Confirmed with Link: Zucker to Pittsburgh for a 1st, Galchenyuk and Addison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If I remember right they have the option to wait until the 2nd lottery is finished, so why if they lose to Montreal and win the 1st pick would they give that up? If they lose to Montreal and don't win #1, then sure I'm with you and can see em giving it to us.

I think he was assuming that they didn't win the lottery. "Either way" was ~14 this year vs. completely unprotected in 2021.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not a chance PIT gives up the 1st. GM's live in the now, and every year that goes by is one less year that Crosby and Malkin play. They are the very definition of a team who's future is now.

San Jose is a cautionary tale. Nobody had them having the season that they just had. Crosby, Malkin and Letang haven't exactly been perfect pictures of health in their careers, and a season from hell could be just a couple awkward falls away.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
But they didn't win the lottery. Also JR was wrong. 24 teams didn't make the playoffs.
Russo is saying they will decide after the second lottery if they lose. There is a second lottery coming up that they could win if they lose their series against Montreal.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
They might still want to defer it even if they dont win it. Betting on they'd have a lower pick next season baring and bad luck.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Pittsburgh's worst season in the last 13 was a 43 win season for 98 points. If they lose to the Canadiens and don't win the lottery, I would think they'd bet on themselves again and keep the 15th overall this season, deferring the pick to next year.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Pittsburgh's worst season in the last 13 was a 43 win season for 98 points. If they lose to the Canadiens and don't win the lottery, I would think they'd bet on themselves again and keep the 15th overall this season, deferring the pick to next year.

I think it’s probably a 95% chance that this is the case.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I don't think I'd mind if they deferred their pick until the following draft as both Malkin and Crosby aren't getting any younger and their prospect pool are not very experienced with pro experience but you guys would know better than I, possibly some key injuries (not that I'm hoping for that). I feel they wouldn't be any better next year and maybe a lot worse. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’m ok with deferring as well. Pens are going to fall off a cliff at some point. Could be next year.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
If Ryan Suter is still playing at a high level at 35, I'm not holding my breath for Crosby to fall off at 32 or Malkin at 34.

Just temper your expectations. Is there a chance? Sure, always. Is it worth getting your hopes up? Most likely not.

Suter is a bit of a freak of nature, but I see what you're saying. Is it probable those two will fall off a cliff as soon as next year? maybe not but I can see Pitt as a whole not being as good next year.

It took some time but I've learned to temper my expectation with this team.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Do you guys like Galchenyuk? Do you want your team to resign him?

He wasn't awful during the regular season, but he has been downright bad in the playoffs and it's probably best to move on.

Reactions: DAChampion

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I'd rather promise koivu another year in the top6 or top9 with quality minutes before id hand those over to Galy. Don't care to try and gamble on his younger age either quite honestly.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I feel like there is a strong chance that Pittsburgh is going to defer to next year. With Covid-19, it will make scouting a lot more difficult and projection could be all over the map.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Do you guys like Galchenyuk? Do you want your team to resign him?

I think he showed promise in the regular season . He performed horribly in the qualifying rounds, but it's such a weird situation, that I don't think it's good idea to use it that much for evaluating performance. Giving him a 1-year deal @ ~$2M is something I think the team can afford to do & could potentially pay dividends in helping integrate Kaprizov into the team. Galchenyuk seems like he got along really well with the guys and having him be that link between Kaprizov and the rest of the team could be extremely helpful. It also might spark something in Galchenyuk's game, so I'm all for it as a low-risk play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad