Friedman: “Lots of expectation St. Louis will be an aggressive trade partner”

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
You could trade Steen or move down in the lineup the other surplus LW to gain depth or another piece of need...The point still stands with Hoffman in your top 6 you are a better team overall...Again not saying you should or will do the move but there is some validity to it
I don't think the objective is to be marginally better. If the Cup is our aspiration (according to everyone in the organization it is the objective), then we are better off using our assets to address needs of priority. C and RHS RW are the priorities. Everything else has to happen after that.

Reactions: Colt55

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
You could trade Steen or move down in the lineup the other surplus LW to gain depth or another piece of need...The point still stands with Hoffman in your top 6 you are a better team overall...Again not saying you should or will do the move but there is some validity to it
I agree that we are a better team with Hoffman, but we still have glaring holes elsewhere on the team that even a player not of Hoffman's caliber will help the team more than Hoffman. Hoffman would be a nice to have, but we still don't have a #2C or a #2RW to go with him. The Blues will target their weaknesses before addressing incremental upgrades.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I agree that we are a better team with Hoffman, but we still have glaring holes elsewhere on the team that even a player not of Hoffman's caliber will help the team more than Hoffman. Hoffman would be a nice to have, but we still don't have a #2C or a #2RW to go with him. The Blues will target their weaknesses before addressing incremental upgrades.
Ottawa would likely want a LW in return ,hense the Fabbri rumours....

But i really dont think it was Armstrong that turned down the offer of him straight up,as he kept trying to play the market to get PD to drop his ask ..Which never happened,us taking him alone is just far too much risk so there had to be a sweetener attached from our side Army didnt like

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Meh ,Hoffman like you have said is better than save Schwartz...So why again would Hoffman be considered surplus??Not saying you should make the trade ,but if you did you could have Hoffman and Schwartz as the clubs top 6 LW...Therefore making your team better???
I agree, but it would have to be one of our LHS prospects+ for Hoffman. I simply just wouldn't do Kyrou. I would understand Fabbri+ for Hoffman. I wouldn't be a fan of the trade, but it makes sense as Hoffman essentially replaces the role Fabbri had.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I agree, but it would have to be one of our LHS prospects+ for Hoffman. I simply just wouldn't do Kyrou. I would understand Fabbri+ for Hoffman. I wouldn't be a fan of the trade, but it makes sense as Hoffman essentially replaces the role Fabbri had.
I think it was for Fabbri TBH ,we wanted a sweetener and army didnt like it...Perhaps in the offseason it may still get done,we will see

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think it was for Fabbri TBH ,we wanted a sweetener and army didnt like it...Perhaps in the offseason it may still get done,we will see
Yea, it might be something he comes back to but now he may be comfortable with Fabbri. He said all reports from doctors and staff were good with Fabbri.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I don't think we can stomach it. Like you said, our top 4 is set. Unfortunately we don't have a top 5, near the level that allows for trading a big name defensemen for a forward. If we do make that type of move then we are essentially shuffling chairs and potentially in a way that isn't exactly helpful. With our goaltending being erratic, I believe a strong defensive foundation, may be more important than the elevation of the forward group (despite the offensive group being where our biggest holes lie).

JT is the "easiest" and best solution to our problems. But, there will be a lot of hope and luck involved in that scenario.

The only problem with Tarasenko for Draisaitl is that we have no RW depth. If we had a RW goalscorer, I would be more open to exploring that option, assuming there is an add from EDM.

Hey Hoff played RW at the end of the year and actually played well

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
It has more to do with swapping a high ceiling RHS for a LHS. If Hoffman was a RHS, blues fans may be more open to the swap if Ottawa was dead set on Kyrou

Yeah exactly what Dbrownss said here, Kyrou only goes for the right player which would have to be a RHS RW or C. Otherwise he isn't on the table.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah exactly what Dbrownss said here, Kyrou only goes for the right player which would have to be a RHS RW or C. Otherwise he isn't on the table.
And Ottawa would need a LHS as we already have both Stone and Ryan on the right side,which is why I still believe the original deal included Fabbri,and not Kyrou

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
The Blues have very specific needs that happen to be a perfect match with their own forward prospects. The only reason to deal any of them would be for a player that can help right now at the same positions of need.

Reactions: Celtic Note

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
And Ottawa would need a LHS as we already have both Stone and Ryan on the right side,which is why I still believe the original deal included Fabbri,and not Kyrou

Yeah that makes sense for both parties. The only potential hang up is what kind of sweetener Dorian would want which evidently was a major issue for Armstrong.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah that makes sense for both parties. The only potential hang up is what kind of sweetener Dorian would want which evidently was a major issue for Armstrong.
Yep i think thats exactly what happened,Army is going to say nothing is wrong with Fabbri and will make a full recovery,PD will doubt this and want a sweetener....The basis of a deal is there,again it still may get done ...STL may move something else to gain another asset to use as a chip later in the offseason

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
There is some validity to your proposed move, but here is the comparison I would make: the Titanic needed more lifeboats, not better deck chairs. Obviously it's not a perfect comparison, and there's a lot of hyperbole in that statement, but the crux of it is valid.

The Blues need more RHS's in the top 9, RW's and C's especially. The Blues have bigger issues than upgrading LW, a position of relative strength. Judging from your other posts, I think you get where Blues fans are coming from here, so I don't want to beat a dead horse any more than we already have.

Yep i think thats exactly what happened,Army is going to say nothing is wrong with Fabbri and will make a full recovery,PD will doubt this and want a sweetener....The basis of a deal is there,again it still may get done ...STL may move something else to gain another asset to use as a chip later in the offseason
FWIW, I think you're dead on here. My read of the situation is that PD wanted Fabbri + Thomas/Kyrou (maybe an additional small +) at the TDL and DA offered Fabbri + 1st (in this case Winnipeg's first). Both sides stuck to their guns and deal didn't get done then.

Nothing to back this up, just my opinion, but looking at the other rumored deals at the TDL - specifically around Karlsson/Ryan - I think that PD might've just not had the time/resources to devote to a deal around Hoffman. Obviously the offseason allows a LOT more time for negotiation so who knows?

Reactions: topshelf15

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
There is some validity to your proposed move, but here is the comparison I would make: the Titanic needed more lifeboats, not better deck chairs. Obviously it's not a perfect comparison, and there's a lot of hyperbole in that statement, but the crux of it is valid.

The Blues need more RHS's in the top 9, RW's and C's especially. The Blues have bigger issues than upgrading LW, a position of relative strength. Judging from your other posts, I think you get where Blues fans are coming from here, so I don't want to beat a dead horse any more than we already have.

FWIW, I think you're dead on here. My read of the situation is that PD wanted Fabbri + Thomas/Kyrou (maybe an additional small +) at the TDL and DA offered Fabbri + 1st (in this case Winnipeg's first). Both sides stuck to their guns and deal didn't get done then.

Nothing to back this up, just my opinion, but looking at the other rumored deals at the TDL - specifically around Karlsson/Ryan - I think that PD might've just not had the time/resources to devote to a deal around Hoffman. Obviously the offseason allows a LOT more time for negotiation so who knows?
I could see it happening.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I'd add if it was somehow both Fabbri and Kyrou. Blues fans seem to think there's no way they deal Kyrou but I think Armstrong is starting to feel some pressure and his hand will get forced. I'd do Hoffman + Luchuk for Fabbri + Kyrou.

Steen-Schenn-Hoffman
Schwartz-Thomas-Tarasenko

That's a very good top 6 with Schwartz and Tarasenko sheltering Thomas early on to help him develop.

Edmunson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko

Damn that's a good lineup. Need to address goaltending or hope that Husso makes the jump.

And from the sens perspective they get younger and cheaper to fit their 3 year window.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I'd add if it was somehow both Fabbri and Kyrou. Blues fans seem to think there's no way they deal Kyrou but I think Armstrong is starting to feel some pressure and his hand will get forced. I'd do Hoffman + Luchuk for Fabbri + Kyrou.

Steen-Schenn-Hoffman

That's a very good top 6 with Schwartz and Tarasenko sheltering Thomas early on to help him develop.

Edmunson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko

Damn that's a good lineup. Need to address goaltending or hope that Husso makes the jump.

And from the sens perspective they get younger and cheaper to fit their 3 year window.

I don't think Army is feeling a whole lot of pressure yet. If they tank next year, then Yeo will be a casualty. Army just got a 4 year extension, so he is pretty safe.

The Blues won't break up Schwartz/Schenn. They are the only real dynamic players on the ice when they are together. Thomas won't be centering the #2 line next year. He'll probably be on the #3 line, maybe as a center, but most likely starting on the wing to keep the defensive responsibilities down.

The Blues need to find a #2C for Tarasenko, and a RHS RW for Schenn's line. This team is seriously void of RHS for some reason. Steen should be on Thomas' line as he is very good defensively to take the weight off of the kid.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Steen-Schenn-Hoffman

Edmunson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko

None of that makes sense from a Blues perspective, you're inventing narratives to try and make it seem logical.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Why do the Blues need to trade? They have Robert “Gretzky” Thomas coming up along with Jordan “Jagr” Kyrou.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

Steen-Schenn-Hoffman

Edmunson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko

“Three year window”

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007

Steen-Schenn-Hoffman

Edmunson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko

Armstrong simply won't pay that price. The best he would offer would be Fabbri+Winnipeg 1st imo. He has a bigger hole to fill at center and I can assure you he has no intention of putting rookie to be Robert Thomas at 2C.

The Blues need a RW and a Center. Armstrong reportedly tried to trade for a center with the Winnipeg 1st and another undetermined asset so obviously he recognizes that's the most important position to fill. He held his ground on the asks for wingers because no matter how good those players are he has quality winger prospects to potentially fill that role.

As a Blues fan I want to get better quickly but prioritizing needs and maximizing the value of trade chips is going to determine whether or not the Blues can get back to having a contender personnel wise. A misstep using the best chips on the 2nd or 3rd biggest need would be a mistake.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Why do the Blues need to trade? They have Robert “Gretzky” Thomas coming up along with Jordan “Jagr” Kyrou.

You've made this same dumb post a couple times now and it's only amusing to you. I know there are Habs fans all salty about not prying Thomas or Kyrou for Pacioretty but it isn't the Blues job to help out the Habs. What you should be doing is hoping Molson realizes Bergevin is an idiot so that your team can be relevant again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad