Player Discussion Zemgus Girgensons

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Both Murray and Bylsma made it pretty clear they are looking to take it slow and build with the youth so I'm not sure how crazy they'll get trading for veterans. Murray always mentions 24 and under as the trade targets, a la ROR. I think if they add an older player it's either a signing or a low-cost acquisition like Gorges was.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Both Murray and Bylsma made it pretty clear they are looking to take it slow and build with the youth so I'm not sure how crazy they'll get trading for veterans. Murray always mentions 24 and under as the trade targets, a la ROR. I think if they add an older player it's either a signing or a low-cost acquisition like Gorges was.

If vets come in I was thinking fa, sekera, ehroff, vermette types. Trades would be young guys, I'm sure, which I might not have been clear on.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Pretty sure Bylsma and TM agreed that they weren't looking to sign veteran players to win one or two more hockey games. (The quote is a bit off but you see the point) so I think Pax nailed it there. Perhaps in a trade but it seems they are not looking to sign vet FAs.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Pretty sure Bylsma and TM agreed that they weren't looking to sign veteran players to win one or two more hockey games. (The quote is a bit off but you see the point) so I think Pax nailed it there. Perhaps in a trade but it seems they are not looking to sign vet FAs.

Ya I see their comments and intentions the other way. Not going to trade assets for an older vet, but cap space for a position of need like lhd in free agency would be ideal. I wouldn't take their comments to indicate no vet signings, but rather to limit expectations that they are going on a spree, aka leino and ehroff type big moves.

AndrewGaze

Apr 5, 2013
Girgensons' role

After seeing all the changes in the team, I have two questions for everyone:

1. What will Girgensons role be in the team next season and in the future?

2. O'Reilly seems like a Girgensons type player and takes the two way center spot in the top 6. How does this influence Girgensons place in the team AND development? Since he'll have to play a different position permanently (unless he is a 3rd line C, which I wouldn't want).

Thanks.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
1. We don't know yet.

2. Doesn't do anything in terms of his development or place on the team. Both of them are capable of playing wing (if needed), and they both have a place here.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I've always like Girgensons on tyhe wing better anyways.

Hopefully a top 6 winger.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
If your entire team was made up of O'Reilly types you would win multiple championships.

Girgensons will offer a strong two-way game on any of the top 3 lines. He can play on any line and make an impact.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Girgensons can play center or wing, basically anywhere in our top 9.

I'll worry about having too many REAL top 6 2 way players... Never

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Well now he doesn't have to be our savior anymore so that should be good for him imho :). He has thrived under the pressure so far but I think it's great that we can now be a little more patient with him and don't have to be disappointed if he "only" turns out to be a decent 2nd/3rd line type of player for the majority of his career. I still have very high hopes for him though and being able to learn from guy like O'Reilly should only help him reach his potential!

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Can't say that I agree. Preds under Trotz & Blues under Hitch are very close to that model. 4 lines of responsible 2 way players.

A team full of forwards with top 6 skill that play strong two-way at center or wing?

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I personally want him in the top 6. I don't really care that much, though. But in today's NHL you don't really think of top 6 anymore. It's top 9, then 4th line.

I'm fine with whatever they choose. Honestly we're looking so stacked right now at forward that he could very easily end up on the 3rd line.

If you have a 3rd line with Zemgus on it, teams are gonna be afraid to play you. I wouldn't mind watching him capitalizing on the mismatches all year long.

Trying to put myself in the shoes of Bylsma, I think it'd be smart to go for balance; equal distribution of talent. To have a 1st line that scores and carries play, a 2nd line that shuts the opposition down, and a 3rd line who comes out and does more of the same...I think that spells success.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm excited to see how much he can get out of his offensive game. A goal scoring power forward with speed is the potential I see.

JacksSmirkingRevenge

Jul 3, 2015
New York, NY
I think he is probably 3rd on the depth chart at center and top 4 at wing. Given that, I imagine he ends up playing wing in a top 6 capacity or is given the 3rd line center role.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a third line that looks like [McGinn - Girgensons - Gionta] at some point next season.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I'll add that it's not about the line he plays on, it's the minutes he's getting, and whether or not he gets to PK/PP. He's highly capable of doing both.

Some combination of Larsson, Girgensons and O'Reilly will make it very hard for other teams to score on the man advantage.

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
With his mental makeup, it's not so much of where WE find a place for him, as where HE finds a place for himself.

He'll be as good as he wants to be. And if he becomes better than O'Reilly in two years, so be it. I personally think he's going to end up being the 2nd best player on the Sabres.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Girgensons fits wherever we need him to fit. He's the ultimate glue guy. Having trouble finding the right linemate for (insert player here)? Just add Zemgus!

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
With his mental makeup, it's not so much of where WE find a place for him, as where HE finds a place for himself.

He'll be as good as he wants to be.

I actually think it's pretty much the opposite. If this was all about the mental makeup then Girgensons would be a surefire superstar imho, but my fear is that some day he will reach a point where all his character and determination won't be enough to overcome the natural "skill-barrier" anymore. This point could come later in his career when he is already an established first line caliber player or it could come relatively soon, but I believe that for Zemgus the limit isn't determined by his mental attributes but by his talent or natural skill or however you wanna define it.

I actually had a few interestings discussions about this topic with a friend by the way who insists that there is no such thing as "talent", I didn't agree with him but it's a nice somewhat philosophical discussion to have :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad