GDT: Zero effort GDT: NJ@BOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
But honestly, Cory wasnt bad. The actual score of last night's game probably should have been 6-2 Boston.

I thought he looked better last night than the previous game. He let in a weak goal early in the 3rd against Philly and then let out a very poor rebound 30 seconds later.

I thought he had no chance on any of the goals scored last night.

The PP is like 0 for 16 or something now. There was a stat last night that we had spent 29 minutes on the PP this season and haven't scored a goal. I think we had one or two more PP's even after that.

Kowalsky is not for the NHL, nor do I think he was even for the AHL.

Thanks guys for the rundown. Special teams is gonna doom this season, it's unfathomable.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
I thought he looked better last night than the previous game. He let in a weak goal early in the 3rd against Philly and then let out a very poor rebound 30 seconds later.

The PP is like 0 for 16 or something now. There was a stat last night that we had spent 29 minutes on the PP this season and haven't scored a goal. I think we had one or two more PP's even after that.

I know Albany/Bing never really had strong rosters but it’s not like they ever really overachieved either save for maybe one season. I don’t get how tricky dick’s leash is so long with the org.

Reactions: Bleedred

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
But honestly, Cory wasnt bad. The actual score of last night's game probably should have been 6-2 Boston.

Eh Boston should not have scored 6 goals last night. They scored about what their expected goals should have been. Besides a Marchand breakaway in the third there weren’t many bruins chances. Cory was above average but not great like rask.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know Albany/Bing never really had strong rosters but it’s not like they ever really overachieved either save for maybe one season. I don’t get how tricky dick’s leash is so long with the org.
Tricky Dick should be over in Bridgeport, with the rest of the castaways. Lamoriello. Jr and Terreri are already over there.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Eh Boston should not have scored 6 goals last night. They scored about what their expected goals should have been. Besides a Marchand breakaway in the third there weren’t many bruins chances. Cory was above average but not great like rask.

I think your analysis is very homerish. Entire stretches of that game felt like, "Bruins chances". The game was not as close as 3-0 would indicate (not that that's "close").

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I think your analysis is very homerish. Entire stretches of that game felt like, "Bruins chances". The game was not as close as 3-0 would indicate (not that that's "close").

Eh not after the first period. I thought the devils played better 5v5 from the start of the second. But we all perceive things differently. I think if the bruins scored 6 it would be because of a lousy goalie performance.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

We are 0/15 with 27:48 of PP time according to NHL.com

50% on the pk is what really scares me

Reactions: Tretyak 20

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Eh not after the first period. I thought the devils played better 5v5 from the start of the second. But we all perceive things differently. I think if the bruins scored 6 it would be because of a lousy goalie performance.

The only reason it looked like the Devil's might be carrying play for stretches in the second or third, imo, is because the bruins knew they had the game. They completely stopped playing which is scary because they were only playing maybe 75% in the first and freaking dominated.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We are 0/15 with 27:48 of PP time according to NHL.com

50% on the pk is what really scares me
The stat i saw was from a Todd Cordell tweet. But that’s still astronomically bad.

I do think the PK will eventually get better, but not the power play. It will score a goal eventually, but I don’t see much improvement happening.

KK91

Jan 7, 2009
I don’t believe Devils can be this bad. It sill be interesting to see what adjustments the Team makes over the next couple of games.

I thought Miles Wood was your best player last night. The rest of the team needs to take notes and grind like that guy!

Final thoughts I have not been impressed with Simmonds and think he is not the guy to play with Hughes. I get it you want to protect your prodigy however he lacks the skill imo. It will be interesting to see how they will get Hughes going.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don’t believe Devils can be this bad. It sill be interesting to see what adjustments the Team makes over the next couple of games.

I thought Miles Wood was your best player last night. The rest of the team needs to take notes and grind like that guy!

Final thoughts I have not been impressed with Simmonds and think he is not the guy to play with Hughes. I get it you want to protect your prodigy however he lacks the skill imo. It will be interesting to see how they will get Hughes going.

Wood is a fine 4th liner, but I really don't want anyone else on the team playing like him.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Anyone have our bad PP stretch from last year stat. I remember at one point we were ridiculously bad as well and I wonder how it compares

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Yeah I can't remember but this stretch reminded me of the same thing. Could swear we had an even worse scoreless stretch with power plays last year at some point.

If so, reinforces the notion that some coach(es) should be out of a job already.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
The only reason it looked like the Devil's might be carrying play for stretches in the second or third, imo, is because the bruins knew they had they game. They completely stopped playing which is scary because they were only playing maybe 75% in the first and freaking dominated.

Agreed. I think the Bruins could have scored 6 but only if the Devils potted a few goals.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The PP has had some very good oppurtunities. Hall getting robbed by Hart. Gusev had a great op last night.

Little too cute at times, over passing when they should just shoot it, but I can see the potential there.

The PK? We all know it was very good last year, but that was with Greene and Lovejoy anchoring the back end for much of the year. I know many fans have little respect for pk dmen, or defensive dmen for that matter, but we are seeing how much a poor pk can hinder a team.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The PP has had some very good oppurtunities. Hall getting robbed by Hart. Gusev had a great op last night.

Little too cute at times, over passing when they should just shoot it, but I can see the potential there.

The PK? We all know it was very good last year, but that was with Greene and Lovejoy anchoring the back end for much of the year. I know many fans have little respect for pk dmen, or defensive dmen for that matter, but we are seeing how much a poor pk can hinder a team.

The problem with the PK is they get into way too small a box. They don't cover enough passing lanes. And teams can move the puck around freely before choosing a shot.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Wood is a fine 4th liner, but I really don't want anyone else on the team playing like him.
He's actually been pretty good as a 3rd liner with Zajac and Coleman.

And this team could certainly use more guys playing with his energy. Don't want his lack of discipline, but there are certainly elements to his game that I would like to see others adopt.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The problem with the PK is they get into way too small a box. They don't cover enough passing lanes. And teams can move the puck around freely before choosing a shot.
Do we think this has changed from last year?

Edit: I'd also think a tighter box would clog the cross ice passing lanes in the high danger areas. Sure it allows the puck to move around the perimeter, would certainly give the point men more room, but has that been our issue?

Last edited:

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I'd take Scotty as assistant in charge of defense/pk in one hot minute, but I wouldn't put him in the precarious position of taking the helm of this tire fire right now. I wouldn't want any former players we hold in high regard in a position to draw the ire of fans if things don't pan out.

That said, I have no doubts he could help our defense. We'll probably end up with a retread as HC if we can these clowns. There don't appear to be many good choices for a replacement, all I know is I'm weary of this group we've got.

If they lose the next two at home, that should be it. I'll be there Thursday, could get real ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad