Proposal: Zuccarello to Boston

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I like Zuccarello, but i think for 2nd line RW the Bruins are either looking at someone with an expiring deal or someone with only a year left (similar to Coyle last year). Or a far bigger trade for someone closer in age to the Pastrnak, McAvoy, Carlo group.
The Bruins will have trouble adding anyone like you describe with Backes on the books. And if they do they will be playing it very tight with the cap and will most likely not be able to add anything more at the deadline. You make this move you could still add another Coyle or Mojo level player in February.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
In two years Chara will be gone.(still a very important part of the team even if he isn’t the player he once was) Bergeron and Krejci will be over 35, Rask 34 and Marchand 33.

They have to go all in in the next two years if they want a chance to win it all with these guys. You swap Backes with a guy like Zuccarello last deadline they probably win the cup.

Going for it? Good idea. But there are smarter ways to get a winger and dump Backes than committing to having a dead weight contract when McAvoy, Pasta, Carlo, DeBrusk, Heinen, etc hit their primes.

Reactions: bbfan419

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Going for it? Good idea. But there are smarter ways to get a winger and dump Backes than committing to having a dead weight contract when McAvoy, Pasta, Carlo, DeBrusk, Heinen, etc hit their primes.

Assuming it's dead weight and not a wily veteran to supplement your prime players.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I'd love to hear a few.

All those guys you mention are fantastic pieces but unless Bergeron and Krejci can maintain their play in the mid to late 30s or they can find better replacements they are missing a 1st and 2nd liner center. We have both those guys now and I feel a 6 million dollar dead weight contract impacting this and next season hurts our chances at winning a cup more than whatever Zucc's contract ends up becoming 3+ years down the road. Who knows maybe he is good enough to break the twelve man roster in the later years under a higher salary cap which is much, much better than where we are today with Backes.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Assuming it's dead weight and not a wily veteran to supplement your prime players.

Sure. Its a roll of the dice. Bruins (knock on wood) have been very lucky with Bergeron, Krejci and Chara. Not so much on Backes or Seidenberg. I just think there are solid moves out there that don't require the level of risk.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd love to hear a few.

All those guys you mention are fantastic pieces but unless Bergeron and Krejci can maintain their play in the mid to late 30s or they can find better replacements they are missing a 1st and 2nd liner center. We have both those guys now and I feel a 6 million dollar dead weight contract impacting the next few season hurts our chances at winning a cup more than whatever Zucc's contract ends up becoming 3+ years down the road. Who knows maybe he is good enough to break the twelve man roster in the later years under a higher salary cap which is much better than where we are today with Backes.

I mean the easy button is to move Miller when he shows he is healthy, bank some cap space, and grab a rental at the TDL like Palmeri or Toffoli. Beleksey and Seidenberg come off the books this summer. Backes can trade list doubles in size over the summer. Backes will be easier to move in the summer. If they even need to. He also goes from buyout proof to costing 4 million to buyout next year if you want to squeeze a couple extra million. You could also move Moore who is a totally useful player. Yada yada.

They don't NEED to do anything right now. They have not even tried Bjork yet!

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I mean the easy button is to move Miller when he shows he is healthy, bank some cap space, and grab a rental at the TDL like Palmeri or Toffoli. Beleksey and Seidenberg come off the books this summer. Backes can trade list doubles in size over the summer. Backes will be easier to move in the summer. If they even need to. He also goes from buyout proof to costing 4 million to buyout next year if you want to squeeze a couple extra million. You could also move Moore who is a totally useful player. Yada yada.

They don't NEED to do anything right now. They have not even tried Bjork yet!

They could do everything you said and it would only be better with Zuccarello instead of Backes. The Bruins shouldn't be pulling punches or saving themselves for later. They need a knockout punch over the next two years because as much as it hurts, someone could say that last seasons SCF will be the last SCF games Bergeron or Krejci ever played and they could very well be right. It's a long grind to get there and It pains me to think how much better the team could have been or will be with a guy actually worth 6 million not 600k in the top 6. Imagine Having Zuccarello AND Toffoli or Palmeri. That would be a top offensive group. Debrusk-Krejci-Zuccarello and Heinen-Coyle-Toffoli/Palmieri is a huge upgrade on what we had last season. Maybe enough to actually win a cup instead of falling short again and let's not pretend that Backes being overpaid by at the very least 4 million isn't a huge reason why.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd do Backes+Studnicka/Frederic. A 2nd is pretty damn light...Backes is 12M worth of done. Zuccarello is still a viable top 6 player, and a rw at that. Seems to be just what the doctor ordered, unless BOS fans expect to win every trade by a large margin.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Actually, the reality is that neither of us know that for certain.

Again, the Bruins would likely never trade their highest C prospect, a position at which they are pretty barren for high end talent, unless the return was staggering and Zuccarello is not that.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Or they might not.
Let's stick to the obvious point about a trade.
Staggering value as in the return of player(s).

But that's the value that Zuccarello could bring. I mean, if you can take Boston's future center situation into account, where Studnicka's value lies, then I should be able to take Zuccarello's potential impact on the current team into account as well, because that's where his value lies.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Wouldn’t pay Studnicka to go from one bad contract to another. Just get a rental for cheaper. Especially with Zuccarello’s very awful start to the year.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
I would suspect that there would be a team who would give us at least the value of your late 1st without having to send a multi year cap dump back
For a 32 year old who is making $6M for the next five years? Doubtful.

If he was 28 years old, sure.

If Boston needs a winger, Tyler Toffoli should be the player in their cross-hairs.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
32 year old signs 5 year 6 million dollar deal after best playoff run of his career.

Tell me where your heard that one before.

Don’t want Backes 2.0

Reactions: bbfan419 and maxbme

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
But that's the value that Zuccarello could bring. I mean, if you can take Boston's future center situation into account, where Studnicka's value lies, then I should be able to take Zuccarello's potential impact on the current team into account as well, because that's where his value lies.

I really don't think Zuccarello's 5yr deal is something Boston would take on and give up Studnicka. It might look like a really bad deal in yr 3. I also don't think he is the piece that gets them a cup. Zucc is an awes0ome complimentary player and he would do well in Boston, I just don't think the return is the guy they are grooming to be a top 6 C....in an organization that doesn't see, to have another guy with that potential currently.
I think it is a very unlikely scenario.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
32 year old signs 5 year 6 million dollar deal after best playoff run of his career.

Tell me where your heard that one before.

Don’t want Backes 2.0
I mean... yeah. I like Zuccarello a lot, but his contract is awful. Not enough of a + on offense to make sense considering taking on that contract.

Also having a real hard time wrapping my head around the Wild trading him 5 games into his contract. seems like a good way to make sure no big FA signs with you for a long time.

He also has a NMC for the next 3 years.

Reactions: bbfan419

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I mean... yeah. I like Zuccarello a lot, but his contract is awful. Not enough of a + on offense to make sense considering taking on that contract.

Also having a real hard time wrapping my head around the Wild trading him 5 games into his contract. seems like a good way to make sure no big FA signs with you for a long time.

He also has a NMC for the next 3 years.
A.) It would be a mercy trade
B.) From the look of it we won't have to worry about that for a while anyway

Reactions: maxbme

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Jason Zucker... now thats a guy I would be happy with a trade for

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad