Confirmed with Link: Zucker to the Pens for 1st round pick, Gally, and Addison Part Duex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think Rust and Zucker should be the wing combo because Guentzel is way better than either of them, so putting your 2nd and 3rd best wingers together while you're relying on Guentzel-Crosby or Guentzel-Malkin carrying the other line makes the most sense to me. That probably means you go with Guentzel-Crosby-XXXX and Zucker-Malkin-Rust, even though I do think Zucker and Crosby fit really well together.
There's obvious strengths with what you said. But I also kind of love the idea of daring teams to treat Zucker-Sid-Whoever like the "2nd line" if Guentzel-Geno-Rust is together. I really don't think there's a wrong choice for which line to put Jake and Zucker on. And I kind of doubt we ever see it fully locked in place.

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There's obvious strengths with what you said. But I also kind of love the idea of daring teams to treat Zucker-Sid-Whoever like the "2nd line" if Guentzel-Geno-Rust is together. I really don't think there's a wrong choice for which line to put Jake and Zucker on. And I kind of doubt we ever see it fully locked in place.

I can get behind this, but I think the one problem with this is that I'm not sure that Zucker-Whoever is a good enough winger duo for Crosby. I think Guentzel-Whoever is good enough, but that's because Guentzel is an elite player. I think you need to acquire at least another 2nd/3rd line tweener if you run with Guentzel-Malkin-Rust, but if you run with Zucker-Malkin-Rust (or Zucker-Crosby-Rust), you can get away with Guentzel-Crosby-Whoever (or Guentzel-Malkin-Whoever).

Either way, they have 3 legit top-6 wingers signed for at least 2 years beyond this year, and I'd argue that they're all 1st line guys if they continue to perform like they have. It's a great problem to have.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I can get behind this, but I think the one problem with this is that I'm not sure that Zucker-Whoever is a good enough winger duo for Crosby. I think Guentzel-Whoever is good enough, but that's because Guentzel is an elite player. I think you need to acquire at least another 2nd/3rd line tweener if you run with Guentzel-Malkin-Rust, but if you run with Zucker-Malkin-Rust (or Zucker-Crosby-Rust), you can get away with Guentzel-Crosby-Whoever (or Guentzel-Malkin-Whoever).

Either way, they have 3 legit top-6 wingers signed for at least 2 years beyond this year, and I'd argue that they're all 1st line guys if they continue to perform like they have. It's a great problem to have.
It's a worse line without Guentzel, but I think it's still damn good. Especially if it means they don't go against the other team's top defensive players. And if Zucker-Sid do go against top defensive players in that setup, then Guentzel-Geno-Rust don't.

The line choices will certainly need to consider who that other RW is though.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Guentzel - Crosby - Zucker would be a site to see because Sid would be playing with two wingers tailor made for how he plays. It'd be nearly unstoppable.

If I were JR, I'd try to flip maybe McCann as a base package to Chicago for Saad. I think theyd have some interest in him. Maybe they would be interested in Bjugstad depending how he plays from this point on? I know it'd have to be a hockey trade.
I’m not the most knowledgeable of Zucker. Has he ever spent significant time on the RW I only know him as a LW.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
That’s why I’m highly excited for a healthy Guentzel next year. Between the 5, Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Zucker, and Rust. You really can’t go wrong. It’s who gels with who and you have a group that can do entry and possession across both lines. It’ll be a scary forward group.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I’m not the most knowledgeable of Zucker. Has he ever spent significant time on the RW I only know him as a LW.

I think he is more comfortable on the left, but he has said in the past that he can play either side.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He played a ton of RW with the Wild because they had a million LWers and not many RWers. He's better on LW than he is on RW but he can play both.
Zucker - Crosby - Guentzel

giphy.gif

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He wasn’t completely Yucker tonight...he got his z back, but just a small z because he also had too many plays at ES , as per his usual, where the puck died on his stick and he killed any play...

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
He wasn’t completely Yucker tonight...he got his z back, but just a small z because he also had too many plays at ES , as per his usual, where the puck died on his stick and he killed any play...

He plays with small Z energy

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
As for Zucker, he's just another Rust. He'll be a streaky scorer but his speed and ability to chip in offensively without being a liability without the puck are exactly why I wanted him so badly. Perfect fit.
Pretty happy with this assessment. Still feel the same way about Zucker as the puck-hound, gruntwork guy with great wheels.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We don't need to bump threads from years ago. If you want to discuss Zucker - create a new thread.

It tricks people into thinking he was traded. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad