Player Discussion Zemgus Girgensons

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yes data bad
Me says good so good

Offer up some more advanced data to try proving your point. There are plenty of folks who dabble in that stuff - Corsi against, expected goals against, etc... that are attempts to measure on-ice impact for players beyond just the archaic and mostly worthless like plus/minus.

Reactions: sabremike

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Offer up some more advanced data to try proving your point. There are plenty of folks who dabble in that stuff - Corsi against, expected goals against, etc... that are attempts to measure on-ice impact for players beyond just the archaic and mostly worthless like plus/minus.
You say he’s great. What stats you got?

To be fair plus/minus is a little crude. There is 4 other guys on the ice. Players have gone from -30 one season to +30 the next.
I don’t disagree with that.but it is a stat . Grinder doesn’t really have a stat

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You say he’s great. What stats you got?

I said he was good at shot suppression, you have tried hyperbolic exaggeration to try building some sort of argument about it. His shot suppression abilities have always been his one talent - he's a low event hockey player. That's born out by things like the Evolving Hockey's league wide measure for Corsi against (any shot attempt - goals, shots on net, misses and blocks - in non-shootout play) that have him solidly in the top 2/3rds among forwards in the majority of his seasons. He was better at that last year than 95% of the rest of the league.

He is good at shot suppression and that stat (and his low number of events for) bears that out.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I said he was good at shot suppression, you have tried hyperbolic exaggeration to try building some sort of argument about it. His shot suppression abilities have always been his one talent - he's a low event hockey player. That's born out by things like the Evolving Hockey's league wide measure for Corsi against (any shot attempt - goals, shots on net, misses and blocks - in non-shootout play) that have him solidly in the top 2/3rds among forwards in the majority of his seasons. He was better at that last year than 95% of the rest of the league.

He is good at shot suppression and that stat (and his low number of events for) bears that out.
Ok that’s a stat

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Corsi Against (CA): Any shot attempts allowed by a team for players on the ice.

So corsi is a measure of shots while player is on ice and plus minus is a measure of goals while the player is on ice. Both are dependent on the other 4 players on the ice.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Definitely would root for him wherever he goes and it would be nice to see him away from KOs always declining play.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

So corsi is a measure of shots while player is on ice and plus minus is a measure of goals while the player is on ice. Both are dependent on the other 4 players on the ice.

Corsi Against takes all situations into account, although it’s weighted towards even strength situations. Plus minus only counts 2/3 situations (even strength against and shorthanded against) but it’s also a blanket concept. As a player can literally get on the ice after a line change and get a minus (and I hate when that happens to me in the EA games)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Corsi Against takes all situations into account, although it’s weighted towards even strength situations. Plus minus only counts 2/3 situations (even strength against and shorthanded against) but it’s also a blanket concept. As a player can literally get on the ice after a line change and get a minus (and I hate when that happens to me in the EA games)
Thats only the case if you look up a player’s “all situations” stats. There are Corsi against stats for each game state and 5v5 is the one usually being referenced unless stated otherwise.

But I agree its not a strictly individual stat.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Seem like we "Overrate" every one of our players until they leave here and win a cup somewhere else...

Maybe the issue is not being able to properly evaluate what we have, deploy them correctly, and support them with good coaching :dunno:

I love Girgs and trading him would be best for him and the team that acquires him. Those that think he's terrible must have missed how the team's on ice performance takes a nose dive every time he's out of the lineup.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Taken over years, one would expect someone who you claim to not be good at something to show that they are on for both a lot of goals or even more telling, a lot of shots. And yet Girgensons regularly, season on season, been better in that specific area than others on the team even when used in more d-zone starts than others. Girgensons is regularly not just good, but better than most at both suppression of events and better than most at suppression of quality events. I get it, you don't like him and haven't seen that use.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thats only the case if you look up a player’s “all situations” stats. There are Corsi against stats for each game state and 5v5 is the one usually being referenced unless stated otherwise.

But I agree its not a strictly individual stat.

I was using 5-on-5 specifically since that's where the majority of play occurs. If Gus were terrible, one would expect the team to have a dip in the shot and shot quality against with him on the ice borne out over years of sample size. Not only isn't that the case, he trends to being among their best despite quality of teammate and defensive deployments.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Seem like we "Overrate" every one of our players until they leave here and win a cup somewhere else...

Maybe the issue is not being able to properly evaluate what we have, deploy them correctly, and support them with good coaching :dunno:

I love Girgs and trading him would be best for him and the team that acquires him. Those that think he's terrible must have missed how the team's on ice performance takes a nose dive every time he's out of the lineup.
The teams performance” takes a nosedive”. Was he the reason for the two game winning streak?

The teams performance” takes a nosedive”. Was he the reason for the two game winning streak?
We loved Larson too. He left for a playoff run and then no one wanted him

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I do not argue with his effort. He gives 110 percent. He is good on the penalty kill. When he catches someone, he is tenacious. He gives his all every night. He’s a nice guy

He has hands of stone and has a hard time hitting an empty net. He is slow and his reflexes are slow. He is taking up a spot where we could be trying one of our ahl guys who may be a part of the future of this team. It’s time to move on.

Both him and okposo. It’s time

You're batting 1.000 here, try again:

Two way contract?

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad