News Article: Zetterberg to decide future later in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Given that the years remaining on Zetterbergs deal cost so little in real money, I'll bet the team won't have an issue swapping his contract for another teams bad salary that has less cap but more "real money" implications.

I would imagine if Zetterberg goes the LTIR route, the Red Wings would move either his or Franzens contract somehow, since $10M+ of eventual LTIR money is going to cut into their flexibility to make UFA/RFA signings over the summer.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm quite sure he plays this season, and then LTIRetires.

The "truth" he slipped to Swedish media last summer was, that "I probably won't play longer than 2 years."

He'll leave those 1M seasons on the table and that's it.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'm quite sure he plays this season, and then LTIRetires.

The "truth" he slipped to Swedish media last summer was, that "I probably won't play longer than 2 years."

He'll leave those 1M seasons on the table and that's it.
That's the hard truth. No sense in putting his back in further risk, especially when he's getting a massive pay cut. I appreciate what he did here and understand his likely decision, but damn it sucks.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I don't think so. I think it goes straight to Larkin. The c is a marketing tool as much as anything. The organization will be looking to sell captain larkin swag.
I agree with this a lot.

But I also think Larkin very much fits the Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Zetterberg mold too. Respectful, talented and a good locker room presence.

Larkin should get it if Z does in fact retire. There really isn’t anyone else who would get it except for someone like Abdelkader or Kronwall. Neither of which are cornerstones if the franchise.

I would like to see Mantha get ther other A once Kronner leaves. Completely changing of the guard.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
It is all but given he will be on one of our two spots of LTIR. Most likely if he does this year with Franzen. Next year just him and maybe Kronner (I forget how many more years he has). Maybe even we can eventually trade him for some type of pick to a cap floor team for a added benefit in one of his last two years.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It is all but given he will be on one of our two spots of LTIR. Most likely if he does this year with Franzen. Next year just him and maybe Kronner (I forget how many more years he has). Maybe even we can eventually trade him for some type of pick to a cap floor team for a added benefit in one of his last two years.
Kronwall is in the last year of his contract. Big E thru 19/20.

Reactions: odin1981

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Kronwall contract will end next summer.

Both Franzen and Zetterberg on LTIR at next season would mean that we have 10.04M on LTIR.

If the cap is like 82 million, the summer cap overage maximum is 10% = 8.2 million. So the only cap overage space we can't use, is 1.8M.

This is pretty much meaningless thing. Kronwall, Howard, Vanek, Nyquist gone opens 18 million, and there isn't kind of any pressure for big raises. That summer could be big UFA splash.

I think we should go full after Erik Karlsson with 12M offer, if he's then still on the table.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Kronwall contract will end next summer.

Both Franzen and Zetterberg on LTIR at next season would mean that we have 10.04M on LTIR.

If the cap is like 82 million, the summer cap overage maximum is 10% = 8.2 million. So the only cap overage space we can't use, is 1.8M.

This is pretty much meaningless thing. Kronwall, Howard, Vanek, Nyquist gone opens 18 million, and there isn't kind of any pressure for big raises. That summer could be big UFA splash.

I think we should go full after Erik Karlsson with 12M offer, if he's then still on the table.

Wouldn't surprise me either. However the question becomes would he accept a offer from us?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Is there really a limit on how many players you can put on LTIR?

Kronwall is done after 18-19., Franzen after 19-20.

I doubt a cap floor team would trade a pick for Zetterbergs contract, when they could just overpay a couple of mediocre guys on the UFA market and not have to give up anything. The Red Wings best bet would be to trade the contract for some other form of bad salary (a bad contract with a lower cap hit but more real money buried in the AHL, a bigger chunk of shorter term bad salary, etc.) from a team that doesn't plan on hitting the cap ceiling. For example, if you took the pics off the Datsyuk trade, you essentially had the Red Wings trading a big chunk of cap space that was due $0 in actual salary (Datsyuk), in exchange for a smaller cap hit that was due to be paid actual money (Joe Vitale). It would be something like that.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Is there really a limit on how many players you can put on LTIR?

Kronwall is done after 18-19., Franzen after 19-20.

I doubt a cap floor team would trade a pick for Zetterbergs contract, when they could just overpay a couple of mediocre guys on the UFA market and not have to give up anything. The Red Wings best bet would be to trade the contract for some other form of bad salary (a bad contract with a lower cap hit but more real money buried in the AHL, a bigger chunk of shorter term bad salary, etc.) from a team that doesn't plan on hitting the cap ceiling. For example, if you took the pics off the Datsyuk trade, you essentially had the Red Wings trading a big chunk of cap space that was due $0 in actual salary (Datsyuk), in exchange for a smaller cap hit that was due to be paid actual money (Joe Vitale). It would be something like that.

From what I read on the last CBA it was 2 players. Maybe I am wrong and it has been a few years since I read it but that is what I remember. I wouldn't expect a great pick (first 3 rounds) but maybe we can get a Hakan special (6th or 7th rounder most likely).

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The issue with that is a team would rather pay Z 1 mil of actual money a season with his cap hit putting them over the floor, rather than paying extra real money to make the cap floor.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If wings have Zadina or Russ playing full time they need mentor . There's no better mentor in this team than Zetterberg but if they don't bring kids I d rather him to go

Roy S

May 16, 2009
It kind of sounds like Zetterberg is done.

Maybe the Wings aren't intentionally trying to tank, but they are going to be a really bad team again unless a lot of the young guys make huge leaps in performance. Zetterberg leaving would make them quite a bit worse too if that is what happens.

I wish Green was only a 1 year deal, but I don't think he and Vanek are bad signings. In some ways, barring injuries to them, the Wings are paying for future draft picks given that both players could be traded at a trade deadline in the future. I suspect Nyquist will be traded this coming deadline as well.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Yes some of the recent chatter is starting to make me think its less than 50% chance Z is returning this season. Along with the signing of Vanek and the talk about us going after Filpula, it starts to make a little more sense if Z is less than healthy atm.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Is it more likely that they just put him on LTIR for three years straight or would they just put on a show where for the next three seasons he plays for 10-30 games and then gets put on LTIR?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Kronwall's contract is up after this season, thank goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad