Zibanejad 5 and a game for ‘boarding’ Faksa

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
I think they said the linesman called it. The ref was right next to the play and he made no call. When they saw he was injured the refs and linesman met at scorers table and made the call. As someone stated earlier they were covering their ass. LOL and blamed the linesman.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
One of the worst call ever. But refs are humans, humans make mistakes.
Did you see the "slash" that was called on Skjei right after Zibs savage boarding penalty? It may have been an even worse call.. Gave Dallas a 5 on 3. NY killed the penalty but it took away from a chance to get any offenseve flow going. NHL refs=WWE refs

Reactions: Lays

Visul

Dec 22, 2015
Yikes, some people trying to put the blame on Faksa? f*** off with that. Faksa lowered himself to maintain balance and to protect the puck as he was already engaged with Kreider. Zibanejad tries to knock him off the puck as a third man with unfortinate timing.

Nothing intentional in the play but Faksa got injured so it's either no call or five. I think it should have been a no call but I can see why the refs saw that as a borderline hit and eventually tossed Mika.

Reactions: Elysian

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Never seen an ass to shoulder check resulting in a 5 and a game before. Bad call IMO.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Zibanejad was making a hit to seal the player off and then faksa dips down to reach for the puck right at the same time zibanejad turns around to hit him. Almost nothing zib can do there. I don't think the hit could have been that hard from the look of it, but faksa just put himself in a horrendous position.

Reactions: The S5

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Just an unfortunate situation, shame people are saying it was a dive- having your head between 200 pounds and a glass wall can easily cause a concussion. Sounds like it did.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He didn't put himself there. This isn't a sudden change of position like turning into the boards to avoid being hit. He's in the process of being hit by another player while controlling the puck. He already took all the precautions he can take, now he's half-trapped and still in possession. Zibanejad could easily seal him off or pick his pocket without putting his head into the wall, and at this point it doesn't matter if he made 100% shoulder contact, Faksa has no options available to him to protect himself.

There is zero, absolutely zero reason for Zibanejad to finish that hit like that. If you ever think "I'm going to hit this guy's shoulder with my hip" you're already in the wrong, I'm trying really hard to think of a justified scenario for that and I'm coming up blank. Seized a completely avoidable opportunity to violently put his opponent into the boards, Faksa has no way to distribute the force through the rest of his body or the wall because he'd only just done that. That's a vulnerable player, perhaps even by definition.

Or maybe this is fine, and I should call the coaching staff in D.C. up tomorrow and let them know that all the team's softbodies need to do is keep people on the tee for Tom Wilson to crank at will. It's a step away from tag team wrestling and totally avoidable

You and I have VERY difference definitions of “violent” if that’s what you consider this.

This isn’t a penalty in any contact league.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't think you understand how concussions work. Speed doesn't neccesarily mean dick.
What? Such a ridiculous statement. Speed means everything. Concussions specifically are about the force of impact, which is highly affected by speed.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Zibanejad was making a hit to seal the player off and then faksa dips down to reach for the puck right at the same time zibanejad turns around to hit him. Almost nothing zib can do there. I don't think the hit could have been that hard from the look of it, but faksa just put himself in a horrendous position.
This exactly. Zib wasn't even trying to put a hit on Faksa, he was trying to seal him off. Let's face it, it was an absolutely ridiculous call. I mean, what's next, calling a penalty for cursing........................oh wait.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Why are people still bent out of shape when a hit into the boards, resulting in an injury/"injury", leads to a 5 minute major boarding penalty and a misconduct? It is regularly called, which kind of makes it hard to approach the worst call ever territory.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What? Such a ridiculous statement. Speed means everything. Concussions specifically are about the force of impact, which is highly affected by speed.

I mean... if we’re talking physics here. A key component of force is mass. A slow moving, heavy object can apply a lot of force. The other component of force isn’t speed, it’s acceleration, which is a change in velocity over time. You can actually build up a lot of acceleration without building up a lot of velocity. (ie going from zero to 1 mph in 1 second is more acceleration than going from zero to 10 mph in 20 seconds, even though 10 mph is faster).

To me, this was a deserved penalty because Zibanejad had plenty of time to not hit Faksa. I don’t think it was malicious or intentional. He just made a bad choice, but bad choices are penalty worthy.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Oof. Yeah. Im certainly no fan of the Rangers (though, I do like a couple of their players) but yea, thats a pretty soft call.

Faska also sold it, which, sure, why not draw the penalty.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
It was a hit to the head on the board and the player got injured. You'll allways get tossed for those type of hits these days. He's not getting a suspension and he shouldn't be .

Pretty much this.

It wasn't vicious, but it was dangerous because the target was pinned on the board and vulnerable, plus the hit was to the head.

Stupid hit tbh. Can you get a game misconduct for stupidity?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Hilarious how that's 5 and a game and this got Thornton nothing while back.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It was a bad call, but still unfortunate that a player got hurt. I think Zibanejad's legit concern, standing there and checking on Faska didn't do him any favors. Had the play continued, I don't know that a penalty would have been called with the refs coming together.

There was no malicious intent in that hit, and looks like shoulder more than head (with his head possibly hitting the boards). Bad timing and at least he had enough respect to acknowledge what happened and check on Faska.

Did Faska get a concussion or was he just taken into protocol? Because if they're going to call a 5 minute major on that, they were definitely taking Faska off the ice to check on him. I'm fine with a regular penalty called on that (which I still struggle to agree with), but I think a major with a game is a bit much. Missing a game should be reviewed.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It was a bad call, but still unfortunate that a player got hurt. I think Zibanejad's legit concern, standing there and checking on Faska didn't do him any favors. Had the play continued, I don't know that a penalty would have been called with the refs coming together.

There was no malicious intent in that hit, and looks like shoulder more than head (with his head possibly hitting the boards). Bad timing and at least he had enough respect to acknowledge what happened and check on Faska.

Did Faska get a concussion or was he just taken into protocol? Because if they're going to call a 5 minute major on that, they were definitely taking Faska off the ice to check on him. I'm fine with a regular penalty called on that (which I still struggle to agree with), but I think a major with a game is a bit much. Missing a game should be reviewed.

He left the game and didn't return.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Yeah that's probably not even a 2 minute penalty.

It's also probably not a dive.

It is possible to get hurt on legal plays!

Reactions: dumpin

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He left the game and didn't return.
There was slightly less than 10 minutes left in a game they were winning 1-0. I'm not saying he doesn't have a concussion or wasn't hurt, but I don't think that tells the whole story on if it was just concussion protocol or really injured.

I don't think it was a dive, either.

Update: "Montgomery said Faksa should be fine, no concussion." Sounds more like he left for concussion protocol, but perhaps he wasn't feeling well enough to get back after, or there wasn't time left.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Looks like a pretty stupid move to me and I'm a big Mika fan. Faksa was already pinned, no need to throw yourself into his upper body when he's bent over at the boards like that.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There was slightly less than 10 minutes left in a game they were winning 1-0. I'm not saying he doesn't have a concussion or wasn't hurt, but I don't think that tells the whole story on if it was just concussion protocol or really injured.

I don't think it was a dive, either.

Update: "Montgomery said Faksa should be fine, no concussion." Sounds more like he left for concussion protocol, but perhaps he wasn't feeling well enough to get back after, or there wasn't time left.

IRC Montgomery also said it was mainly the neck that got hurt and that Faksa passed protocol . Well whatever . Refs called the game really wierd last night anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad