Proposal: Zuccarello to Boston

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I'd do Backes+Studnicka/Frederic. A 2nd is pretty damn light...Backes is 12M worth of done. Zuccarello is still a viable top 6 player, and a rw at that. Seems to be just what the doctor ordered, unless BOS fans expect to win every trade by a large margin.
I would maybe trade Frederic possibly, but a big no to Studnicka.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
lol firesale? Guerin said he's going to let things play out a bit longer and give his guys a shot to turn things around.

Selling low on Zucc is not the answer.
I agree, why would the Bs take on a 6x6 contract for a 32 year old on the decline......Bruins front office make enough mistakes on their own without taking on Minnesota's mistakes..........

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I agree, why would the Bs take on a 6x6 contract for a 32 year old on the decline......Bruins front office make enough mistakes on their own without taking on Minnesota's mistakes..........

wouldn't say he's on the decline, just starting off slow and now he's injured

he was on fire in Dallas late last season

Zucc still has plenty left in the tank

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I actually think that Zuccarello is looking for a way out of this misery. So a thread like this one could be more realistic than you may think. Perhaps a return to Dallas? Boston would of course be a great place for him too.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Does anyone actually think that there’s a chance for Zuccarello to get traded?
All he needs to do is waive his NMC and I can't think of many reasons for him to cling to Minnesota right now. It's not like he's got roots here or anything. The guy that signed him isn't even here anymore.

The question would be how off putting his contract is, but my guess is that Minnesota taking back a bad contract would alleviate that. It might come down to how bad that bad contract is: a 1-year cap dump is basically no problem, but beyond that we'd have to be careful.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Backes + what = Zucker?

Bruins would look to avoid Studnicka for reasons already outlined.

But some guys I think the Wild would have interest in:

Steen: C/RW. Been playing against men in Sweden for a few years now and is still only 21. Needs some time to get used to the smaller ice, but will be NHL ready this year. Undersized at 5'9", but doesn't play like it. We have all assumed he would move to wing since the Bruins like big centers, but he looked real good up the middle in Bruins training camp.

Vaakanainen: LD that is a very very smooth skater. Not someone who is going to get too creative offensively, but good on pinches and on breakouts. Should be attractive since he is expansion exempt (Honka rule) and should be able to fill the Brodin role by then.

Frederic: C. Big bodied. Has a good shot but looking like his puck skills are going to keep him out of the top 6. Been used as a matchup center and that is the role you would think he takes in the pros. Models his game after Backes. The young one :).

Backes + Vaakaneinen + Steen + Frederic enough to have a serious conversation?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Backes + what = Zucker?

Bruins would look to avoid Studnicka for reasons already outlined.

But some guys I think the Wild would have interest in:

Steen: C/RW. Been playing against men in Sweden for a few years now and is still only 21. Needs some time to get used to the smaller ice, but will be NHL ready this year. Undersized at 5'9", but doesn't play like it. We have all assumed he would move to wing since the Bruins like big centers, but he looked real good up the middle in Bruins training camp.

Vaakanainen: LD that is a very very smooth skater. Not someone who is going to get too creative offensively, but good on pinches and on breakouts. Should be attractive since he is expansion exempt (Honka rule) and should be able to fill the Brodin role by then.

Frederic: C. Big bodied. Has a good shot but looking like his puck skills are going to keep him out of the top 6. Been used as a matchup center and that is the role you would think he takes in the pros. Models his game after Backes. The young one :).

Backes + Vaakaneinen + Steen + Frederic enough to have a serious conversation?
Not really. It's Zucker for an ugly contract and three okay 21 year olds. We'd be better off just looking for a 2020 1st.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild are not trading Zucker for Backes, unless the + is attractive. Also, unlike Zuccarello, he is best at LW, where he can use his speed to blast wide around defenders. BOS needs a RW.

On the plus side to the deal, Backes would fit right into Minnesota as an aging C who can't play any more. Unfortunately, he makes almost twice what Staal does.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
there is no way the Bruins should take on that kind of contract..............Zero chance

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
If we're not in position to compete... he could easily decide to waive his NMC for a chance to do so elsewhere.

When he signed his contract he chose a place he wanted to settle down, who at the same time gave him a insurance and a long contract.
If not he could and would have chosen a cheaper and/or shorter contract elsewhere.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
When he signed his contract he chose a place he wanted to settle down, who at the same time gave him a insurance and a long contract.
If not he could and would have chosen a cheaper and/or shorter contract elsewhere.
Also a franchise he felt could be competitive. Since it appears we're not, he could be willing to move to a team that is.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Also a franchise he felt could be competitive. Since it appears we're not, he could be willing to move to a team that is.

He could, but i think it’s unlikely.
A lot can happen in the next couple of years, but even he knows only one team will win and the chances of him choosing that team is slim to none.
Would he rather stay put and see what happens the next 5 years?

I think so.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
He really hates losing games, and it looks like he'll have to deal with that for a long time. Who knows what he's thinking, if he wants to leave he should do it now. I believe he plans to buy a property there, once that's done he's there to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad