Half-Assed GDT: “We got left out of the party” amalgamated SCP thread

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It’s 1 game but it’s tough to see Vegas not closing it out when they’re this close. Must be this years team of destiny.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Man I haven't missed Reaves this much since I've been watching Vegas this playoff run.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Oshie with an old school reverse hit.
Oshie had monster game. He's such a beast and great steal for Caps.

Just looked hightlights, but did I watch corretly that there was 4 goal post with Caps and only only one crossbar in Vegas. Looks like every goal bounce just right way for the Vegas, only one fluky goal by Caps. Vegas too much luck.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I couldn’t watch the game last night, but watching the replay now, and holy cow, how do you stop Vegas? They look so clean! Gallant is a terrific coach

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I don't know if there's a group of players with more hustle than Vegas's forwards. They're just relentless.
And on top of that they roll all 4 lines, and I think because of their play opponents tend to shorten the bench.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Jeez...looks like Kutnetsov just broke his arm. If the Knights go on to sweep the Caps and finish the playoffs at 16-3, do they enter the discussion as one of the greatest clubs of all-time?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I don't know if there's a group of players with more hustle than Vegas's forwards. They're just relentless.
They do a great job.

It's interesting watching how Vegas leverages that strength. They apply a ton of pressure deep in the offensive zone, sometimes getting a third guy below the circles (especially when they have the puck) and sometimes not, but they almost never seem to give up odd man breaks the other way. Give them half a chance to recover after the initial rush, and they'll have five guys deep in the defensive zone.

They're content generally applying less pressure in the neutral zone, though they'll clog that up after a change as well, as long as they have numbers. Don't hang their defense out to dry in transition, support them heavily in the defensive zone, and let the goalie take care of their general lack of physical dominance around the net. Vegas with the Blues defensive corps instead of their own would be even more ridiculous.

Lots of up and down play from that style, given the relative openness of the neutral zone, which plays right into the strengths of Vegas as well. It's a treat to watch.

Reactions: mk80 and Thallis

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
They do a great job.

It's interesting watching how Vegas leverages that strength. They apply a ton of pressure deep in the offensive zone, sometimes getting a third guy below the circles (especially when they have the puck) and sometimes not, but they almost never seem to give up odd man breaks the other way. Give them half a chance to recover after the initial rush, and they'll have five guys deep in the defensive zone.

They're content generally applying less pressure in the neutral zone, though they'll clog that up after a change as well, as long as they have numbers. Don't hang their defense out to dry in transition, support them heavily in the defensive zone, and let the goalie take care of their general lack of physical dominance around the net. Vegas with the Blues defensive corps instead of their own would be even more ridiculous.

Lots of up and down play from that style, given the relative openness of the neutral zone, which plays right into the strengths of Vegas as well. It's a treat to watch.
Very much like how Gallant coached the Panthers when he was with them. It's why when he became available I was big on wanting the Blues to get him on board.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Every time I see Washington use Oshie in Brouwer's old spot on the PP, the very same spot the Blues used him in as well, I wonder why the hell the Blues never used Oshie there when he was here.

I don't think I'll ever be able to purge that silliness with Oshie on the point from my mind.

Reactions: 67Blues

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Every time I see Washington use Oshie in Brouwer's old spot on the PP, the very same spot the Blues used him in as well, I wonder why the hell the Blues never used Oshie there when he was here.

I don't think I'll ever be able to purge that silliness with Oshie on the point from my mind.

I always tell my roommate about how perfect he is in that spot. Glad someone else has noticed.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The way they’re calling this game since the Caps went up 3-1 makes me wonder why they didn’t just award the Cup to Vegas when the regular season ended and saved us 8 weeks of thinking these games actually mattered. Over four periods of letting everything go and now they’re calling everything the Caps do.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
The way they’re calling this game since the Caps went up 3-1 makes me wonder why they didn’t just award the Cup to Vegas when the regular season ended and saved us 8 weeks of thinking these games actually mattered. Over four periods of letting everything go and now they’re calling everything the Caps do.
I mean, the calls against Wilson and Eller were pretty blatant, IMO.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Regardless if you have a pony in this race or not both games have been highly entertaining. I don’t want Vegas to win the cup but I hope it goes 7 games. Anyone that enjoys hard working hockey every shift has to appreciate this series so far.

Reactions: EastonBlues22

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I mean, the calls against Wilson and Eller were pretty blatant, IMO.
They may have been, but they also weren’t called in Game 1 or the first half of this one. The call on Eller gets let go in the regular season during a PK. Why did that all change just because Vegas fell behind?

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Washington has gotten the better of the reffing this game, IMO. That call against Haula was egregious.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
They may have been, but they also weren’t called in Game 1 or the first half of this one. The call on Eller gets let go in the regular season during a PK. Why did that all change just because Vegas fell behind?

That call against Eller will always get called when you're coming in from behind like that and have open space in front of you. It's a denied scoring chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad