Rumor: “Canucks working the Phones, Trying to make a trade” — Dhaliwal

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Imagine if we just re-signed Tanev lol
Imagine if we'd drafted Sergachev, McAvoy or Chychrun instead of Juolevi.
Imagine if we'd hung onto the assets we blew in the OEL trade.
Imagine if Benning wasn't a total and complete nincompoop.

Okay, now that we're done imagining... let's imagine we can somehow get a steady partner for Hughes without giving up more picks, plus retention on a rostered player, and a Lekk level prospect.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Kind of reminds me of Colorado! Drafted a great top line and great #1D and filled out the rest of the roster with almost no help from the draft. It's a big challenge but the Canucks odds only get worse by blowing it up.
Sometimes you get a Kadri and a Devon Toews for like 9 millions in cap space. Sometimes you get a Garland and an OEL.

That was the past though and this season the VCRs quietly have the best top 9F and top 6D depth in the league.

Myers Soucy is arguably a second pairing on most contenders and will feast on lesser competition.

And guys like Garland are and Boeser are like 11 millions of cap on the third line. That's good depth.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Okay, now that we're done imagining... let's imagine we can somehow get a steady partner for Hughes without giving up more picks, plus retention on a rostered player, and a Lekk level prospect.

yikes. he's illuminating the stupidity of letting Tanev walk. Relax ffs.

Reactions: oceanchild

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Who would you give up for Brandon Carlo?
Lekkerimaki, Boeser 1.5M retained (2 more years), 2024 1st round pick

Not sure if Boston would trade Carlo though at this time. And i don’t know if that deal does it but that’s probably the most we can afford to give up.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

I agree with the OEL and Tanev comment but the Juolevi comment is a garbage take
Never in the history of the NHL, or will there ever be in the future of the NHL, the final selection order going in the actual order of who has the best career.
Ohhhh you picked Juolevi,, boo hoo, every team in every draft passes up on better players for lesser ones. The logic works both ways too. why do i never see "thank god we took Pettersson and not Glass, or Mittlestadt "

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I agree with the OEL and Tanev comment but the Juolevi comment is a garbage take
Never in the history of the NHL, or will there ever be in the future of the NHL, the final selection order going in the actual order of who has the best career.
Ohhhh you picked Juolevi,, boo hoo, every team in every draft passes up on better players for lesser ones. The logic works both ways too. why do i never see "thank god we took Pettersson and not Glass, or Mittlestadt "
If only development was linear with draft position

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Fans read this, getting all excited they may get another RHD… Then wake up Sunday Morning to find out they’ve acquired Justin Holl……

Suicide alert? Or do some justify the move?

I bring it up because this is likely about the best they could do right now, and it would likely be for Garland or Beauvillier, to make the cap work. I would almost bet many fans would be ok with it. Personally I think it would be a “move to make a move” type deal, but would they be a better team?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
With Soucy’s injury, they really better be on the phones…. They cannot have another start like they have the last two years.

Haven’t heard an announcement on the extent of the injury but obviously it didn’t look good, and he’s now officially on the injury list.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
With Soucy’s injury, they really better be on the phones…. They cannot have another start like they have the last two years.

Haven’t heard an announcement on the extent of the injury but obviously it didn’t look good, and he’s now officially on the injury list.
What do the Nucks have as trade chips? Bearing in mind that if you include Garland / Myers as cap dumps the cost just goes up significantly.

Habs may make Savard or Barron available but they don't want any smurfs in return.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
What do the Nucks have as trade chips? Bearing in mind that if you include Garland / Myers as cap dumps the cost just goes up significantly.

Habs may make Savard or Barron available but they don't want any smurfs in return.
I’ve been saying go get Maatta from Detroit, even before this.. It would have to be for Garland in all likelihood. I’m sure they can work out what that extra is, where it’s not something ridiculous, or maybe they do Beauvillier and Detroit adds an ELC player. Whatever it is, the cost won’t be crazy and they’ll get a really solid dman for the next two years, to play with Hronek as a very solid second pairing.

Maatta and Hronek were a Top Ten pairing last year before they were split up in mid December. They were really good together. It’s a smart move too, because Cole can just slide up and play the right side.

You also have to assume he’s available with Detroit’s log jam on the blue line.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I’ve been saying go get Maatta from Detroit, even before this.. It would have to be for Garland in all likelihood. I’m sure they can work out what that extra is, where it’s not something ridiculous, or maybe they do Beauvillier and Detroit adds an ELC player. Whatever it is, the cost won’t be crazy and they’ll get a really solid dman for the next two years, to play with Hronek as a very solid second pairing.

Maatta and Hronek were a Top Ten pairing last year before they were split up in mid December. They were really good together. It’s a smart move too, because Cole can just slide up and play the right side.

You also have to assume he’s available with Detroit’s log jam on the blue line.
There are 32 teams in the league, each with a top pairing. Yet you are claiming Maata-Hronek were a top-10 pairing? LMAO.

Let's come back to earth on that. Maatta is ordinary and i there is a chance he could be available.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Didn't they just trade a first for a RD?
He’s meant to carry his own line so the Canucks can generate offence when Hughes is not on the ice.

Try to keep up for once.

Canucks have a lot more holes than your Leafs, shocker.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I mean it was clear it was the wrong selection at the time. Abundantly clear and the player taken right after. The abundantly clear choice is currently the best power forward in the game. It’s okay to have feelings.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There are 32 teams in the league, each with a top pairing. Yet you are claiming Maata-Hronek were a top-10 pairing? LMAO.

Let's come back to earth on that. Maatta is ordinary and i there is a chance he could be available.
They were 100%. It was odd seeing, but they were. I believe it was #7 in whatever statistical combination rating system it was, up until Maatta got sick. It was mid December sometime.

Look, I would’ve never believed it either but if you remember when Hronek was blowing up the first half last year… Maatta was his partner every night. Maatta ended up with mono or some long term flu or whatever it was, and once he came back, for whatever reason, they were never reunited.

Hronek’s numbers took a nosedive after Maatta was out. That’s reality.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I mean it was clear it was the wrong selection at the time. Abundantly clear and the player taken right after. The abundantly clear choice is currently the best power forward in the game. It’s okay to have feelings.
it was not clear. sportsnet, espn and other outlets had tkachuk only 2 to 3 spots ranked higher. thats not a lot. the pick boils down to "sh@!×t happens" the top 10 always has guys movin around a few spots

• Haha
Reactions: VanillaCoke

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
it was not clear. sportsnet, espn and other outlets had tkachuk only 2 to 3 spots ranked higher. thats not a lot. the pick boils down to "sh@!×t happens" the top 10 always has guys movin around a few spots
Getting basically nothing out of a top 5 pick is impressively bad. Especially when the team made mistake after mistake to fill out the defense.

It's funny when you think about it. If Juolevi had worked out maybe they don't trade for OEL and/or sign Myers.

Reactions: oceanchild

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I mean in this case Benning would have taken Glass, if Linden didn't go with the scouts. Which ended up with some guys getting fired so Benning could regain firm control on drafting.

Normally a GM sits back and let's his scouts draft, aside from maybe giving input on the 1st, but in Bennings case he wears this. He was supposed to be this expert scout, and it's something he enjoyed doing as he personally got involved in so much of it. Scouts had to feed up the chain to him who they liked, and he'd go have the final look himself. Often leading to decisions based on his own limited viewing, and in this case he saw Juolevi at the world juniors and decided there.

Thing was he wasnt actually a good scout, and had an arrogant 'I know better' attitude. For that draft there was no question that Tkachuk was the BPA at that point, with it being up in the air after him but Juevi certainly in the mix. But genius scout Jim Benning passed on the obvious and chose from the next group the worst of the lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad