Somebody posted earlier that it may just be the nature of goaltending. You just have to hope your goalie gets hot at the right time.
As a Capitals fan I’ll tell you now, there was never anything substantiated suggesting Holtby was ever available. Speculation from unsourced bloggers? Sure. Insiders? Not even close.

Reactions: simon in canada

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
As a Capitals fan I’ll tell you now, there was never anything substantiated suggesting Holtby was ever available. Speculation from unsourced bloggers? Sure. Insiders? Not even close.

I said before the playoffs started in a Holtby/Grabeur thread that the Caps would absolutely retain the Vezina-winner and sell high on Grabeur. They’d be foolish to do otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad