Berglund-Thomas-Steen
Jaskin-Barbashev-Thompson

Dunn-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Parayko
Gunnarsson-Schmaltz

Hutton
Allen

Dump Sobotka+JBo
I would rather have a healthy Bouwmeester than Gunnarsson. I also like Bortuzzo on the 3rd pairing more than Schmaltz, but I could be in the minority there.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
I would rather have a healthy Bouwmeester than Gunnarsson. I also like Bortuzzo on the 3rd pairing more than Schmaltz, but I could be in the minority there.
With some number crunching, Jbo+Sobotka would have to be out to accommodate Tavares at 10.5-14M

Bortuzzo and Brodziak was on the active roster for these calculations.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Schwartz-Tavares-Kyrou
Fabbri-Schenn-Tarasenko
Berglund-Thomas-Steen
Jaskin-Barbashev-Thompson

Dunn-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Parayko
Gunnarsson-Schmaltz

Hutton
Allen

Dump Sobotka+JBo

I like the idea of keeping Schwartz-Schenn as the foundation of one scoring line and using Fabbri-Tarasenko as the wingers on another. Yours is exactly the 3rd line I envisioned(Berglund-Thomas-Steen). I have a feeling both Soshnikov and Foley have a great chance to be the 4th line wingers along with Jaskin. Brodziak I'm sure will be brought back on a short deal.

I don't think Hutton comes back because I think it will be really difficult to move Allen and Hutton played well enough to get a nice deal elsewhere. Husso is ready and making a potential future starter the backup would be a smart move considering Allen's inconsistent play.

Completely agree Sobotka is either a throw in on a trade or goes for a 2nd rd pick at the draft.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Everyone is on the table at the right price. Don't discount DA making a big move with one of our top prospects.

This is why I involved Kyrou. The Blue's window is now, and although Kyrou could be a stud in the NHL 2-3 years, Hoffman would help immediately. DA knows he needs to make a big move soon. I think you should keep Thomas and if Kyrou holds enough value then you pull trigger on him. You still have a deep prospect pool. Even trading Fabbri probably isn't very smart as he should be able to contribute much more than Kyrou could next year, and his value is highest to the Blues because of his knee.

I'd do Kyrou and your 2nd for Hoff. Hope for the 1st but can't get greedy.

Reactions: Duncstar

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
William Nylander for Colton Parayko Straight Up.

Really dont want to trade Willy, but we need a good RHD

Schwartz - Nylander - Tarasenko
_____ - Schenn - Steen

Rielly - Parayko
Gardiner - Zaitsev

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Any D-man that they would move would not be named Petro, Dunn, Edmundson, or Parayko. Our defense after those 4 is pretty bad or years away from coming up. Gunnarson and JBo are both on long term injury recovery, so you don't know what you'll have in them if/when they come back next season. The thought of Borts being in your top 4 is cringe worthy.

so basically the only dmen with any value?

not gonna get a top6 c with scraps

Reactions: DarthProbert

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

_____ - Schenn - Steen

Rielly - Parayko
Gardiner - Zaitsev

I see both sides saying no. Leafs might need Nylander to be a top 6 C as soon as next year. Blues D would be depleted without parayko

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I see both sides saying no. Leafs might need Nylander to be a top 6 C as soon as next year. Blues D would be depleted without parayko

Matthews-Kadri is a good enough 1-2 punch up the middle to contend with. If the Leafs traded Nylander, they wouldn't be looking for a top 6 centre, they'd be looking for a ~30-40 point 3rd line C, which isn't particularly difficult to acquire.

Heck, we could flip Gardiner for that, plus get a pick or prospect with it. Would leave us with:

Rielly-Parayko
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Polak/Borgman/Liljegren

Anyway, I'm not advocating trading Nylander. Just saying that we don't NEED him to fill a centre role for us. Kadri as a ~55-60 point two-way centre is a very solid #2 guy.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews-Kadri is a good enough 1-2 punch up the middle to contend with. If the Leafs traded Nylander, they wouldn't be looking for a top 6 centre, they'd be looking for a ~30-40 point 3rd line C, which isn't particularly difficult to acquire.

Heck, we could flip Gardiner for that, plus get a pick or prospect with it. Would leave us with:

Rielly-Parayko
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Polak/Borgman/Liljegren

Anyway, I'm not advocating trading Nylander. Just saying that we don't NEED him to fill a centre role for us. Kadri as a ~55-60 point two-way centre is a very solid #2 guy.

not saying Kadri isnt enough at 2c. but babs obviously likes to roll 3 lines. our 3c has 88pts over the last 2 seasons

Matthews
Kadri
Nylander

only pittsburgh comes to mind with a better top 3 C than that. maybe Edmonton if they commit to Drai at C.
I'd be pretty shocked if they moved any of their home grown talent after selling the fans on a rebuild done right.
With JVR,Bozak, and Komarov likely gone...the leafs are gonna be weaker up front and need to rely on the continued improvement of the 3 kids

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
With some number crunching, Jbo+Sobotka would have to be out to accommodate Tavares at 10.5-14M

Bortuzzo and Brodziak was on the active roster for these calculations.
The cap is going up to the $79m-$80m range.

Once we have signed our FA's, our 23 man roster is going to be a little less than $70m without having traded anyone.
This is why I involved Kyrou. The Blue's window is now, and although Kyrou could be a stud in the NHL 2-3 years, Hoffman would help immediately. DA knows he needs to make a big move soon. I think you should keep Thomas and if Kyrou holds enough value then you pull trigger on him. You still have a deep prospect pool. Even trading Fabbri probably isn't very smart as he should be able to contribute much more than Kyrou could next year, and his value is highest to the Blues because of his knee.

Armstrong wasn't willing to move Kyrou during the season, why would he do it now?

The Blues acquiring a LW doesn't make sense unless it is for a LW+. Fabbri should be healthy next season, and while he is an unknown he will still need to play. We have our LW's.

Dorion couldn't convince Armstrong to move Kyrou when Fabbri was injured for the season and Kyrou wasn't a NHL option. I can't see him managing that when both Fabbri and Kyrou will both be options going into next season.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
not saying Kadri isnt enough at 2c. but babs obviously likes to roll 3 lines. our 3c has 88pts over the last 2 seasons

Matthews
Kadri
Nylander

only pittsburgh comes to mind with a better top 3 C than that. maybe Edmonton if they commit to Drai at C.
I'd be pretty shocked if they moved any of their home grown talent after selling the fans on a rebuild done right.
With JVR,Bozak, and Komarov likely gone...the leafs are gonna be weaker up front and need to rely on the continued improvement of the 3 kids

I don't think I'd do Nylander for Parayko, just because Parayko is three years older and has an extra NHL season on Nylander. There's more of a chance Nylander can raise his game from where it is now than Parayko can.

So I don't think Parayko is the guy I would target if Nylander were the player I was moving, but in general, I'm not opposed to the idea of trading one of Nylander or Kadri for a major upgrade on the blueline. It just has to really make sense. In terms of our offensive depth up front, I think Matthews + Marner + one of Kadri/Nylander is a good enough core to build around, and after that scoring depth comes/goes.

Our blueline as it is though, I think it will be tough to win a Cup with. Our C depth doesn't make up for it the same way Pittsburgh's does, we simply can't match the 1-2 punch of Crosby-Malkin, so I think we could use a distinct upgrade on the blueline. Chicago for example locked in their main main core of 3F and 2D, Toews, Hossa, Kane, Keith, and Seabrook. After that, it was a revolving door of good, but ultimately secondary talent on the team. Versteeg, Ladd, Byfgulien, Campbell, Brouwer, Bolland, Shaw, Saad, Leddy, etc.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Everyone is on the table at the right price. Don't discount DA making a big move with one of our top prospects.
Sure, everyone is available for a price. That's unrealistic HF talk for the most part though. Kyrou checks too many boxes to trade for anything less then exactly what DA wants.

Blues aren't trading a player that is an extreme need for a player that is a "surplus". We have Schwartz, Steen, Berglund and Fabbi as LWs. Now Hoffman is better then all them except Schwartz, but we need RHS skaters.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

_____ - Schenn - Steen

Rielly - Parayko
Gardiner - Zaitsev

I like Nylander, but STL needs to keep Parayko.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
so basically the only dmen with any value?

not gonna get a top6 c with scraps
Which is exactly why we aren't in a position to trade any defensemen. Any deals that the Blues make will be with picks and prospects and current forwards.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Sure, everyone is available for a price. That's unrealistic HF talk for the most part though. Kyrou checks too many boxes to trade for anything less then exactly what DA wants.
Blues aren't trading a player that is an extreme need for a player that is a "surplus". We have Schwartz, Steen, Berglund and Fabbi as LWs. Now Hoffman is better then all them except Schwartz, but we need RHS skaters.
Meh ,Hoffman like you have said is better than save Schwartz...So why again would Hoffman be considered surplus??Not saying you should make the trade ,but if you did you could have Hoffman and Schwartz as the clubs top 6 LW...Therefore making your team better???

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
This team reminds me of Nashville of the last decade. Solid defence, and decent forward depth, but lacking at the C position. Nashville had to trade Seth Jones to attempt to remedy that. Can STL stomach that?

Honestly, I love the STL top 4 defence. Dont mess with that.

They need the likes of Fabbri, Kyrou, Thomas, and Kostin to come in and have an impact. They could potentially deal from this group, but honestly... It's not enough to land a 1C.

They simply must be All IN on JT.

They do that, and you have a contender.

If not... why not guage interest on Tarasenko. Yes he's the franchise player, but weve seen time and time again that teams built on the wing go nowhere fast. Your defence is young, youve got some promising young forwards. Tarasenko for Draisaitl? That could very well work for both clubs.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
This team reminds me of Nashville of the last decade. Solid defence, and decent forward depth, but lacking at the C position. Nashville had to trade Seth Jones to attempt to remedy that. Can STL stomach that?

They need the likes of Fabbri, Kyrou, Thomas, and Kostin to come in and have an impact. They could potentially deal from this group, but honestly... It's not enough to land a 1C.

If not... why not guage interest on Tarasenko. Yes he's the franchise player, but weve seen time and time again that teams built on the wing go nowhere fast. Your defence is young, youve got some promising young forwards. Tarasenko for Draisaitl? That could very well work for both clubs.

The Oilers need Defence, specifically RHD.
That's is the only possible reason I could see them trading a player like Draisaitl.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Meh ,Hoffman like you have said is better than save Schwartz...So why again would Hoffman be considered surplus??Not saying you should make the trade ,but if you did you could have Hoffman and Schwartz as the clubs top 6 LW...Therefore making your team better???
Why would we make an upgrade trade when we have some significant holes to fill? If everything else was in a strong state, then I could see the upgrade route. But, we cannot expend assets and not fill the big holes we have at center and a RHS RW. If Steen was going the other way, then I would be all for it, but that isn't happening. Other than a swap, plus another lessor asset, I just don't see it making the type of impact we need.

Reactions: 67Blues

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Why would we make an upgrade trade when we have some significant holes to fill? If everything else was in a strong state, then I could see the upgrade route. But, we cannot expend assets and not fill the big holes we have at center and a RHS RW. If Steen was going the other way, then I would be all for it, but that isn't happening. Other than a swap, plus another lessor asset, I just don't see it making the type of impact we need.
You could trade Steen or move down in the lineup the other surplus LW to gain depth or another piece of need...The point still stands with Hoffman in your top 6 you are a better team overall...Again not saying you should or will do the move but there is some validity to it

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

I don't think we can stomach it. Like you said, our top 4 is set. Unfortunately we don't have a top 5, near the level that allows for trading a big name defensemen for a forward. If we do make that type of move then we are essentially shuffling chairs and potentially in a way that isn't exactly helpful. With our goaltending being erratic, I believe a strong defensive foundation, may be more important than the elevation of the forward group (despite the offensive group being where our biggest holes lie).

JT is the "easiest" and best solution to our problems. But, there will be a lot of hope and luck involved in that scenario.

The only problem with Tarasenko for Draisaitl is that we have no RW depth. If we had a RW goalscorer, I would be more open to exploring that option, assuming there is an add from EDM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad