Zuccarello had brain contusion, temporarily lost ability to speak

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
I'm glad he recovered. I assume he will stop playing hockey...or keep playing and sue the league for not telling him that hits to the head aren't good for you.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
It's asinine that the NHL hasn't forced players to wear full cages yet. Not only protects from injuries like this, but also helps keep the helmet secured properly (as opposed to the dangling chinstraps the NHL lets players get away with).

Honestly? The only reason is the fans cant see their faces. For some reason its ok in the NFL but doesnt wash in the NHL.

Jun 22, 2009
Honestly? The only reason is the fans cant see their faces. For some reason its ok in the NFL but doesnt wash in the NHL.

Might aswell wrap them in bubble wrap while were at it.

Hope Zuc can fully recover, he's one of the only Ranger players that's enjoyable to watch.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Relatedly, the human brain is amazing. A person can have perfect function except in one critical area.

Isn't every animals brain like that? Each area specializes? It wouldn't make sense in any way to have the whole thing as an amorphous blob where ever tiny part did part of something different than its neighbors.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
For anyone saying his career might be done or anything like that, he is expected to make a full recovery.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
For anyone saying his career might be done or anything like that, he is expected to make a full recovery.

Does that mean there is no possibility of another head hit ending career or does that mean the skull fracture part?
Hoping for both

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
I don't want to imagine how scary that must have been.

I hope the recovery goes well. He's a fun player to watch and just might be the best underdog story in the league... He's an easy guy to root for.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Does that mean there is no possibility of another head hit ending career or does that mean the skull fracture part?
Hoping for both

I mean there is always a possibility of something like that happening, but the doctors told him he would be ready for next season. The fracture will heal and the brain needs time to heal, but it will.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It's asinine that the NHL hasn't forced players to wear full cages yet. Not only protects from injuries like this, but also helps keep the helmet secured properly (as opposed to the dangling chinstraps the NHL lets players get away with).

Asinine that you didn't watch the video and see that it hit him in the helmet.

So typically reactionary. The perfect post to describe the state of hockey debate in 2015.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
uhhh pretty sure he would have rather had a concussion and his injury is wayyyyy worse then a concussion so im not sure i understand how you think this.

how can an injury where you fracture your skull, a contusion in the brain causing internal bleeding, making you unable move your body or cant speak at all be better/easier to fix then having a concussion?

am i missing something here?

Ye ur missing something. And ur wrong when ur saying his injury is way worse than a concussion. People sometimes have to retire or dont play for over a year etc after they get a concussion. They often struggle with alot of symptoms/side effects for many years/the rest of their life after a concussion! And when u get a concussion ur much more likely to get another one later and that can be very dangerous!
Zucc got a bleeding on the brain but once they stop the bleeding on the brain he is basically "healthy". He is not ready to play etc but when u stop the bleeding on the brain the doctors can get the brain back to normal pretty fast and they have to help the oksygen delivery and blood flow to the brain etc so that gets back to normal.They often also has to relearn some skills like speaking,how to move etc and that all depends on the individual situation. Zuccs injury is scary as hell and it could have been alot worse but the way he talked about it in the media etc he has been lucky if u can say that. Could have been alot worse and it all depends on what kind of bleeding on the brain the person has. He did not have the most dangerous one cause if he had he would not have been anywhere else than in the hospital right now! Not saying its not dangerous cause it is, but a concussion is more dangerous for a career and for your brain the rest of ur life and often take longer rehabilitation time to get healthy if u ever get healthy than the injury Zucc has.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Basically it means he brain was swollen and it was affecting a certain part of his brain right?

Is this life threatening?

It could have been life threatening if the bleeding and swelling was so severe it raised the pressure preventing the brain from getting enough blood. But at this point he is most likely out of that kind of danger. The fact he regained his speech so quickly probably meant the brain was only disrupted by the bleeding and that a majority of the cells survived.

It looked like the puck hit him by the left temple and that is where Broca's area is located which is responsible for the production of speech.

qjjp8vpv-1406208146.jpg

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
I had this. Over the Summer, he'll recognize different symptoms. My earliest memories shifted from childhood to mid-twenties. NBD, but the entire system is impacted. A big brain injury is always there. Sucks that the NHL won't allow useful helmets.

Out of curiosity, what helmet technology is useful and available that the NHL won't allow?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad