Confirmed with Link: Zucker to the Pens for 1st round pick, Gally, and Addison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
These guys are already on the road for half the season. I’m not saying it’s easy but every player in the league is away from their family a lot during the year.

Obviously harder to not be with them even during home swings like a Zucker or Letang but at least they have a big group of teammates to buddy up with. I wouldn’t really worry about it affecting him.
It’s a big deal but people are making it into a bigger deal. The good is that the trade happened mid season so while he's on the road a lot right now, his kids aren't taken out of their routine just yet and the other thing his wife needs to sort out has time. If it ever was an issue the trade wouldn't have happened.

It's definitely not the first time this has happened and it won't be the last.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't like the deal. I understand why it was made but I really do not think we needed to go THAT far to get someone to help with the top six. ESPECIALLY when we have not been able to find the right fit for the top six for quite some time now, because it seems the adjustment to Sullivan is not an easy one even for good NHL players.

It is an unnecessary risk, and it also puts this team in the spotlight to win the Cup again and there will be some extra pressure that comes with that. I hope I am wrong, obviously. I just feel that THIS was not the year to trade our first and I would have kept our top right D prospect. And, if you're going to move one do not move the other in the same damn deal.

Galchenyuk had to go. Yes. But there were other ways we could have done so. Smaller moves. Zucker comes into a winning program and has TONS of pressure to fit in immediately. To impress the coach. And, he has far less pedigree than Tanner Pearson, who failed to impress the coach. I am concerned about that, for sure.

We have contracts that we can move to improve this team. Bjugstad is superfluous for this team and he is a distant memory. DeSmith is superfluous for this team but is of use to some other NHL organization. Schultz has value. Without Marino, moving him becomes complicated for sure. But now without Addison, Schultz might have to be re-signed.

I just feel like Guerin got the better of JR on this one. I would have gone much much smaller in terms of moves. A Kovalchuk, someone like that. I don't really see the point of adding a guy with term. Guentzel is returning next season, and Poulin will probably join the club as well. Legare in two seasons.

I don't know. I hate it when we have that Cup or bust mentality. Our Cup wins tend to occur when people write us off. When we acquire the likes of Ron Hainsey out of desperation. Find someone like Trevor Daley. Bill Guerin, ironically.

This feels like Marian Hossa, Jarome Iginla and Brenden Morrow.

I would have kept the first in 2020. It IS a good draft year, and people in the know have been saying so for like 3 years.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Wonder if Murray or Jarry could be traded to Minny this off season with Addison being the centerpiece? Though GMJR may want a pick(s) instead.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I don't like the deal. I understand why it was made but I really do not think we needed to go THAT far to get someone to help with the top six. ESPECIALLY when we have not been able to find the right fit for the top six for quite some time now, because it seems the adjustment to Sullivan is not an easy one even for good NHL players.

It is an unnecessary risk, and it also puts this team in the spotlight to win the Cup again and there will be some extra pressure that comes with that. I hope I am wrong, obviously. I just feel that THIS was not the year to trade our first and I would have kept our top right D prospect. And, if you're going to move one do not move the other in the same damn deal.

Galchenyuk had to go. Yes. But there were other ways we could have done so. Smaller moves. Zucker comes into a winning program and has TONS of pressure to fit in immediately. To impress the coach. And, he has far less pedigree than Tanner Pearson, who failed to impress the coach. I am concerned about that, for sure.

We have contracts that we can move to improve this team. Bjugstad is superfluous for this team and he is a distant memory. DeSmith is superfluous for this team but is of use to some other NHL organization. Schultz has value. Without Marino, moving him becomes complicated for sure. But now without Addison, Schultz might have to be re-signed.

I just feel like Guerin got the better of JR on this one. I would have gone much much smaller in terms of moves. A Kovalchuk, someone like that. I don't really see the point of adding a guy with term. Guentzel is returning next season, and Poulin will probably join the club as well. Legare in two seasons.

I don't know. I hate it when we have that Cup or bust mentality. Our Cup wins tend to occur when people write us off. When we acquire the likes of Ron Hainsey out of desperation. Find someone like Trevor Daley. Bill Guerin, ironically.

I would have kept the first in 2020. It IS a good draft year, and people in the know have been saying so for like 3 years.

Rental. 36 year old rental. 34 year old rental.

This is the Kunitz trade, not any of those. Zucker has term at a good number. This is not a win-now move, this is recognizing that this team has a chance to win this season but also needed a top-six forward moving forward.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Told the story a couple of times, but it is worth repeating.

Last season, I brought my godson to the Burgh to catch two games. It was very early January.

Letang's wife and their kids were on the flight (his mother-in-law was there too) to Pittsburgh. I thought nothing of it because it was early January and thought they were going back after spending the holidays in Montreal. And THEN, they were on the return flight as well. Alex's grandma told him to calm down because he had school the next morning. That's when I deduced that they were spending the season in Montreal.

It makes sense as Alex would still be in school when Kris retires. Victoria will just be getting started. I guess they do not want to switch the kids from one system to the other. My fear is that Kris might leave after his contract is up. Sign with Montreal or retire.
I guess it's more common than I thought, appreciate the insight. Good for the players who make this work, but you couldn't pay me enough to spend that much time away from family.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

The Marian Hossa trade was an all-time good trade for Pittsburgh :huh:

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey

Outside of not re-signing, Hossa worked pretty well. Granted, we sure could use Angelo Esposito right now...

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Told the story a couple of times, but it is worth repeating.

Last season, I brought my godson to the Burgh to catch two games. It was very early January.

Letang's wife and their kids were on the flight (his mother-in-law was there too) to Pittsburgh. I thought nothing of it because it was early January and thought they were going back after spending the holidays in Montreal. And THEN, they were on the return flight as well. Alex's grandma told him to calm down because he had school the next morning. That's when I deduced that they were spending the season in Montreal.

It makes sense as Alex would still be in school when Kris retires. Victoria will just be getting started. I guess they do not want to switch the kids from one system to the other. My fear is that Kris might leave after his contract is up. Sign with Montreal or retire.

Pretty Sure Geno's wife and his son spend a lot of time at their home in Miami. I could have sworn I read that Geno was bummed last season cause he didn't see them much. He mentioned that the weather in the 'Burgh being a reason she was down there so much.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
The Marian Hossa trade was an all-time good trade for Pittsburgh :huh:

And they gave up nothing for Iginla. He basically railroaded his way into Pittsburgh. Heck even that half season of Brendan Morrow was kind of a success compared to Joe Morrow.

Those were all bad examples to support his point.

I'd say the David Perron trade comes to mind as a first rounder for a supposedly perfect fit in the top six.

Reactions: Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
And they gave up nothing for Iginla. He basically railroaded his way into Pittsburgh. Heck even that half season of Brendan Morrow was kind of a success compared to Joe Morrow.

Yea that’s true too. In terms of assets Shero really just f***ed up with Doug Murray. Iginla didn’t work because he wasn’t a fit (at least, with the genius coach) unlike Zucker who has term and is basically everything Sullivan wants in a winger.

Reactions: tom_servo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pretty Sure Geno's wife and his son spend a lot of time at their home in Miami. I could have sworn I read that Geno was bummed last season cause he didn't see them much. He mentioned that the weather in the 'Burgh being a reason she was down there so much.

Yeah, Malkin did say that in an interview with Rossi. I do think it will be a struggle for Zucker at first to adjust to that life, but he has teammates who have experienced that and can help him through that adjustment. I don't think anyone thinks it won't be a problem, but I think the problems are being overstated.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

Yeah, so that's all well and good but you can't lose a 40-goal scorer to injury and then just expect Sam Lafferty to pick up the slack. SOMETHING had to be done to replace some of the production. This is something.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Tanner Pearson was (and still is) a one time 20 goal scorer. Zucker's scored 20+ goals in all but one of his full seasons in the NHL, he's definitely a level up from Pearson. I understand the worries around fitting the system but Zucker is a speedy player with a solid 2-way game which is exactly the sort of player Sullivan likes.

Bjugstad is hard to move when he's on the injury list but he is definitely next out the door for me. I think they like DeSmith and want him as the backup for when they eventually make the decision on Jarry vs Murray. Schultz has value but he's probably more used to us than a 2nd + that he'd get us in a trade. Can't imagine he gets re-signed though, and don't see how Addison being traded effects that as I think Addison would spend at least the next year in WBS, and potentially part of the following year.

Kovalchuk doesn't seem like he'd fit our style, but I'm impressed he's somewhat turned it round in Montreal. We've now got 5 of our top 6 locked in for the next two seasons, don't see how that is a bad thing? Poulin could make the team next year but he could also quite easily spend it in junior, Legare will need some seasoning in the AHL I imagine.

Sucks to not have a 1st but we could potentially get one back if we decided to move Murray or Jarry before the draft.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Really confused around this particular narrative. Even before the winger injuries, I thought it was fairly-widely-agreed upon that the Penguins probably needed another top-6 winger (though for Malkin, not Sid). Zucker fills that need for the next 3.5 seasons. They'll be able to trot out a top-6 of Sid, Geno, Guentzel, Zucker, Rust, and X. That seems more than acceptable to me?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yea that’s true too. In terms of assets Shero really just ****ed up with Doug Murray. Iginla didn’t work because he wasn’t a fit (at least, with the genius coach) unlike Zucker who has term and is basically everything Sullivan wants in a winger.
Iginla was used as a left winger and away from Crosby. It was less Sheros fault on that one and more Bylsmas fault which I guess is still Sheros fault since he should have fired Bylsma before that.

Reactions: KIRK

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
This makes me really nervous. I am wondering how pissed off he is by the trade. I have a feeling that having to raise three kids alone, deal with an infant, and lose her Wild wives support network is going to lead to an unhappy wife

She’s not losing any support but Jason. She’s from there and has a good media job. She’s pretty well known. Her friends from the Wild will still be her friends.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
We’re entering a window of drafts that will have almost no impact on the Sid-Geno era. Anyone we draft in the late 1st round (or later) is probably 3 years away from contributing in the nhl. What’s the Sid/Geno window at this point? 4 years, maybe? We’re already seeing some decline. If you can turn assets that won’t be a part of that window for assets that will be legit nhl contributors in that window, why wouldn’t you? You hope our 1st round pick or Addison become close to what Zucker is. We paid that cost to fast forward 7 years on the development.

I don’t know rational way to call that an overpay

Exactly. Until this team no longer looks like a cup contender we should continue to move picks and prospects if we can grab players that help now. Keep a few if you can (and JR has) but if a deal is there, don't hesitate to move them.

It will catch up to us eventually, but even if we kept the picks that might not be enough to stave off our inevitable decline, and if moving those picks/prospects now leads to another championship, you take that, don't you?

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Exactly. Until this team no longer looks like a cup contender we should continue to move picks and prospects if we can grab players that help now. Keep a few if you can (and JR has) but if a deal is there, don't hesitate to move them.

It will catch up to us eventually, but even if we kept the picks that might not be enough to stave off our inevitable decline, and if moving those picks/prospects now leads to another championship, you take that, don't you?

our decline is coming eventually. It’s unavoidable and I fully agree we should be continuing to do whatever is needed to attempt to win while we have Sid and Geno. The truth is we may never see a cup again, but with those two we always have a chance.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

yep. You keep them until it looks like they’re gonna be the kinda top-5 picks you need to start the next rebuild. And then, if you still want to trade it for the Last Sid / Geno run, you just put conditions on it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I don't want to be too nuanced in how I respond, but I'm fine with the risk but not necessarily the cost?:confused:

I feel very confident Zucker will excel here. I do wonder just how long it might take him to assimilate however. I'd expect a good showing in the first few games with the adrenaline pumping. But short term I have a pretty low bar here.

Zucker will be a nice fit. I just don't think JR got back enough however to make it a fair valued trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad