Post-Game Talk: Zoinks! Jets win 5-4. Back in a WC spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I guess some should ask themselves if losing pretty is better than winning ugly.

no, obviously it isn't. Everyone is happy with the win. Some of us would like it if the team looked a little more like a team that might win a few more, that's all. It's all well and good to say we played well enough to "deserve" wins in a couple of our recent losses, but the fact is if you are giving up goals repeatedly with only minutes to go at the end of games, you don't deserve the win no matter how well you played the previous 55 minutes. That really isn't "losing pretty." It's just losing...

A better statement is "winning pretty is better than winning ugly."

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012
The fans on Facebook don't. Most of them think all is well.

Post anything negative about Pav's play on Facebook and you get swarmed on by the same 6 or 7 people who tell you that "you don't know anything about hockey", as well as getting sworn at and called a troll or an idiot. It's a very unpleasant place to talk about hockey.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Because it was seriously ugly in many ways. We needed more than the usual amount of luck.

But, hey is Perreault great or what? Tlusty isn't flashy but he makes the 4th line almost good. Love Stempniak. Keep him Chevy!

Oh, I know it was seriously ugly, but needing a warning from moderators ugly? I don't understand why we can't be civil to each other, even in disagreements. It's why I avoid post game threads after a loss - we're far more similar to our Maple Leaf fandom brethren than we would care to admit.

I don't want to gloss over the multiple errors of judgement in the game; the defense pinching with a 2 goal lead in the third, Pavelec unable to track the puck with clear lanes of sight, forwards not cycling into the backcheck to help out the defense, and on and on. It was bad. But that never excuses posters being rude and inappropriate to one another. That was my point.

And as proof, you and I were both capable of being civil to one another during this brief discussion! :)

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Post anything negative about Pav's play on Facebook and you get swarmed on by the same 6 or 7 people who tell you that "you don't know anything about hockey", as well as getting sworn at and called a troll or an idiot. It's a very unpleasant place to talk about hockey.

Facebook, Free Press and Sun comments sections - oh, they're not places where you go to have enlightened discussions about anything.

I like HFBoards and Twitter because I can ignore the swarmers.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
IF we go by the premise that Pavs will have something to prove against the Blues, then Hutch should get Minny.

I'd like to think Pav would go into the game against the Blues with an edge and a desire to get revenge, but I honestly don't feel like he has that element in his character. Frankly, I feel like him having "something to prove" against any team is almost a reason to NOT put him in because he rarely seems to rise to that kind of challenge.

That said though, I don't really care which of our guys is in at this point. Hutch certainly hasn't done anything to make me feel confident in his game lately...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As probably the biggest Ladd fan on this board, I would maintain that he's never been anything more than average-ish 'defensively'. What he actually is? He's an elite neutral zone and offensive zone forechecker that scores at a first line rate 5v5 going back to his 1st year in Chicago.

very interesting point about Ladd Max. I never looked at it that way.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Just finished the nice family dinner I had lined up; glad I gave the usual post-win disgust and disappointment a chance to die down.

Sounds like there were a lot of ugly moments in the game, and I sure hope Toby is okay. And the out-of-town scoreboard ain't helping either. But you know what? We won a game that not everyone may have given us a chance to win. Since this is not figure skating, there are in fact NO style points so the two points we got spend just as well as any others.

Call me a cheerleader if you want, but I don't care. Folks, the end is in sight and our chances are as real now as they've been all year. If you really, truly, want to give up -- I can't ask a tiger to change their spots </YogiBerra> but at least just hold off for a few games? If you really get what you want, you'll have all off-season to work on your Eeyore impressions.

Plus, YUSSSS GO JETS GO, that is all.

:handclap::handclap:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'm not a massive Perreault fan but he is a great player and I'm so glad we have him (especially on the third line! such depth!)

Next year we could be great if we keep this level of skill in bottom 6 (either re-sign people or get Ehlers/Petan/Copp/Armia/Burmi/UFA etc)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i think it's obvious that you ride Pavs for the rest of the season.
i'd even do it for the B2B, pending on the results from night 1.
people who argue that Hutchinson should be in net have a strange agenda and refuse to pay attention to the results from the last month.
Pavs won last night. wasn't his best game (nor was the game the night before), but he still had a few nice stops, including the breakaway. he had D zone breakdowns a la mode for the last 2 games.
even if he's regressing back to Old Pavs, it's wiser to ride him than a rookie and full-regressed Hutchinson who has shown jack crap over the past month.

go you with the devil you know. no questions asked.

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
Jets plays mediocre and beat the Habs and Canucks.... play well and lost to Hawks and Rangers.... Karma is a funny thing.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
people who argue that Hutchinson should be in net have a strange agenda and refuse to pay attention to the results from the last month.
Pavs won last night. wasn't his best game (nor was the game the night before), but he still had a few nice stops, including the breakaway. he had D zone breakdowns a la mode for the last 2 games.
even if he's regressing back to Old Pavs, it's wiser to ride him than a rookie and full-regressed Hutchinson who has shown jack crap over the past month.

I have no agenda. I'd start Hutch agàinst Minny and Pav against StL.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yep, I still think you start Hutch in one of the b2bs. Not because I think Hutch has been playing well, but just because I think that playing Pav both games of a B2b is almost a sure way to lose at least one of them.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I have no agenda. I'd start Hutch agàinst Minny and Pav against StL.

Basically this. Pavs is back in stink mode and Hutch can't possibly play much worse than what we've seen these last few games. I watched Pavs slink around on his knee's during that play when it was 5-3 and they scored and just got to wondering how he was ever going to stop that puck...

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Sometimes what is "obvious" is not actually true. Read this:
http://jetsnation.ca/2015/3/16/how-worried-should-the-jets-be-about-michael-hutchinson

I have simplified one of Garret's favourite stats on this matter and call it The rule of 15:
In a random 15 game sample, a bad goalie will outperform a good goalie about 15% of the time.

In other words, goalies are 'streaky' and you can't write them off on a small sample size.
People around here should know I am not anti-Pav, but the fact is that he not playing great right now and the Jets need better goaltending to get them into the playoffs. Hutch's career stats, at all levels, including pressure games in the AHL and NHL, are pretty darn good, except for the last 15 games.
Time to give him one more chance.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd like to think Pav would go into the game against the Blues with an edge and a desire to get revenge, but I honestly don't feel like he has that element in his character. Frankly, I feel like him having "something to prove" against any team is almost a reason to NOT put him in because he rarely seems to rise to that kind of challenge.

That said though, I don't really care which of our guys is in at this point. Hutch certainly hasn't done anything to make me feel confident in his game lately...

I don't totally disagree with this as a general Pavs trait, but recently he did put up a .970 and a shootout win over the Blues since that goal. Technically he did get his revenge game, and performed very well.

Of course he was playing very well in lots of games at the time, something that has dropped off of late. Either way, I guess Mo doesn't really have much of a decision here, as you gotta split the starts in this B2B. Hopefully someone (or both?) steps up.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't totally disagree with this as a general Pavs trait, but recently he did put up a .970 and a shootout win over the Blues since that goal. Technically he did get his revenge game, and performed very well.

Of course he was playing very well in lots of games at the time, something that has dropped off of late. Either way, I guess Mo doesn't really have much of a decision here, as you gotta split the starts in this B2B. Hopefully someone (or both?) steps up.

yeah yr right I forgot we'd already played the Blues once since "that terrible goal".

jetkarma*

Time to give him one more chance.

Maybe.

Don't think anyone should feel confident about that though . He's not shown anything the last while to warrant that. If you do start him you feel he won't let in a very soft goal like he has in virtually all of his last starts , do you trust that over starting Pavs?

The feel they have internally and from practice will tell us how they feel about Hutch . For all the negativity toward Pavs , some deserved , some not , Hutch has raised an eyebrow or two with both his play and some comments and demeanour , at least for me he has.

Love it if he played and played well and won .

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

THat's the thing, the .970. He puts up those but still has a career average around .906. What does that tell you?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I haven't written Hutch off yet. He's had a bad stretch, but I still feel he's likely a better goalie than Pavelec. How much better is arguable though.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Hutch was great earlier in the season when he wasn't getting a lot of starts.
My be the past couple of weeks without playing working with the goalie coach have got him back on form.

He definately needs to play one of the btb games, Pavs does not do well in btb.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Play the hot goalie. Let them split the back to back and if one wins and one loses, go with that guy the next game.

He wins, keep him in. He loses, take him out. That's it.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Play the hot goalie. Let them split the back to back and if one wins and one loses, go with that guy the next game.

He wins, keep him in. He loses, take him out. That's it.

I agree with this but I'd say try Hutch in the first game because he is at least practicing today.

Hopefully one will emerge hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad