Zuccarello had brain contusion, temporarily lost ability to speak

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Love of the game + monetary incentive for what should be considered a very short amount of time to make a lifetime's worth of income.

Sure, he can retire now, and likely make enough to live well enough while still participating in the game of hockey, be it coaching in his native country of Norway or something along those lines, but I wouldn't blame the guy if he decided to put his body on the line (just as everyone else does in this brutal game) to continue to make his level of income.

Don't get me wrong, the love of the game is a huge variable, but the amount of zeros on a pay cheque and that influence is hard to ignore.

While I agree with everything you said there is a point when your brain gets that ****ed up that you need to step back and really evaluate your quality of life. God forbid if he's that much more susceptible going forward and something happens next season.

He's still really young guy and needs to be thinking about the rest of his life. This isn't a bum knee or hip you have to deal with after your playing days are over this is your ability to think/talk/etc.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
While I agree with everything you said there is a point when your brain gets that ****ed up that you need to step back and really evaluate your quality of life. God forbid if he's that much more susceptible going forward and something happens next season.

He's still really young guy and needs to be thinking about the rest of his life. This isn't a bum knee or hip you have to deal with after your playing days are over this is your ability to think/talk/etc.

Agreed, but it's weighing the chance of something like this happening again vs. the avails toward comfortably living after he's done playing. Especially considering he's expected to fully recover.

It's a hard decision, but it's there. I bet the love of the game pushes him over the edge, and he continues. It's just a game, sure, but to these guys it's also a lifestyle (seen through both of how he values his life through playing the game, and the income influence).

Bandwagon In Flames*

Hope he's able to recover to 100%. Believe it or not, Zuccarello being in the NHL has had a big effect of growing the NHL brand in Norway.

He's the only active Norwegian born NHLer and I work with several Norwegians who followed the playoffs just because of him.

He plays an exciting brand of hockey and seems like a great guy. Hoping for the best!

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Amen.

I mean, I think of a time or two in my life when I woke up and couldn't move momentarily and that was utterly terrifying. Can't imagine going for days like Zucc did, whole life changes spontaneously. Hope all the best for a full recovery and a nice long restful break for him.

The difference in the two situations is that Zuccarello would theoretically have been rapidly diagnosed and the extent of risk assessed, though I am only assuming. It would truly be alarming when you can't speak / move / etc. and don't know why; however, when a doctor spells out what's going on and that successful treatment should completely reverse the condition, it's much more hopeful and easy on the nerves of the person affected.

Also, for you youngsters (I assume, again) who warn against a player dying from an on-ice injury, it has already happened. That's why there's a Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
The good thing is that he didnt get a concussion! Believe it or not his injury is "easier" to fix and he will get healthy much earlier than alot of guys with concussion! Talked with a friend who is a journalist in Norway that was in NY today and talked to Zucc and he should be ready long before training camp so thats great! He have to go to speech therapy to learn/remember words/sentences/pronunciations etc but other than that he is actually close to beeing healthy! Doesnt have to be "afraid" about his head like people have to be they get concussions. Great news, as a fellow norwegian and nyr fan it sucked that he got injured but really happy he is starting to feel better.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The good thing is that he didnt get a concussion! Believe it or not his injury is "easier" to fix and he will get healthy much earlier than alot of guys with concussion! Talked with a friend who is a journalist in Norway that was in NY today and talked to Zucc and he should be ready long before training camp so thats great! He have to go to speech therapy to learn/remember words/sentences/pronunciations etc but other than that he is actually close to beeing healthy! Doesnt have to be "afraid" about his head like people have to be they get concussions. Great news, as a fellow norwegian and nyr fan it sucked that he got injured but really happy he is starting to feel better.

uhhh pretty sure he would have rather had a concussion and his injury is wayyyyy worse then a concussion so im not sure i understand how you think this.

how can an injury where you fracture your skull, a contusion in the brain causing internal bleeding, making you unable move your body or cant speak at all be better/easier to fix then having a concussion?

am i missing something here?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
That's insane! Man, that's wild... what a trooper.

Now, we will get a few articles on how the NHL needs to adopt sponge pucks.

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
uhhh pretty sure he would have rather had a concussion and his injury is wayyyyy worse then a concussion so im not sure i understand how you think this.

how can an injury where you fracture your skull, a contusion in the brain causing internal bleeding, making you unable move your body or cant speak at all be better/easier to fix then having a concussion?

am i missing something here?

Depends on the concussion. In that article it mentions there was a chance he could have played again this year depending on how far the Rangers went and will be ready for next season. I would take that over one of the concussions that knock some guys out of the league.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The difference in the two situations is that Zuccarello would theoretically have been rapidly diagnosed and the extent of risk assessed, though I am only assuming. It would truly be alarming when you can't speak / move / etc. and don't know why; however, when a doctor spells out what's going on and that successful treatment should completely reverse the condition, it's much more hopeful and easy on the nerves of the person affected.

Also, for you youngsters (I assume, again) who warn against a player dying from an on-ice injury, it has already happened. That's why there's a Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy.

For sure. Knowledge of the situation and diagnosis helps immensely. Obviously it was a leap, just was trying to wrap my head around the feeling of not having that kind of control!

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
i have to be serious here though, why is zuccarello still wanting to play? yes i understand his love for the game and he may feel that it isnt bad but players have concussions and come back with risk of another concussion. zuccarello after having that injury and not being able to move arms or speak is scary and what could happen if he gets hit in the head again? i dont even want to think about it

im hoping he comes back healthy and owns like he usually does but im really hesitant on wanting him to play

Well. It kinda is the same as if you are a pro bike-rider and crash on a bike and sustain rough injuries. Because it happened once, doesn't mean it will happen again.

Kinda strange to see that out of the 5 Norwegians that have played in the NHL, 2 of them have gotten one of the more strange/unfortunate injuries.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
i have to be serious here though, why is zuccarello still wanting to play? yes i understand his love for the game and he may feel that it isnt bad but players have concussions and come back with risk of another concussion. zuccarello after having that injury and not being able to move arms or speak is scary and what could happen if he gets hit in the head again? i dont even want to think about it

im hoping he comes back healthy and owns like he usually does but im really hesitant on wanting him to play

Because it's his career?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Because it's his career?

yes i understand that, but you wouldnt think that another hit to the head could mess him up for life after what he went through? i understand the risk that is there every day in life and im clearly alone in this opinion but i would prefer to not see his life be messed up with another head injury, especially after how bad the first one was

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I had this. Over the Summer, he'll recognize different symptoms. My earliest memories shifted from childhood to mid-twenties. NBD, but the entire system is impacted. A big brain injury is always there. Sucks that the NHL won't allow useful helmets.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's asinine that the NHL hasn't forced players to wear full cages yet. Not only protects from injuries like this, but also helps keep the helmet secured properly (as opposed to the dangling chinstraps the NHL lets players get away with).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad