Zetterberg Out of Olympics/Indefinitely

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
It's possible, but everything is possible. Nothing is certain or guaranteed at this point, so can we stop acting like Zetterberg is done for?

Well honestly, what are the options? He does nothing and misses the rest of the season, or he gets surgery and misses the rest of the season. No one's saying he's done for, he's going to be back eventually. At this point it just seems like it's most likely that it won't be until next season.

Honestly whether or not he comes back for the rest of the season isn't what is most important to me, it would be fantastic for the team to have him back but he's really badly injured and if having to wait until next year to play again is what he needs to do to get better then that's what he should do.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That goes against the spirit of sports.

You want to see what happens when an organization allows itself to be infected by this type of thinking? Look no further than the Oilers. I still remember that gluttonous smile on Tambellini's face when they got their 3rd straight 1st overall pick. And where has it gotten them? A half decade of 1st overall and top 5 picks and they're still in the basement. That type of thinking is a disease in a sports organization.

This team should compete the best it can, injuries or not. No need to lose this organization's soul and integrity for the sake of 1 high pick. Besides, the prospect cupboard is plenty good as it is.

Could end up like the Oilers... or could get a high pick or two and turn right around like the Hawks or Penguins.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I feel for Z. He's our leader, but c'mon, there's still a chance he could feel better. Let's hope for the best!

If he continues to be in pain, then so be it, I would encourage him to go through surgery and have him heal up. Like Flashy said, if Pavel continues to improve, we could be in alright shape. At least we'll go down with a fighting chance.

No way would I want to see this team tank.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
How exactly could this Wings team 'tank'? You mean operating like we have been the entire season? The only way this team could truly tank is to send down Jurco, Sheahan, DeKeyser etc... and replace them with Samuelsson, Cleary, Bertuzzi. If you want to do that, I don't know what you're hoping the outcome will be.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
How exactly could this Wings team 'tank'? You mean operating like we have been the entire season? The only way this team could truly tank is to send down Jurco, Sheahan, DeKeyser etc... and replace them with Samuelsson, Cleary, Bertuzzi. If you want to do that, I don't know what you're hoping the outcome will be.

Try to trade Datsyuk. It makes hockey sense. The Wings aren't likely to win a Cup within Datsyuk's career range and a trade could yield some returns making a rebuild easier. In any event it would make the team worse and yield higher draft picks while also saving money.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Try to trade Datsyuk. It makes hockey sense. The Wings aren't likely to win a Cup within Datsyuk's career range and a trade could yield some returns making a rebuild easier. In any event it would make the team worse and yield higher draft picks while also saving money.
HFboards at its finest.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi

What a hilarious joke, tell us some more.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Given he has a NTC it would be a difficult proposition for sure, but there is a simple reality here: Datsyuk turns 36 in the off-season, he is injury-prone. He is expensive but he could make a difference for a club trying to win a Cup and would almost certainly draw considerable interest.

Once you realize that any hope of a Cup the next three-four years is a mirage, it makes perfect sense.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
tumblr_n1217ugAXE1qzqd1to1_500.jpg

What a wonderful and respectful time for a pun.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Given he has a NTC it would be a difficult proposition for sure, but there is a simple reality here: Datsyuk turns 36 in the off-season, he is injury-prone. He is expensive but he could make a difference for a club trying to win a Cup and would almost certainly draw considerable interest.

Once you realize that any hope of a Cup the next three-four years is a mirage, it makes perfect sense.
Datsyuk will just go to Russia if we try to trade him.

Frozen Fiend

DOUBLE D
Oct 22, 2007
Kalamazoo
Hell would freeze over before this team trades Datsyuk, as it should.

We have how many young forwards that can learn SO MUCH from just doing the day to day with Pasha. It's what Yzerman, Shanny and company did for Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
That's the assumption and obviously that would moot the plan but do we know this for a fact? Would he rather play out his career on a so-and-so Wings team than go for another Cup? I don't think he understands himself to be a Wings mascot.

Didn't he say he was going back to russia after his time with the wings? He does want to finish out his career there and I just don't see him wanting to be on another team until then.

The point is it would never, ever happen. Everyone with anything to do with this organization as well as the fans would fight tooth and nail to keep him here.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Assuming Z and Franzen are done for the year, I think you could see something like this:

Nyquist-Pavel-Alfie
Abdelkader-Weiss-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Glendening
Jurco-Sheahan-Andersson

Or, maybe Eaves would slot in for one of Glendening or Andersson. The actual lines may vary, but the top 2 lines will consist of Pavel, Weiss, Alfie, Tatar, Nyquist and Abdelkader. Helm, Miller, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening and Andersson will fill out the lower lines.

Even with that lineup, I think they could still make the playoffs and the kids would still get a lot of opportunity. They've played without most of their top 6 for a large portion of the year and they are still in a playoff spot as it is anyway. So, as long as Datsyuk stays healthy and Weiss steps up, then I think they have a reasonable chance to stay there.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

:help:

Please tell me how trading a guy who is still one of the top 5 players in the world but won't return anywhere near that value is a good hockey move.

There is no realistic combination of players that would be traded for Pavel Datsyuk that would make the Detroit Red Wings a better team.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Datsyuk has a NTC and he already said that he wont waive it, He would retire before he would play for another team, That came out of his own mouth. So trading him not an option.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Datsyuk will just go to Russia if we try to trade him.

I remember having an argument about this with someone before Datsyuk re-signed and I asked them for proof and the best they could come up with was a quote from his agent saying he wasn't planning on signing with any other team(which is not even remotely the same thing as saying he would run away to Russia if he was traded)

has there actually been a new quote since then or are people just reading way too much into things again?

although as always the idea of trading Datsyuk is silly anyways

Datsyuk has a NTC and he already said that he wont waive it, He would retire before he would play for another team, That came out of his own mouth. So trading him not an option.

post the quote then

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I remember having an argument about this with someone before Datsyuk re-signed and I asked them for proof and the best they could come up with was a quote from his agent saying he wasn't planning on signing with any other team(which is not even remotely the same thing as saying he would run away to Russia if he was traded)

has there actually been a new quote since then or are people just reading way too much into things again?

although as always the idea of trading Datsyuk is silly anyways

post the quote then

It was In last years paper, Last summer both Datsyuk and his agent said that Datsyuk would only play for Detroit or he would go home to Russia If he were asked for a trade It's dumb because Dats will never be trade In a million years any ways

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
It was In last years paper, Last summer both Datsyuk and his agent said that Datsyuk would only play for Detroit or he would go home to Russia If he were asked for a trade It's dumb because Dats will never be trade In a million years any ways
It's all good. It's nice to see these guys retire Wings. The void can't be understated, we lose asset value...but it's better than losing them to free agency years earlier. I don't get mad at the idea of trading Datsyuk, though. I think the thing I least want to see is doing nothing.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
It's crazy to even consider trading Datsyuk. He one of the top 10 players in the NHL right now. Beyond that having top tier athletes positively affects our youth. Not only do they help show the riggers of playoff hockey and how to adapt to younger players, the younger players also benefit from practicing and traveling with players such his Datsyuk and Z. Continually practicing and training against top tier players is what helps continue competitive nature.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'm repulsed at anyone using the word 'tank' for the rest of this season. They're in playoff position when they resume and yes, it's quite possible they can fall out of contention and the streak may come to an end. But wouldn't we want to see the kids grow up and pick up for their fallen captain?

When did we become the Oilers? What's a lottery pick worth to us...especially when we have to wait a few years to see these kids make the show anyway. How many prospects have made the Wings under the age of 20 or 21? The guys in this uniform matter more right now and some of those are guys many of us have wanted to see play. Now we want to just throw the season away because they might miss the playoffs?

I can't disagree more with the motivation to fail. I'd feel different is this was a team that has been riding the old war horses...but this team is in contention with Bertuzzi and Cleary in the press box and Samuelsson in the AHL. If this team is going to succeed going forward, you'll want the Nyquists and Tatars to deliver this time of year. The reason why you have a streak like this...you bring these young players up in a winning environment.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
:help:

Please tell me how trading a guy who is still one of the top 5 players in the world but won't return anywhere near that value is a good hockey move.

There is no realistic combination of players that would be traded for Pavel Datsyuk that would make the Detroit Red Wings a better team.

The point wouldn' be to make the Wings a better team in the short run. The point is to concentrate resources toward a new young team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad