Zuccarello had brain contusion, temporarily lost ability to speak

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...t-ability-speak-head-injury-article-1.2242623

"I don't know what you guys know, but there was a small fracture in my head. I lost my (ability to) talk and some feeling in my arm and stuff. I was in the hospital for three days," Zuccarello said. "I couldn't talk for a while. I had a contusion, some blood in my brain. That affects a lot. I went to speech therapy. I'm getting much better. I couldn't say a word for four days... I feel much better and I'm getting better and better."

Woah.

BigBush*

How did he suffer the injury?

Hockey is such a grueling sport, I'm not looking forward to the day an NHL player dies from an injury or a freak accident

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
i have to be serious here though, why is zuccarello still wanting to play? yes i understand his love for the game and he may feel that it isnt bad but players have concussions and come back with risk of another concussion. zuccarello after having that injury and not being able to move arms or speak is scary and what could happen if he gets hit in the head again? i dont even want to think about it

im hoping he comes back healthy and owns like he usually does but im really hesitant on wanting him to play

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't even remember him getting hit with the puck, just skating off holding his jaw. Assumed it was a broken jaw or some tooth problem.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Imagine how terrifying that would be, to have it happen so suddenly

Amen.

I mean, I think of a time or two in my life when I woke up and couldn't move momentarily and that was utterly terrifying. Can't imagine going for days like Zucc did, whole life changes spontaneously. Hope all the best for a full recovery and a nice long restful break for him.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
i have to be serious here though, why is zuccarello still wanting to play? yes i understand his love for the game and he may feel that it isnt bad but players have concussions and come back with risk of another concussion. zuccarello after having that injury and not being able to move arms or speak is scary and what could happen if he gets hit in the head again? i dont even want to think about it

im hoping he comes back healthy and owns like he usually does but im really hesitant on wanting him to play

Love of the game + monetary incentive for what should be considered a very short amount of time to make a lifetime's worth of income.

Sure, he can retire now, and likely make enough to live well enough while still participating in the game of hockey, be it coaching in his native country of Norway or something along those lines, but I wouldn't blame the guy if he decided to put his body on the line (just as everyone else does in this brutal game) to continue to make his level of income.

Don't get me wrong, the love of the game is a huge variable, but the amount of zeros on a pay cheque and that influence is hard to ignore.

Evergreen

Yikes. That's a truly frightening injury. Glad he seems to be doing better. Hope he recovers fully. He an exciting player to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad