Zemgus leading NHL All-Star fan vote!! (ZEMGUS RAP VIDEO Post #118)

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I mean...it's just another part of warmups/practice. Kinda funny to be paranoid that soccer is some uber dangerous sport to play before playing, ya know, HOCKEY. :laugh:

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
I mean...it's just another part of warmups/practice. Kinda funny to be paranoid that soccer is some uber dangerous sport to play before playing, ya know, HOCKEY. :laugh:

in fact statistically across america, Soccer results in the largest number of injuries. mainly because it can be played anywhere and all kids need is a ball and a spot to shoot at.

I'm not saying it's some grotesquely dangerous activity, it's just that before a game I'd prefer they didn't.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
So you know how most players take it easy and play pond hockey at the all-star game? I'm not so sure Girgensons speaks that language. I think Tarasenko should keep his head on a swivel.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
in fact statistically across america, Soccer results in the largest number of injuries. mainly because it can be played anywhere and all kids need is a ball and a spot to shoot at.

I'm not saying it's some grotesquely dangerous activity, it's just that before a game I'd prefer they didn't.

Not sure how that stat is relevant since they are not in fact playing soccer. They are kicking a ball around.

Soccer is also not statistically at the top of the injury pile in either total number of injuries or per capita

DrStrangelife

Dec 14, 2011
Rīga

Right, however I'm also worried about them going outside the arena. I'd rather all players, or at least all our top players were to sleep at First Niagara Center. A lot of **** and injuries could befall them on their way home, when they are out shopping or when they're on their way back to the arena.

Water is really dangerous too, maybe water wings in pools and baths for all players? Also all solid foods really worry me. A chocking hazard waiting to happen. But yeah, kicking a soccer ball right before the game, really takes the cake. No idea what the players were thinking.. :shakehead

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Not sure how that stat is relevant since they are not in fact playing soccer. They are kicking a ball around.

Soccer is also not statistically at the top of the injury pile in either total number of injuries or per capita

Soccer has a higher injury rate than many contact/collision sports such as field hockey, rugby, basketball, and football, although in 1 community study of 7- to 13 year-old players, football did have a higher percentage of serious injuries and higher frequency of injury per team per season

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/125/2/410.full

Albeit that statistic is in children. Obviously these are grown men and can do what they want. But do you want someone rolling an ankle or hurting themselves by some stupid accident that could have been entirely avoidable? This concern is clearly not without warrant, seeing as just this past season, Mark Borowiecki was injured messing around playing soccer before a game. These are grown men being paid to play hockey. I don't see how it's ridiculous to think that not playing soccer before games is a good idea. Athletes have a number of things they cannot do contractually. It is not a wild over reach in power to say, "hey, knock off the pregame soccer." they'll live. Again, they're being paid to play hockey. not Soccer

Right, however I'm also worried about them going outside the arena. I'd rather all players, or at least all our top players were to sleep at First Niagara Center. A lot of **** and injuries could befall them on their way home, when they are out shopping or when they're on their way back to the arena.

Water is really dangerous too, maybe water wings in pools and baths for all players? Also all solid foods really worry me. A chocking hazard waiting to happen. But yeah, kicking a soccer ball right before the game, really takes the cake. No idea what the players were thinking.. :shakehead

I don't see how it's ridiculous to think that not playing soccer before games is a good idea. Athletes have a number of things they cannot do contractually. It is not a wild over reach in power to say, "hey, knock off the pregame soccer." they'll live. Again, they're being paid to play hockey. not Soccer

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Albeit that statistic is in children. Obviously these are grown men and can do what they want. But do you want someone rolling an ankle or hurting themselves by some stupid accident that could have been entirely avoidable? This concern is clearly not without warrant, seeing as just this past season, Mark Borowiecki was injured messing around playing soccer before a game. These are grown men being paid to play hockey. I don't see how it's ridiculous to think that not playing soccer before games is a good idea.

That data is irrelevant. It's like comparing injuries from hockey games to injuries from doing Sonny Milano-esque puck tricks in shoes. A clearer example would be comparing basketball injuries to injuries from doing a shootaround.

One person gets injured kicking the ball around and now it's an issue? A lot more players have been injured during warm-ups and practice, because they're more dangerous.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
That data is irrelevant. It's like comparing injuries from hockey games to injuries from doing Sonny Milano-esque puck tricks in shoes. A clearer example would be comparing basketball injuries to injuries from doing a shootaround.

One person gets injured kicking the ball around and now it's an issue? A lot more players have been injured during warm-ups and practice, because they're more dangerous.

I am fairly certain i remember this soccer coming up with the Sabres back in the late 90s. I couldn't find the article, but if my memory serves, something to do with Zhitnik and a couple other guys, and someone got hurt?

Anyway, only point im trying to make is that I don't think it's out of line to assume that professional athletes that are being paid to perform, not take unnecessary risks. no matter how trivial they may seem to some.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
It's just a fun way to warm-up. Your opening up your hips, keeping a light mood, interacting with the boys, eye-coordination. Some of the things mentioned earlier are just ridiculous.

Might as well have them walk round in bubble wrap.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Albeit that statistic is in children. Obviously these are grown men and can do what they want. But do you want someone rolling an ankle or hurting themselves by some stupid accident that could have been entirely avoidable? This concern is clearly not without warrant, seeing as just this past season, Mark Borowiecki was injured messing around playing soccer before a game. These are grown men being paid to play hockey. I don't see how it's ridiculous to think that not playing soccer before games is a good idea. Athletes have a number of things they cannot do contractually. It is not a wild over reach in power to say, "hey, knock off the pregame soccer." they'll live. Again, they're being paid to play hockey. not Soccer

I don't see how it's ridiculous to think that not playing soccer before games is a good idea. Athletes have a number of things they cannot do contractually. It is not a wild over reach in power to say, "hey, knock off the pregame soccer." they'll live. Again, they're being paid to play hockey. not Soccer

I didn't say there was anything wrong with not wanting the players do it. I said your stat argument is pointless and irrelevant. What happens to kids ages 7-13 playing the game of soccer has absolutely nothing to do with full grown men playing hacky sack with a soccer ball

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
It's just a fun way to warm-up. Your opening up your hips, keeping a light mood, interacting with the boys, eye-coordination. Some of the things mentioned earlier are just ridiculous.

Might as well have them walk round in bubble wrap.

I don't quite understand why some seem adamantly against stopping the soccer BEFORE games. What is the big deal? Warm up and stretch out some other way, I Don't care. The boys are being paid, they are professionals, do the job. If I was doing something before work that could possibly result in me not being able to do said job, my boss would make me stop. This is professional sports. IT's a JOB. Do the job. Saying we might as well have them in bubble wrap is overly dramatic and simplistic. That's not what i am saying.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
I didn't say there was anything wrong with not wanting the players do it. I said your stat argument is pointless and irrelevant. What happens to kids ages 7-13 playing the game of soccer has absolutely nothing to do with full grown men playing hacky sack with a soccer ball

obviously there is a difference between grown men and 7-13, but that doesn't mitigate any injury risk to the players is all I meant by the stat.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't quite understand why some seem adamantly against stopping the soccer BEFORE games. What is the big deal? Warm up and stretch out some other way, I Don't care. The boys are being paid, they are professionals, do the job. If I was doing something before work that could possibly result in me not being able to do said job, my boss would make me stop. This is professional sports. IT's a JOB. Do the job. Saying we might as well have them in bubble wrap is overly dramatic and simplistic. That's not what i am saying.

There is simply no problem with it. A few injuries over the course of NHL history do not indicate actual risk. Why do you emphasize "BEFORE"? Doing it before a game isn't any riskier than doing it any other time. Warming up and stretching out some other way carries the same risk. That's what you're not getting. You link some statistics about the sport of soccer which have nothing to do with kicking a ball around and conclude that it's somehow some high-risk pregame activity.

What you say about your boss is b.s. The NHL is far stricter with its players than your boss is with you so it's pretty ridiculous to act like your boss would stop you from taking some risk the NHL lets its players get away with.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
There is simply no problem with it. A few injuries over the course of NHL history do not indicate actual risk. Why do you emphasize "BEFORE"? Doing it before a game isn't any riskier than doing it any other time. Warming up and stretching out some other way carries the same risk. That's what you're not getting. You link some statistics about the sport of soccer which have nothing to do with kicking a ball around and conclude that it's somehow some high-risk pregame activity.

What you say about your boss is b.s. The NHL is far stricter with its players than your boss is with you so it's pretty ridiculous to act like your boss would stop you from taking some risk the NHL lets its players get away with.

If i were acting recklessly and did something resulted in my being unable to work, i'd get in trouble. Much like most everyone else I'd imagine. I'm not sure how that wouldn't correlate to a professional athlete taking risks with their body which could possibly result in injury. and it's clearly not just kicking a ball around. Zemgus tried a volley there and landed on his back. one slip or just landing awkwardly could have resulted in an injury. How does a player suffer moderate to serious lacerations on his leg that resulted in him being unable to play for a period of time from just kicking a ball around?

what is the big fuss about simply not allowing that? I emphasized before the game because clearly no one would be able to keep tabs on the players beyond the arena. But in a closed environment (before a game) i don't see how that wouldn't be acceptable.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If i were acting recklessly and did something resulted in my being unable to work, i'd get in trouble. Much like most everyone else I'd imagine. I'm not sure how that wouldn't correlate to a professional athlete taking risks with their body which could possibly result in injury. and it's clearly not just kicking a ball around. Zemgus tried a volley there and landed on his back. one slip or just landing awkwardly could have resulted in an injury. How does a player suffer moderate to serious lacerations on his leg that resulted in him being unable to play for a period of time from just kicking a ball around?

what is the big fuss about simply not allowing that? I emphasized before the game because clearly no one would be able to keep tabs on the players beyond the arena. But in a closed environment (before a game) i don't see how that wouldn't be acceptable.

First off, they aren't acting recklessly. They are actually prevented, contractually, from reckless behaviors in a way I'm sure you actually aren't, which is why it's silly to act like they get away with reckless behaviors you wouldn't.

Why don't they correlate? Well, because soccer is a collision sport and kicking a ball around is kicking a ball around. If you bother to look at the article you linked you'll see that concussions make up a large part of soccer injuries. How do those happen? Player collisions. Are there player collisions in a kick around? No. Like I said in the first response, it's like saying shooting hoops is dangerous because of basketball injury data.

Players can get injured doing pretty much anything. Someone (Ryan Malone?) was injured a year or two ago by his mattress. Athletes get injured shoveling their driveways. Athletes get injured in the gym. They get injured in practice. They get injured stretching before games. They get injured by pucks during shootarounds. Things just happen. There is no information to indicate that kicking a soccer ball around is risky. There is no information to indicate that the tiny chance of a minor injury outweighs the benefit of players focusing and loosening up the way they have their whole lives.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
:laugh: this is a real conversation? My god. Every high level hockey team I've ever been around juggles a ball before games.

Rob's obviously right. I've played soccer my entire life; soccer and juggling/kicking a ball around are not the same thing at all. One has contact without any significant padding and the other doesn't.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
Wow I did not expect to see an argument about how juggling before soccer games can be dangerous in a Zemgus Girgensons thread. This is great! :laugh:

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Wow I did not expect to see an argument about how juggling before soccer games can be dangerous in a Zemgus Girgensons thread. This is great! :laugh:
The man could juggle flaming chainsaws before games and I'd still worry more about the chainsaws.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
that break away challenge was the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Then it gets decided on a twitter vote. Why bother having a goalie in the nets, they didn't try to stop anything and they bailed when given the opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad