Zegras Does It Again

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
The offsides review isn't about keeping players honest, they're going to try for every inch they can and occasionally go over regardless... it's about compensating for the linesmen missing it. If "rules are rules" we might as well review every shift between breaks and tally up the dozens of other technically missed calls and penalties. That sounds fun.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
There needs to be an ability for the refs to apply some discretion that allows the refs to determine that the offsides had no bearing on the goal. The spirit of the challenge is not to prevent goals like this.
What??? The fact the play was offside and then continued in the zone and they scored means it had bearing on the goal. If the offside was called then there would have been a whistle and a faceoff. Which means the puck would not have been in the Wild's zone, therefore no GOAL!!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He is very good at it, probably the best I have ever seen but it is very defendable. You just can not play it like a pansy like Zuccarello did. The defensive player needs to bust his ass to that post and lay Zebras out. After one or two times of getting his bell rung he will stop attempting it. That is why it wasn't attempted in the past because you would get destroyed in the process and your career would be shortened. In todays game players don't make the opponent pay the price for attempting things like that.
I think the way zegras does it, it’s too quick and he’s got his eyes in front…. So if someone does come in for the hit, he’ll just simply keep skating. I just don’t think players have been able to get a good jump to make the hit, not to mention he barely is out from behind the net when the goal goes in most times

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
I think the way zegras does it, it’s too quick and he’s got his eyes in front…. So if someone does come in for the hit, he’ll just simply keep skating. I just don’t think players have been able to get a good jump to make the hit, not to mention he barely is out from behind the net when the goal goes in most times
Understand what you are saying and he is great doing this, nothing against Zegras. This is me being the dinosaur that I am and missing players playing tough clean physical hockey and making guys pay the price! If you watch that replay he doesn't pick his head up until he is about to turn and by that time Zuccarello would have buried him if he was skating because contact would have been unavoidable. To often today players slide and reach instead of moving their feet and initiating contact. This just makes life so much easier for the offensive player to do what he wants.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Understand what you are saying and he is great doing this, nothing against Zegras. This is me being the dinosaur that I am and missing players playing tough clean physical hockey and making guys pay the price! If you watch that replay he doesn't pick his head up until he is about to turn and by that time Zuccarello would have buried him if he was skating because contact would have been unavoidable. To often today players slide and reach instead of moving their feet and initiating contact. This just makes life so much easier for the offensive player to do what he wants.
I love the old school hockey, but i also love the new age skill + personalities that were starting to see now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
“Gutsiest (offside) move I’ve ever seen Mav”…….

I was bummed when this one was waved off, caught it live.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The fact this gets any hate is hilarious. The point is to score goals and it works. Now goalies could start worrying about it and overcommitting, or staying up when he goes around the net which opens up other opportunities as well. I don’t expect, or care, if people still gush over it or don’t find it as impressive anymore that’s fine. The people that want him to stop doing it are the morons.
Zegras had the space to make the move because the opposing D was down after blocking a shot. One could say it's a niche move (probably is), but he used it at the right time. I don't think any coach worth their salt would have a problem with it.

Reactions: Vipers31

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
What??? The fact the play was offside and then continued in the zone and they scored means it had bearing on the goal. If the offside was called then there would have been a whistle and a faceoff. Which means the puck would not have been in the Wild's zone, therefore no GOAL!!

Better review every single goal for hooking, holding, interference, slashing, etc too then. If a goal is scored after a blatant hook that wasn't called that should've been called then the goal wouldn't have happened... Right? NO GOALS ANYMORE!

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Agree, but it works and is effective. However, once defenders expect it, I expect him to be drilled in the process of doing it. Tonight thought we saw Zucc flopping around like a fish and that's an underrated part of the video:laugh:.
This is the real reason it was waived off, they didn't want Zucc to be enshrined in that highlight reel sliding around like a dummy, he probably set it up with the officials over the years as a wily vet maneuver.
He is very good at it, probably the best I have ever seen but it is very defendable. You just can not play it like a pansy like Zuccarello did. The defensive player needs to bust his ass to that post and lay Zebras out. After one or two times of getting his bell rung he will stop attempting it. That is why it wasn't attempted in the past because you would get destroyed in the process and your career would be shortened. In todays game players don't make the opponent pay the price for attempting things like that.
Zuccarello fell down, which obviously is why this wasn’t defended at all
Zucc lost an edge and fell, which sometimes happens on an ice surface, he didn’t choose to take himself out of position completely.

• Haha
Reactions: Sean Garrity

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I can’t imagine the reviews were put in to change these types of situations, I think coaches/teams have just abused it, and the league hasn’t fixed it.

I don’t mind it when it’s a direct result of a goal…. But I do think it’s kinda lame to go back 10+ seconds and change the call…. But that’s the way it works right now, unfortunate but them the rules
Oh totally agree, I have no real issue in the call being called off last night, those are the rules. Just seems lame when the offside was so far behind the actual goal. Sucks to watch a goal like that live, jump out of your seat, then a few minutes later it's like nah.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
The fact this gets any hate is hilarious. The point is to score goals and it works. Now goalies could start worrying about it and overcommitting, or staying up when he goes around the net which opens up other opportunities as well. I don’t expect, or care, if people still gush over it or don’t find it as impressive anymore that’s fine. The people that want him to stop doing it are the morons.
The point of the offense is to score goals. The point of the defense is to prevent them.
Wanting an opponent to pay a physical price for handy work right at the net is nothing new. What has changed is offensive players now have a prime scoring opportunity from behind the net. This creates the situation where defenders should treat them the same as if they were near/in the blue paint.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
The spirit of the challenge is to prevent that like one Duchene goal where he was 3 feet offsides. It's not about preventing flashy ones, and human error takes place in any sport.

And a strike should be a strike in baseball.
Umm, no, the spirit of the rule is the ability to correct when you missed an offside that ended up costing the team a goal against.

Also, I couldn't care less if it happened on the rush with goal scored 2 seconds after being offside vs. 2 min. When a team gets hemmed inside their end for a long team, it seems like forever trying to get the puck out and the longer it goes, the harder it is....very often ends up with a puck in the back of your net or a PP to the other team.....if that all started with an offside, 100% makes sense to apply in the same way.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
The thing us with offsides is if you established possession on an offside play and the puck does not exit the zone you can't determine if the play happens the same or the team retains possession of the puck if it is onsides it sucks but if its offside its offside the only argument would be if replays are inconclusive than the original call should stand.

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
Just here to say I love offside challenges.

With how inconsistent the officiating already is, I can't understand how anyone would want to put discretion into a black/white rule. We might as well let the refs choose whether a goal is awarded when the puck crosses 90% of the goal line. They beat the goalie so let's just award them a goal even though the puck never fully crossed. Right?

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad