Confirmed with Link: Zucker to the Pens for 1st round pick, Gally, and Addison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
HockeyProspect.com (my personal go to)
Pronman says it’s average
I’ll look for a couple more sources because I know I’ve read it a few times.

I like it more than those guys (I think the top 10ish looks pretty ridiculous), but I also have watched a lot less of the youngins than I have in a long time so I’m not in the best spot to really say either way.

I also think OHL scoring being out of wack in a year where there’s a lot of touted OHL draft eligibles is throwing everyone off, good or bad.
There was one reputable site about a month ago that suggested this draft was very deep even up until the early stages of the second round. I can't remember which publication it was but it suggested most drafts aren't anywhere close to being that deep. Of course we can't conclusively know how it will all turn out for several years.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Anyone see/hear comments from Zucker concerning the trade?

What’s your reaction? I mean, it’s got to be bittersweet leaving Minnesota, but there’s got to be a sense of incredible excitement here.

Yeah, absolutely. Obviously, going to that team and that organization that has a winning formula and some amazing players, it is definitely exciting. Obviously, I love it here in Minnesota. My whole family’s from here. This is going to be home forever for us, and I’ll miss it dearly. But I’m truly excited for the opportunity.

Q&A with ex-Wild winger Jason Zucker: Minnesota 'is going to...

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, that's what I was talking about and that was my point. Granted its not a stellar rental market, but it feels like the appetite to throw around big pieces for rentals is diminishing. I think it was LeBrun who has comments from Tampa's GM a little back, talking about how he looked back at every TDL and the SC winner was rarely one of the active guys, and basically he can't really see the point.

I mean, if we don't win a cup with him, we've got another three swings at it with Zucker here. This deal has (theoretically) see us up pretty well for a while.
Most TDL analysis is stupid.

there are 31 teams. There’s one cup winner. If you say, “tdl trades rarely correlate to cup wins,” I mean, yeah. Because that’s such a tiny subset of the population. Only thing that matters is: does the trade make us better? You can’t base the success or failure of most moves off of a 1/31 possibility

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
Another plus to this is that it wasn’t Toffoli :laugh:
Yall smokin with that bull, for real. Whoever mentioned that has never seen the Kings play. And to think we had a Toffoli-lite in Pearson which didn't last a whole season and still people clamoring for him. SMH!

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
We’re entering a window of drafts that will have almost no impact on the Sid-Geno era. Anyone we draft in the late 1st round (or later) is probably 3 years away from contributing in the nhl. What’s the Sid/Geno window at this point? 4 years, maybe? We’re already seeing some decline. If you can turn assets that won’t be a part of that window for assets that will be legit nhl contributors in that window, why wouldn’t you? You hope our 1st round pick or Addison become close to what Zucker is. We paid that cost to fast forward 7 years on the development.

I don’t know rational way to call that an overpay

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Somebody get Zucker some Penguins pajamas. He’ll change his forever home real quick.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Him saying Minnesota will always be home just makes me nervous. Is his wife going to stay there his entire contract? That would be rough on a guy. From a personal standpoint I feel bad for him, but from a professional standpoint I hope it doesn't weigh him down and affect his play.

It seems like they've prepared for this eventuality. It's not like any NHLer gets to see his family a lot during the season anyway tbh.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
With all due respect to Gally, they traded him (a spare part), a late first (most likely), and a prospect (who, according to, some, wasn’t progressing). Furthermore, they’ll have Zucker through the 2022-23 season. I get why some people would like to hold onto assets, but the trade isn’t that bad.

I'm hoping Zucker's playoff performances improve. That's my one area of concern.

He could end up just as a secondary role player which scares me a little. Jake comes back and he's bound to be Geno's LW. That is promising with Rust on the other side.

Reactions: BHD

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Yeah, that's what I was talking about and that was my point. Granted its not a stellar rental market, but it feels like the appetite to throw around big pieces for rentals is diminishing. I think it was LeBrun who has comments from Tampa's GM a little back, talking about how he looked back at every TDL and the SC winner was rarely one of the active guys, and basically he can't really see the point.

I mean, if we don't win a cup with him, we've got another three swings at it with Zucker here. This deal has (theoretically) see us up pretty well for a while.

The bolded part is the key to the whole thing. I'd say at least TWO more runs (Letang, Rust and Malkin are all UFAs after the 2021-2022 season).

For the next two years, all these guys are locked to reasonable deals:

C1: Sidney Crosby
C2: Evgeni Malkin
C3: Nick Bjugstad
C4: Teddy Blueger (RFA after next season)
LW1: Jake Guentzel
LW2: Jason Zucker
RW1: Bryan Rust
RW2: Patrick Hornqvist
LW3/4-RW3/4: Brandon Tanev
LW4: Zach Aston-Reese
D1: Kristopher Letang
D2: Brian Dumoulin
D3: John Marino (RFA after next season)
D4: Marcus Pettersson
D6/7: Jack Johnson

Basically, our entire top 6 and 5/6 of our defense are set for the next 3 runs (this year and the next 2). We have decisions to make on Blueger, ZAR and Marino after 2 runs. We have decisions to take on McCann, Kahun, Simon, Jarry and Murray at the end of this year. I expect the three forwards to be back + one of the goalies. I'd also expect at least one prospect a year to surprise us and make the team. I'd definitely try to move on from Bjugstad ASAP.

I mean, our core is set and signed to good deals that give us some flexibility for the next 2-3 years. We are in good shape.

Next year, without any moves other then re-signing our own RFAs, none of which should break the bank:

Zucker - Sid - Simon
Jake - Geno - Rust
Kahun - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

That's a pretty formidable forward group.

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Johnson - WHOCARES

Great top 4, possibility to shelter JJ. Only need is a 5/6 D.

Jarry OR Murray
DeSmith

Should be a good duo no matter what.

JR set us up for at least another 3 runs.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Him saying Minnesota will always be home just makes me nervous. Is his wife going to stay there his entire contract? That would be rough on a guy. From a personal standpoint I feel bad for him, but from a professional standpoint I hope it doesn't weigh him down and affect his play.

I'm so nervous I can vomit.
Oh man I hope this doesn't affect his play.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The bolded part is the key to the whole thing. I'd say at least TWO more runs (Letang, Rust and Malkin are all UFAs after the 2021-2022 season).

For the next two years, all these guys are locked to reasonable deals:

C1: Sidney Crosby
C2: Evgeni Malkin
C3: Nick Bjugstad
C4: Teddy Blueger (RFA after next season)
LW1: Jake Guentzel
LW2: Jason Zucker
RW1: Bryan Rust
RW2: Patrick Hornqvist
LW3/4-RW3/4: Brandon Tanev
LW4: Zach Aston-Reese
D1: Kristopher Letang
D2: Brian Dumoulin
D3: John Marino (RFA after next season)
D4: Marcus Pettersson
D6/7: Jack Johnson

Basically, our entire top 6 and 5/6 of our defense are set for the next 3 runs (this year and the next 2). We have decisions to make on Blueger, ZAR and Marino after 2 runs. We have decisions to take on McCann, Kahun, Simon, Jarry and Murray at the end of this year. I expect the three forwards to be back + one of the goalies. I'd also expect at least one prospect a year to surprise us and make the team. I'd definitely try to move on from Bjugstad ASAP.

I mean, our core is set and signed to good deals that give us some flexibility for the next 2-3 years. We are in good shape.

Next year, without any moves other then re-signing our own RFAs, none of which should break the bank:

Zucker - Sid - Simon
Jake - Geno - Rust
Kahun - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

That's a pretty formidable forward group.

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Johnson - WHOCARES

Great top 4, possibility to shelter JJ. Only need is a 5/6 D.

Jarry OR Murray
DeSmith

Should be a good duo no matter what.

JR set us up for at least another 3 runs.

And then comes the expansion draft and get the penguins roster plucked.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
It seems like they've prepared for this eventuality. It's not like any NHLer gets to see his family a lot during the season anyway tbh.

While you are partially right, this is a different situation. Due to all the legal issues with kids and her ex husband, he wont be going home till season is done. If pens go deep, that could mean 3.5+ months of being apart from his kids. SHe may go out to visit him when she can, but I cant see that being often.

And this isnt just something I came up with, this came straight from her: https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...ucker-family-apart-until-after-the-nhl-season

I have few close friends that had to leave their wife and kids for work, and they only see them every few months for a week, if not less. Whenever I talk to them they say they absolutely hate their life, being away from family, and not being able to see them more often. They are reaching that depression state, and are just going through the notions. I am not saying this will happen here, but it is not as small of an issue as some make it out to be.

Last edited:

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
There was one reputable site about a month ago that suggested this draft was very deep even up until the early stages of the second round. I can't remember which publication it was but it suggested most drafts aren't anywhere close to being that deep. Of course we can't conclusively know how it will all turn out for several years.

I think you can say this draft is deep into the fourth round no question.

Reactions: Ryder71

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
While you are partially right, this is a different situation. Due to all the legal issues with kids and her ex husband, he wont be going home till season is done. If pens go deep, that could mean 3.5+ months of being apart from his kids. SHe may go out to visit him when she can, but I cant see that being often.

And this isnt just something I came up with, this came straight from her: https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...ucker-family-apart-until-after-the-nhl-season

It won't be for a lack of resources. She can come visit him semi-regularly.

It'll be tough, but it's tough for any wife with a husband on the road.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Again, Zucker's situation with his family is no different than what many European players, especially Russians, and some North American players deal with. Will it be tough for Zucker? Of course, being away from your family for that long is obviously difficult. But there's no reason to think that he'll collapse because of it or he'd be a bad target because of it. Him saying "I'll always love Minnesota, it's home to me" isn't a reason to get concerned.

Zucker will just live in Minnesota during the off-season and will only get sporadic visits from his family during the season. It's not unique to Zucker, a bunch of pro athletes do this, and it's not even unique to pro athletes either. If anything, the Penguins do have some players in the organization that can help him adjust. Malkin and Cullen are 2 examples of guys who had to deal with that.

IrishTiger

Jan 15, 2020
It won't be for a lack of resources. She can come visit him semi-regularly.

It'll be tough, but it's tough for any wife with a husband on the road.
This makes me really nervous. I am wondering how pissed off he is by the trade. I have a feeling that having to raise three kids alone, deal with an infant, and lose her Wild wives support network is going to lead to an unhappy wife

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Not a huge fan of the price, but it was getting pretty apparent that 87 needed some help on his line.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Again, Zucker's situation with his family is no different than what many European players, especially Russians, and some North American players deal with. Will it be tough for Zucker? Of course, being away from your family for that long is obviously difficult. But there's no reason to think that he'll collapse because of it or he'd be a bad target because of it. Him saying "I'll always love Minnesota, it's home to me" isn't a reason to get concerned.

Zucker will just live in Minnesota during the off-season and will only get sporadic visits from his family during the season. It's not unique to Zucker, a bunch of pro athletes do this, and it's not even unique to pro athletes either. If anything, the Penguins do have some players in the organization that can help him adjust. Malkin and Cullen are 2 examples of guys who had to deal with that.

This.

Letang is another example. His wife and kids live in Montreal during the year and travel back and forth all the time.

It is doable and Zucker will have people in Pittsburgh who he can relate to. The organization will also help.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I'm so nervous I can vomit.
Oh man I hope this doesn't affect his play.

Cant find the post but I clearly remember a while ago Zucker saying that if he were traded he would have to leave his family in Minnesota due to his wife's career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad