Post-Game Talk: Zoinks! Jets win 5-4. Back in a WC spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetkarma*

He is paid to stop the puck. THAT IS HIS ONLY RESPONSIBILITY. He is a terrible goalie. I am allowed to say that as many times as I like if it's pertinent to the discussion at hand.

And so you do ....

If we had any other goalie we would have shut out the Canucks.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
He fell , albeit softly , in the corner with some battling , didn't look like a hard or took a bad fall but he was not quick to get up and reacted like it was pretty bad. Maurice said it appeared better than it initially loked but they would see tomorrow.

looked like his right arm was hooked around Dorsett's shoulder neck area and then Dorsett gave him an odd throw to the ground with his right arm still hanging on to him. Could of either dislocated it, hyper extended or just strained his shoulder/arm but who knows. I think he will be back next game.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Don't forget all the breakaways the team gave up. The same thing happened in the Chicago game. I don't like this trend at all.

We are giving up breakaways because of Maurice, not the players. Some teams are exploiting our offensive pressure by stretching us.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
LLF seemed to be back on their heels quite a bit vs. the Sedin line. They came out on top of that matchup in the end, but I'd score that as more of a victory for Enstrom-Myers than anything. Despite his gaffe on the Canucks third goal, I thought Enstrom was solid for the most part.

Trouba seems to have become the defenseman that many seem to think Buff is; high-risk, high-event, mixing in brilliant offensive plays with catastrophes and some bad reads. His attempted hit at centre ice that lead to a Canucks breakaway was...wow. I'm not really liking his riverboat gambler game of late.

Tlusty has started to look like a brilliant pickup. Not to take away from Slater and Thorburn (both of whom have stepped it up), but he's given that line an injection of life. On the flip side, Stafford has continued to be a dog of late. He's got some major yips with the puck, and his defensive reads have been poor.

Can't help but think that the fishbowl is affecting Wheeler's game. He just doesn't look comfortable out there, especially when the puck is in his skates.

Pavelec looked lost in this game, like he didn't know where his net was. Flapping at routine shots, flopping wildly, not pushing off from his knees...he was a mess. Some big saves for sure, but there's nothing about his play that is inspiring confidence.

Canucks seem to be a bad matchup for the Jets, and once again got them away from their game. It worked out in the end, but they aren't going to win many up and down contests like this. I think they'll welcome the heavy, grinding games that Minnesota and St. Louis will play.

Huge win! :yo:

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
....draft lottery win and this team is a dynasty.

either they reward us with a draft lottery win or we get in the playoffs and go on a magical run for the ultimate glory.

either way they should reward us for the crap they've been pulling on us this year.

ok Hockey Gods...don't smite me now :help:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I watched the highlights. Those first 3 goals against were ****ing terrible. Holy cow. Why was Henrik allowed to BE BEHIND Pavelec in the crease? Why was Pav not against the post on the 2nd? How did Pavs manage to not seal the bottom of the net on the breakaway, you know, like most other netminders when they face that deke?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
We eliminated Colorado and Dallas with today's win.

Not that it matters, but Avs, Stars and Jets all have 4 games left. Jets have 92 points, Avs and Stars have 84. Even if Avs win all 4 cleanly they'd still finish behind the Jets because Jets would win the ROW tiebreaker. Avs could still pass the Kings or Flames though, depending on the result of the Kings-Flames game later this month.

If Jets lose all their remaining games they finish with 92 points, and Calgary will have at least 93. If the Stars win all their games they end up with 92 points. Right now Stars and Jets both have 33 ROW, so Stars would very likely rank higher with more ROW (they'd be bound to get at least 1 more ROW if they win 4 games). Kings have 90 points and 5 games left. If the above happens and Kings only get 1 point in those games, Stars would get the last wildcard -- 92 points/34+ ROW for Stars, 92 points/33 ROW for Jets, 91 points for Kings. If Kings win only 1 game and get a ROW, they'd have 92 points/37 ROW. If Stars win all 4 in regulation/OT, they'd have 92 points/37 ROW. I don't know who would win the tiebreaker in that case.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Tlusty, Slater, Thirburn, Perreault, Lowry, Stempniak all good!

Pardy, Trouba okay!

Anyone else mentioned not so good!

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
He is paid to stop the puck. THAT IS HIS ONLY RESPONSIBILITY. He is a terrible goalie. I am allowed to say that as many times as I like if it's pertinent to the discussion at hand.

I'm not even sure why any NHL teams pay the other players on the bench more than league minimum.

Goalies are the only person on the ice that make any difference to the score against.
Really should just play 5 forwards and depend on the goalie to stop 14 out of 15 shots regardless of where the shots come from.

jetkarma*

Don't forget all the breakaways the team gave up. The same thing happened in the Chicago game. I don't like this trend at all.

We have given up a lot of chances like that in the last few games , agreed , far too many . Run and gun isn't going to work for us long term imo , not with this roster anyway.

Great win , terrifically exciting , not well played overall , at all though . Win ugly , steal a win , whatever ... Al Davis was right , " Just Win Baby " ... sometimes that's the extent of it .

We needed this win , we got it , things to improve on and fix , but we are alive , now hopefully some help tonight from some teams that have golfing on their minds.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
A win is a win, jets have had ups and downs, so I'm confident they'll tighten up defensively. They are playing hard and you can tell guys are playing hurt.
One thing I don't like from the coaching staff is their in zone pp set up on the face off, never liked that setup and think they lose way more because of it than they win, just my small pet peeve.
Love perreault back!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Who knows and who cares what Kane did?

My beef is with Buff, who is apparently the self-proclaimed "alpha" of the locker-room. His actions and suspension show a real lack of maturity and leadership, leaving his team in a very difficult position at the worst possible time.

Being a "way better player" isn't relevant. It's about his actions. He's sitting so we get to watch Pardy trying to get us into the playoffs playing RD. :shakehead Now that's a terrifying ride.

How do you know Buff has proclaimed himself the "alpha male" of the locker room? Were you there? Personally, I think Buff was chosen to be the one who "took action" (whatever that may have been) for a very specific reason.

The point is, the Kane situation has nothing to do with anything now. There's no point even mentioning it anymore.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Yeah we got the win today, but the outlook isn't great for the near future is it?

maybe, maybe not. We've bounced back from games like this before. Like the game in Tampa. We got what we needed from this game in the two points The outlook is better for us than before the game started.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I watched the highlights. Those first 3 goals against were ****ing terrible. Holy cow. Why was Henrik allowed to BE BEHIND Pavelec in the crease? Why was Pav not against the post on the 2nd? How did Pavs manage to not seal the bottom of the net on the breakaway, you know, like most other netminders when they face that deke?

The breakaway goal was ridiculous. He just flops on his belly for no reason and leaves the net open.

The Henrik goal Pavelec is completely unaware of his net. When Pavelec doesn't know where the puck is (which is a lot) he just sits still where ever he is. He doesn't try to get to a safer position. He's likely readying his mean mug for his teammates on the inevitable goal.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
*Turns on the illegal curve post game podcast

"The Jets Didn't deserve the win"

*Turns off the illegal curve post game podcast.

Well if that's how they feel than we were owed this one after the Chicago game when the linesman decided to run interference on Toby so the Hawks could tie the game. It's not like the Canucks deserved this game anymore than us really.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
We are giving up breakaways because of Maurice, not the players. Some teams are exploiting our offensive pressure by stretching us.

Bingo. The D pinch / forward sliding back works great to keep pressure in the offensive zone, but it also gives opposing coaches an opportunity to pressure THAT pressure with stretch passes. The faster teams have been trying to exploit it recently.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Have to admit, playing that bad against a team that could've locked up their spot with a win and still coming away with two clean points in regulation makes me think Vancouver has to be worried about their team's ability too. Pavs played lousy, the Jats defense wasn't great and we still somehow come out with a finish that was closer than it needed to be.

...I don't mind going into the last four games needing to win 2 (one against Calgary) rather than having to win out. Go Jats Go.

Soble

Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
Bye Bye Bure!

Anyone around section 324 know why that guy was kicked out?

That guy was being a **** all game, and was pretty hammered. Had the whole washroom on him when he was dishing it out from the urinal. "9th place" was about the limit of his creativity. The whole section had the "looooooserrrr" chant going in the third.

Seemed to crave the attention though. Saw him after the game and he walked out the door after being kept for a bit by security near the main entrance. Big smile still on his face.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Would argue it's the players to an extent, combined with Maurice's system.

Transitional defense from the forwards is their Achilles' heel from a personnel and strategic standpoint. Little and Frolik are the only ones who are truly good transitional defenders. Ladd and Scheifele are average (Scheif is improving at it, mind you). Wheeler and Stafford are terrible at it. It leaves them vulnerable, especially when protecting leads.

I'd like to see the Jets go back to Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler, drop Stafford down to the third line. Matty's another guy who defends pretty well through the neutral zone.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
3rd and 4th lines played great. Frolik was good as well.

Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Staff, Scheif all ok, none were bad, but aside from some plays here and there, none had A games.

Pardy was good, Harrison not bad, Myers and Enstrom both so-so. Thought Trouba was pretty weak, as he has been past 5 games.

The best thing for me aside from the 2 points, is 4 lines playing well. Despite the top 6 having off games, they still got 2 goals for us. Bottom 6 picked up the rest. If this was any other Jet 2.0 team, 2 goals from the top 6, you better hope you win 2-1 or 2-0, because depth did not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad