Proposal: Zuccarello to Boston

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
So Boston need a 2RW and Minnesota is going to have a firesale, Well in that case:

To Boston: Mats Zuccarello - 5 years at 6 mill cap hit

To Minnesota: David Backes - 2 years at 6 mill cap hit + 2020 2nd round pick

Reactions: bbfan419

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah we need more if we’re taking Backes

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
lol firesale? Guerin said he's going to let things play out a bit longer and give his guys a shot to turn things around.

Selling low on Zucc is not the answer.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
lol firesale? Guerin said he's going to let things play out a bit longer and give his guys a shot to turn things around.

Selling low on Zucc is not the answer.

Why are you LOL-ing me? I was referring to treads on this forum.

Edit: Sorry my mistake. No treads about firesale. Dont know were I was that

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why are you LOL-ing me? I was referring to treads on this forum.

Edit: Sorry my mistake. No treads about firesale. Dont know were I was that

There was a thread about Minnesota having a fire sale but it wasn’t grounded in anything more than speculation for the sake of discussion, and then the Guerin thread kind of buried it.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
A big no thanks. Zucc’s contract is ugly.

Boston would be stupid to not do this. You kick the cap problem can a few years down the road and have a good top 6 winger instead of a 6 million dollar 13th forward for the cost of a second round pick while you’re in win now mode. In years 3-5 the Bruins are going to need to do some major retooling anyways with the decline of the vets and a 6 million dollar cap hit will be a little easier to swallow.

Minnesota wouldn’t do it for just a second round pick IMO anyways.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
How about Backes + Conditional 1st for Kovalchuk

If whatever conditions are do not happen it becomes a 2nd

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
With Bergeron and Krejci approaching their mid 30s there is no way they can afford to give up their best center prospect, who can also play RW(their weakest position today by far) What about Backes and a 1st?

I would suspect that there would be a team who would give us at least the value of your late 1st without having to send a multi year cap dump back

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
No thanks. Would rather have the Backes contract which is expiring in < 2 years

In two years Chara will be gone.(still a very important part of the team even if he isn’t the player he once was) Bergeron and Krejci will be over 35, Rask 34 and Marchand 33.

They have to go all in in the next two years if they want a chance to win it all with these guys. You swap Backes with a guy like Zuccarello last deadline they probably win the cup.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I would suspect that there would be a team who would give us at least the value of your late 1st without having to send a multi year cap dump back

I don’t see any team moving a 1st for Zuccarello with that contract. He didn’t even receive a straight up 1st last season while having a retained 3.15m contract.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
In two years Chara will be gone.(still a very important part of the team even if he isn’t the player he once was) Bergeron and Krejci will be over 35, Rask 34 and Marchand 33.

They have to go all in in the next two years if they want a chance to win it all with these guys. You swap Backes with a guy like Zuccarello last deadline they probably win the cup.

Maybe last season Zuccarello would have put this team over the top, but this season he has a terrible contract. 32 years old with a 5 years $30 million on his contract - no thanks. That's the same sort of albatross that Sweeney signed Backes. Acquiring him is just adding another 5 years of salary cap limitation.

Reactions: Sevendust

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
With Bergeron and Krejci approaching their mid 30s there is no way they can afford to give up their best center prospect, who can also play RW(their weakest position today by far) What about Backes and a 1st?

In the event that we're actually selling off, then sure. Zuccarello is found money anyways.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Maybe last season Zuccarello would have put this team over the top, but this season he has a terrible contract. 32 years old with a 5 years $30 million on his contract - no thanks. That's the same sort of albatross that Sweeney signed Backes. Acquiring him is just adding another 5 years of salary cap limitation.

I think that adding another 5 years(actually 3) of salary cap limitation is worth it if your upgrading from Backes to Zuccarello and your in win now mode. Zuccarello would be better than any winger we’ve had on our second line since Eriksson’s last season here 4 years ago. He was dynamite in the playoff games I watched last year and would be a great compliment to Krejci and Debrusk.

Reactions: 24 others

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
I like Zuccarello, but i think for 2nd line RW the Bruins are either looking at someone with an expiring deal or someone with only a year left (similar to Coyle last year). Or a far bigger trade for someone closer in age to the Pastrnak, McAvoy, Carlo group.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Absolutely not from Boston. Zucc contact is horrendous.

For the next two years, very important years considering the Bruins’ centers ages, it is infinitely better than having Backes around. I am surprised My fellow Bruins fans aren’t all over this. This trade fills the biggest weakness on the roster for Zero cap implications over the next two seasons.

I don’t know about you but I really want one more cup from this core and if we are being honest, it’s only got about about 2 years left before an inevitable decline. I think it’s possible they could still be very good but they were just the smallest big not good enough last season and I see the next two years as having a better chance than the 3 years following it.

Zuccarello would be a great Bruin. A skilled, versatile player that plays much bigger than his size. He’s IMO a rather significant upgrade on Mojo. I think he’s still got 2 or 3 more very good years left in him. While his contract isn’t great because the last two years I think we need to Remember that a player with a 6m cap hit in 2015-2019 is going to have different expectations than one in 2021-2024. For that reason alone it will never be as bad as the Backes contract.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad