Zetterberg Out of Olympics/Indefinitely

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Rest Z and D until they are truly 100%, ride out the kids and depth for the rest of the year, really see what we've got. No point rushing these guys or forcing them to play at 75% in a season like this.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I know people have said nobody wants our garbage, but we need to be sellers. If we can find any interest in Quincey or Kindl and other parts that are not in our immediate future we need to do it. If we still make the playoffs with a heavily laden youth team great, but we shouldn't care about that, feel bad for Alfie but he can likely back next year if he wants.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Rest Z and D until they are truly 100%, ride out the kids and depth for the rest of the year, really see what we've got. No point rushing these guys or forcing them to play at 75% in a season like this.

Yeah, I mean even if we ride Z/D at less than 100% and make the playoffs, that's not exactly good for our chances at the Cup this year and it damages the long term health of the players for future years. We're not making a deep run without those two healthy. Period. I'd rather just play the kids, if we make it, awesome, if we don't, we take a run at it next year with Z/D having gotten whatever they need to rehabilitate themselves into hockey form.

I think in terms of forwards we're set. We got strong depth up and down the lineup and our roster should be pretty set for next year even.

I'm more interested in seeing the defensive guys. The forward prospects have turned out spectacularly. Pretty much all of them. Would Ouellet, Marchenko, perhaps Almqvist be just as impressive? They had a couple of games this year and didn't look bad to me. It seems obvious now that Kindl doesn't figure into our future and that Q should be gone, unless he takes a big paycut. If one or two of our kids on the back end shape up to be as good (or better?!) than Kindl/Q/Lashoff, that would be fantastic.

Perd Hapley

Ya Heard With Perd
Jul 9, 2010
I know people have said nobody wants our garbage, but we need to be sellers. If we can find any interest in Quincey or Kindl and other parts that are not in our immediate future we need to do it. If we still make the playoffs with a heavily laden youth team great, but we shouldn't care about that, feel bad for Alfie but he can likely back next year if he wants.

In theory it would be great to get Marchenko or Almquist up the rest of the year and get a good look at Callahan, Ferraro, or Pulkkinen but who do we have that could realistically be used as trade bait with so many teams against the cap? If we're talking about older roster players we already know teams aren't interested in Eaves, Samuelsson, etc. and I can't imagine a team taking Quincey at this point.

So we're left with Andersson, Kindl, Lashoff, and Miller? I'd rather not trade Andy but the other three are probably our only available roster players with any value. I guess if Alfie wants a trade to a contender we could probably work out a deal and get a decent return to give Pulkkinen a chance to run with that spot.

I'm really hoping Holland doesn't make a trade out of being desperate to keep the playoff streak alive involving any of the top prospects. We should be waiting until the offseason for shakeup, nothing big at the deadline because we really have no chance at the cup until Datsyuk and Zetterberg have an offseason to hopefully get healthy.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'd rather not trade Andy but the other three are probably our only available roster players with any value.

I'd much rather trade Andy than Miller at least.

He's not much good unless he's player center. Way too slow to be on the wing. And he produces next to nothing.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
In theory it would be great to get Marchenko or Almquist up the rest of the year and get a good look at Callahan, Ferraro, or Pulkkinen but who do we have that could realistically be used as trade bait with so many teams against the cap? If we're talking about older roster players we already know teams aren't interested in Eaves, Samuelsson, etc. and I can't imagine a team taking Quincey at this point.

So we're left with Andersson, Kindl, Lashoff, and Miller? I'd rather not trade Andy but the other three are probably our only available roster players with any value. I guess if Alfie wants a trade to a contender we could probably work out a deal and get a decent return to give Pulkkinen a chance to run with that spot.

I'm really hoping Holland doesn't make a trade out of being desperate to keep the playoff streak alive involving any of the top prospects. We should be waiting until the offseason for shakeup, nothing big at the deadline because we really have no chance at the cup until Datsyuk and Zetterberg have an offseason to hopefully get healthy.

I think guys like Eaves, Miller, Quincey, and Tootoo gain value as we come to the deadline. Teams might have some nagging injuries, they'll want to get some extra depth for a playoff run, etc. we've done it plenty of times in the past. It wouldn't surprise me if we can deal one or two off for picks.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Yeah, I mean even if we ride Z/D at less than 100% and make the playoffs, that's not exactly good for our chances at the Cup this year and it damages the long term health of the players for future years. We're not making a deep run without those two healthy. Period. I'd rather just play the kids, if we make it, awesome, if we don't, we take a run at it next year with Z/D having gotten whatever they need to rehabilitate themselves into hockey form.

I think in terms of forwards we're set. We got strong depth up and down the lineup and our roster should be pretty set for next year even.

I'm more interested in seeing the defensive guys. The forward prospects have turned out spectacularly. Pretty much all of them. Would Ouellet, Marchenko, perhaps Almqvist be just as impressive? They had a couple of games this year and didn't look bad to me. It seems obvious now that Kindl doesn't figure into our future and that Q should be gone, unless he takes a big paycut. If one or two of our kids on the back end shape up to be as good (or better?!) than Kindl/Q/Lashoff, that would be fantastic.

I'm right there with you. Get Z under the knife ASAP and recuperating so he can be back to 100% by next season ideally. Let Dats really take his time to get to his normal self. Let guys like Sheahan, Ferraro, Almqvist get a real taste for the NHL, see if they can hack it. We know Sheahan looks ready, but the other two haven't got a ton of opportunity yet. Give the others a chance as well like you mentioned.

And then assess the situation like TZE said. If we don't plan on re-signing Quincey and we slide down the standings, why hang on to him? Get a mid or late pick for him if we can. If Kindl isn't a Babcock kinda guy and we can move him or package him for something, maybe take a long look at a move like that. No need to have a huge clutter of players for "depth" if we aren't going to be playing past early April.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi

Weren't the bruins interested in him? What ever happened with that?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Kindl and Andersson are expendable.

In Kindl's case, it's hard to imagine his 11 points in 50 games (-11) aren't at least matched (or improved on) by Almquist or Marchenko.

As for Andersson, he plays his role well but Sheahan is capable of doing it just as well right now (with much more potential for improvement). Glendening is also capable.

Are any teams lacking in grit or physicality? With just over a year left on Tootoo's deal and the cap likely going up a lot he could possibly be unloaded if Holland is aggressive enough.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I am sad z is my favorite player he is the driver of the bus to me always has been.

I think is a lot of new technology so do not believe he is done. If has to have surgery he will come back. Might take some time but that is what it is. I am also like others dont think can tank enough to matter so bring up the kids tons of them give some games try to get last spot.

Will say z d and mule all out dont like our chances. Like the kids though exciting again:)

So win lose draw is ok will work out. Get rid of bodies next year go from there.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Is Z in Sochi? Is he heading to Detroit or Sweden?

He's coming back to Detroit to get his back looked at and see what the options are, but I don't believe he's left yet. They're waiting for a reduction in the pain and inflammation before they throw him on a long flight across the pond.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'd much rather trade Andy than Miller at least.

He's not much good unless he's player center. Way too slow to be on the wing. And he produces next to nothing.

I much rather keep the young center who can take faceoffs around, who saves us about $500k on the cap. That's a better press box investment if it comes to that. Miller himself produces next to nothing and is not a prototypical 4th liner.

Not sure why we are so afraid to cut a guy who'll likely only go down from here, he's been outplayed by every kid we've brought up. Right now I peg him as our 12th forward probably. Miller is the definition of expendable in my book going forward, if we want to make room for youth and talent.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I much rather keep the young center who can take faceoffs around, who saves us about $500k on the cap. That's a better press box investment if it comes to that. Miller himself produces next to nothing and is not a prototypical 4th liner.

Not sure why we are so afraid to cut a guy who'll likely only go down from here, he's been outplayed by every kid we've brought up. Right now I peg him as our 12th forward probably. Miller is the definition of expendable in my book going forward, if we want to make room for youth and talent.

Andy is slow. But Miller is definitely expendable.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Sounds like he's done for the year...

Tank tank tank... get ourselves a good draft pick, tbh....

tommy-lee-jones-implied-face-palm.png

Unless you have sources inside the organization, there have been absolutely NO REPORT saying that Zetterberg is done for the season. All this is is baseless speculation and non stop DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM and Glooming. Sometimes I get the feeling people here want to be miserable.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Unless you have sources inside the organization, there have been absolutely NO REPORT saying that Zetterberg is done for the season. All this is is baseless speculation and non stop DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM and Glooming. Sometimes I get the feeling people here want to be miserable.

Sweden's team doctor did speculate that his season may be over, but even without him I don't think the Wings should or would ever consider tanking.

They'll still try to keep the streak alive, and if Datsyuk plays like he did today I think they will.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi

Dan Rosen @drosennhl
Sweden doctor Bjorn Waldeback says if Henrik Zetterberg's back stays the way it is now he will be out for the rest of the season.

Definitely not baseless speculation.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I think 6th overall is the maximum we could get. Buffalo, Florida, Islanders, Calgary and Edmonton are just so much worse.

But that 6th worst position, that's not far away. Only 4 points in the standings.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Dan Rosen @drosennhl
Sweden doctor Bjorn Waldeback says if Henrik Zetterberg's back stays the way it is now he will be out for the rest of the season.

Definitely not baseless speculation.

It's possible, but everything is possible. Nothing is certain or guaranteed at this point, so can we stop acting like Zetterberg is done for?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Sounds like he's done for the year...

That goes against the spirit of sports.

You want to see what happens when an organization allows itself to be infected by this type of thinking? Look no further than the Oilers. I still remember that gluttonous smile on Tambellini's face when they got their 3rd straight 1st overall pick. And where has it gotten them? A half decade of 1st overall and top 5 picks and they're still in the basement. That type of thinking is a disease in a sports organization.

This team should compete the best it can, injuries or not. No need to lose this organization's soul and integrity for the sake of 1 high pick. Besides, the prospect cupboard is plenty good as it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad