Confirmed with Link: Zucker to the Pens for 1st round pick, Gally, and Addison

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Cant find the post but I clearly remember a while ago Zucker saying that if he were traded he would have to leave his family in Minnesota due to his wife's career.
Oh god. Extra vomit.
Why you do this to me man!

P10p

May 15, 2012
But since we're talking WJC standouts, how's Benjamin Conz and Denis Godla doing these days? I mean, I can't imagine nobody's brought them over yet!

Oh, wait, they're undrafted you say? Weird.

Comparing goalies to players... hmm interesting strategy. Lemme know how that goes...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This.

Letang is another example. His wife and kids live in Montreal during the year and travel back and forth all the time.

It is doable and Zucker will have people in Pittsburgh who he can relate to. The organization will also help.

Huh, I didn't know that about Letang but I guess that makes sense. I wonder if that setup is more widespread in the NHL than what was initially thought here. It seems like a lot of Russian players have their families stay in Russia, and I imagine that's similar to what a lot of other European players also do. It's more uncommon for North Americans, but that's because it's much easier for an American or Canadian to move to another US or Canadian city than it is for a Russian to move from Russia to a US city.

Reactions: cool blue

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
This.

Letang is another example. His wife and kids live in Montreal during the year and travel back and forth all the time.

It is doable and Zucker will have people in Pittsburgh who he can relate to. The organization will also help.

Yeah but tang bleeds black and urine yellow. Zucker currently bleeds green.

I'm nervous. No Brassard 3.0 I can't handle another one.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Reactions: LOGiK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Him saying Minnesota will always be home just makes me nervous. Is his wife going to stay there his entire contract? That would be rough on a guy. From a personal standpoint I feel bad for him, but from a professional standpoint I hope it doesn't weigh him down and affect his play.
I'm not worried about that. A lot of players that are in one spot a long time will do that, Cullen is a Minnesota native and he went back and then came back after and now works for the Pens and not the Wild. The one thing we have going for this team is that a lot of players are impressed by the "team culture" unless you're Brassard and can't crack it or some excuse.

Zucker has 3.5yrs to be a consistent playoff player for once in his life that won't end in the first round each time. Well...let's hope.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm wholly unconcerned about whether Zucker will be a successful player for us. This isn't Brassard's situation where a dude's coming in to play a completely different role.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
This makes me really nervous. I am wondering how pissed off he is by the trade. I have a feeling that having to raise three kids alone, deal with an infant, and lose her Wild wives support network is going to lead to an unhappy wife
This sort of stuff where the SO stays back after a trade, happens far more often than you think. It's really not that big of a deal, and it's only like a 2 hour flight between cities.

Reactions: Fordy

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
This makes me really nervous. I am wondering how pissed off he is by the trade. I have a feeling that having to raise three kids alone, deal with an infant, and lose her Wild wives support network is going to lead to an unhappy wife

I heard he’s probably gonna retire and the Pens wasted all of their assets.

Reactions: td_ice

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Huh, I didn't know that about Letang but I guess that makes sense. I wonder if that setup is more widespread in the NHL than what was initially thought here. It seems like a lot of Russian players have their families stay in Russia, and I imagine that's similar to what a lot of other European players also do. It's more uncommon for North Americans, but that's because it's much easier for an American or Canadian to move to another US or Canadian city than it is for a Russian to move from Russia to a US city.

Told the story a couple of times, but it is worth repeating.

Last season, I brought my godson to the Burgh to catch two games. It was very early January.

Letang's wife and their kids were on the flight (his mother-in-law was there too) to Pittsburgh. I thought nothing of it because it was early January and thought they were going back after spending the holidays in Montreal. And THEN, they were on the return flight as well. Alex's grandma told him to calm down because he had school the next morning. That's when I deduced that they were spending the season in Montreal.

It makes sense as Alex would still be in school when Kris retires. Victoria will just be getting started. I guess they do not want to switch the kids from one system to the other. My fear is that Kris might leave after his contract is up. Sign with Montreal or retire.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
This has Cole for Brassard written all over it.

Really!?!

The only way this is similar is that Sullivan didn't like playing either Cole or Galchenyuk and they both had been UFA's that the team did not plan on signing.

Rutherford got the man he wanted this summer. Look at the 4 wingers added over the past year (McCann, Kahun, Tanev, and Zucker). All fast good forechecking forwards that can put up points while having good two way play. All perfect fits for Sullivan's system. We literally only had one winger like that in Rust and now we have 5. When Guentzel gets back whether late in playoffs or next season we will be stacked.

Zucker-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

That is a stacked fast and hard to play against lineup. Sullivan's dream forward group. I have no problem giving up a late 1st that half the time never amounts to anything and Addison who I think is a boom or bust type player. You trade two lottery tickets for a perfect fit top line winger with 4 seasons of Cup runs.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
... All perfect fits for Sullivan's system. We literally only had one winger like that in Rust and now we have 5. When Guentzel gets back whether late in playoffs or next season we will be stacked.

Zucker-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

My only question is, will Sulli actually play Kahun in that spot, or will he relegate him to 3rd and 4th line, like he has done before injuries hit. For some reason Sulli doesnt trust him, or doesnt like playing him in top 6 unless he absolutely has to. I can see him forcing Horni in that top line and playing Kahun on 3rd or even 4th (with Tanev being 3rd) Also, do we want a $3.5M 4th line winger in Tanev, especially if they dont play more than 10 minutes a night? Maybe with ZAR on that 4th line Sulli will play them more than 10 minutes, as for whatever reason he has a massive hard on for him.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
This reminds me of the Pirates trade for Archer....it could be that bad.

Oh boy......watch Gally light it up in Minnesota

Go watch your Pirates because this is not even close to that.

Pens lost nothing that would help them in the next several years for a top line winger that fits Sullivan's system perfect. Addison had no chance of breaking into the Pens top 4 until Letang hangs them up. Late 1st round picks bust as often as they get productive NHL players. Very few late first round picks develop into a player as good as Zucker.

I wasn't impressed at all with Addison in camp this year. I wish him the best but I see his best case scenario being a Will Butcher type. Maybe he proves me wrong but his Junior numbers have stagnated the past 3 seasons. I can see him not even making it as an NHL regular. Not saying he won't but certainly is no guarantee.

Reactions: JackFr

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Sorry it wasnt her career. Its actually due to legal constraints relating to custody of her children.

Yea she has a kid with an ex, I think it was said they have split custody and are still friends so she doesnt wanna change that dynamic and move the kid to a different state making it harder for the father to see the kid.

Understandable.

But I'm sure the club will help ease the issue the best the can.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I'd love to hear from anyone REEEEing about an overpayment explain why Billy G would take anything less in exchange for a 25 goal scorer, in his prime, with term at an affordable cap hit. You people realize that the trade has to possibly benefit the other team in order to entice them to agree to it, right? 2nd round picks and players like Hallander who project to be a third line center at best isn't going to move the needle for them. Billy isn't going to screw himself over to do his old boss a solid.

I'll ask again.... do you want to maximize the chances of winning another cup during this era, or do you want to hope that a first and Addison turn into good players in three years? Ridiculous expectations here. We're in it to win it.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
These guys are already on the road for half the season. I’m not saying it’s easy but every player in the league is away from their family a lot during the year.

Obviously harder to not be with them even during home swings like a Zucker or Letang but at least they have a big group of teammates to buddy up with. I wouldn’t really worry about it affecting him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think you can say this draft is deep into the fourth round no question.

To be fair...I literally hear this every year. Oh no, but THIS time it's right...THIS time it's for realz. All the other times it was said was fake, no no no...THIS time...THIS is the time. THIS is the year it's actually a deep draft.

Look, every year when we get closer to the actual draft, the more information we have on the abilities of the players. Some rise, some fall, some have big years, others don't. This is every year. (No, I get, THIS year is different...it's actually a deep draft!)

I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying that historically speaking, the draft is a crap shoot the majority of the time. There will absolutely be some blue chip talent in the draft, no question. But to act like there will be 2-3 round of blue chip talent is silly. The odds that any of the players drafted where we will be selecting have a bigger impact than Zucker is actually quite slim. Sucks we lost the 2nd to the MAF trade. Hopefully at draft day we can pull a couple moves to get us a good pick.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

This made me chuckle

G got his guy and did a solid trade. He's already ahead of Botts imo. I always thought Guerin was getting crapped on by a lot here and that he'd actually have a good career as a GM. I'm really curious what he does at the deadline. He inherited a mess and got rid of a big contract and added another first and a solid prospect while also adding a kid that he can also flip for another pick.

Reactions: Ryder71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->