Zegras Does It Again

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
You can't remove the offsides review now, because the first playoff goal where they get the call wrong will cause such a huge uproar, the risk isn't worth it. These reviews are a result of HD cameras, you can't get away with missing objective calls anymore. Isn't puck over the glass reviewable now too?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
You can't remove the offsides review now, because the first playoff goal where they get the call wrong will cause such a huge uproar, the risk isn't worth it. These reviews are a result of HD cameras, you can't get away with missing objective calls anymore. Isn't puck over the glass reviewable now too?
I think the issue people have is that generally

a) the reviews take too long and disrupt the flow of the game (although this one was quick) and
b) result in goals like this being called off

The NHL wants to be more entertaining and draw in new fans, players like Zegras can do that, but when goals like this get called off due to offside by an inch tens of seconds before (I actually don't recall exactly how long the gap was here so keep me honest), it really interferes with that. There should be a statute of limitation on these offside challenges - if the potential offside was like 15+ seconds before the goal, it should be a wash.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
If you think that cut/dry rules should be selectively applied it’s you on an island.

The "cut/dry" rule is already selectively applied. Being able to challenge missed offside calls *is* definitionally "selective application of the rule." A guy goes offside by 10 cm, but the play isn't whistled down; his team hits the post instead of scoring, there's no stoppage, no review. The play was offside but is allowed to stand, and the play goes on. It's only when someone scores that anyone bothers to think about it. That is selective application of an allegedly "cut/dry" rule.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
"Wait, hold up, sorry.......we know the play continued long after the zone entry and had absolutely zero impact on the goal that was scored......but you were a fraction of an inch offside and our linesman didn't catch it. Gonna have to call that one back, because rules is rules."

NHL just can't seem to stop bungling these decisions.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
The "rules are rules" crowd also completely misses the point of why the rule exists in the first place, which is to prevent the attacking team from gaining a competitive advantage. If the alleged offside is so miniscule and happens so quickly that it cannot be seen by the naked eye in real time, then it is irrelevant and no advantage was gained by the attacking team.

Half the time when these goals get called back, the guy whose skate was a millimeter offside isn't even involved in the play in any capacity. There was a goal called back in the playoffs because a guy was going to the bench for a change and his skate was over the line. To me, that's just as bad as the time Matt Duchene or whoever the f*** was 15 feet offside on a breakaway but it wasn't called. The league WILDLY overreacted to a bizarre outlier of a play, and in doing so created a bad rule that actively makes the game worse.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think the issue people have is that generally

a) the reviews take too long and disrupt the flow of the game (although this one was quick) and
b) result in goals like this being called off

The NHL wants to be more entertaining and draw in new fans, players like Zegras can do that, but when goals like this get called off due to offside by an inch tens of seconds before (I actually don't recall exactly how long the gap was here so keep me honest), it really interferes with that. There should be a statute of limitation on these offside challenges - if the potential offside was like 15+ seconds before the goal, it should be a wash.
I can’t imagine the reviews were put in to change these types of situations, I think coaches/teams have just abused it, and the league hasn’t fixed it.

I don’t mind it when it’s a direct result of a goal…. But I do think it’s kinda lame to go back 10+ seconds and change the call…. But that’s the way it works right now, unfortunate but them the rules

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Since when are ruled of goals thread worthy? He needs to find a new stick anyway the novelty effect has worn of on this type of goal.
I don’t think he does it for the novelty…. He does it so fast and clean that it’s likely his best percentage play in those situations.

Object is to score goals…. That’s what he did there… if he went for a wraparound he is likely stopped, if he goes and try’s to jam front side he’s prob stopped. Innovating new things for defenses to think about is good for the growth of the sport.

Reactions: Vipers31

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Sorry, linesman. If you don't agree that a goal scored like one minute after the offsides occurs should count, then I think you're just on an island.

Idk how possible it is, but couldn't they add a "video linesman" the would communicate with the officials on the ice if there's anything missed?

It would be as close to real time as possible, a better view of the line and also it could help with the refs/linesmen credibility since they wouldn't be called out on the spot when reviewing a goal 3 mins after a missed call. People watching the game would have very little idea if the linesman missed the call or not.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
If there was a time limit following an offside we could have a review whether it was offside followed by a review whether that was within time limit.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I’m bored of this move already. Love Zegras tho

I like it, it opens a niche, but new dimension to the game if more players learn to do it.

It might make the traditional wrap-arounds a legit threat, potentially open some creative airborne passing plays too from behind the net (instead of shooting it in, perhaps Zegras does the Michigan and send it over defenders sticks that block a passing a lane for a teammate to tap in an easy open net?)

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
There needs to be an ability for the refs to apply some discretion that allows the refs to determine that the offsides had no bearing on the goal. The spirit of the challenge is not to prevent goals like this.
I get what you're saying, but the argument can be made that the team entering the offensive zone wouldn't have had as much positional advantage to gain a foothold in the zone, which would have made the play die sooner and the goal not happen. It's impossible to know how true that would be - you can only live in one reality, after all - so they call the goal back because the one thing they do know beyond a doubt is that the play was offside.

It does suck that such a cool goal was overruled by it, but that was bound to happen eventually. I'd love to see a list of the Coolest Goals that Never Happened. I think this one would rank high on the list.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If a player is slightly offside and score a goal, can the same be said for a puck almost crossing the goal line but not all count as a goal?
Obviously no. They're two very different circumstances you're trying to equate.

If a player is offside by a miniscule amount, no real advantage is gained. It's still in the general spirit of the rule.

On the Zegras overturned goal, the Ducks enter the zone at 16:29. Zegras scores his goal 30 seconds later. Upon review it looks like one player was a tiny bit offside. So yes technically it was a missed offside call but it gave no advantage to the goal being scored.

Obviously a puck almost crossing the goal line is not a goal. If you call it a goal it will have a massive impact on the game, especially considering the league average of goals scored per game.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Last season I recall there was a goal which was disallowed due to offside which was well before the goal. Then the team whose goal was disallowed scored another goal in more quickly than the original one.

Pretty sure it involved Predators, maybe against Jets.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
The "cut/dry" rule is already selectively applied. Being able to challenge missed offside calls *is* definitionally "selective application of the rule." A guy goes offside by 10 cm, but the play isn't whistled down; his team hits the post instead of scoring, there's no stoppage, no review. The play was offside but is allowed to stand, and the play goes on. It's only when someone scores that anyone bothers to think about it. That is selective application of an allegedly "cut/dry" rule.
Then you add to it that a player's skate no longer has to be on the ice to be onside. So at times officials are making judgment calls based on available camera angles as to whether a player's skate was still onside while in the air.

Magic 8 Ball

Sep 27, 2021
The Netherworld
I’d rather officials just care about the actual spirit of the rule and allow more game flow and goals.
If there's a change in rules due to Flow of the game, I would prefer pucks over the glass be dealt with before offsides. On the offsides, who's to know if the players know it's going to be reviewed in their favour and ease up on the play.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
The "rules are rules" crowd also completely misses the point of why the rule exists in the first place, which is to prevent the attacking team from gaining a competitive advantage. If the alleged offside is so miniscule and happens so quickly that it cannot be seen by the naked eye in real time, then it is irrelevant and no advantage was gained by the attacking team.

Half the time when these goals get called back, the guy whose skate was a millimeter offside isn't even involved in the play in any capacity. There was a goal called back in the playoffs because a guy was going to the bench for a change and his skate was over the line. To me, that's just as bad as the time Matt Duchene or whoever the f*** was 15 feet offside on a breakaway but it wasn't called. The league WILDLY overreacted to a bizarre outlier of a play, and in doing so created a bad rule that actively makes the game worse.
Exactly this.

The NHL massively overreacted to a few terrible missed calls.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
That goal happened because now a days the players play like pansies and the way Zuccarello played that is a perfect example of that? The defender needs to skate hard to the post and lay Zebras out! After one or two times of being exposed and drilled it would not be attempted again. Players never used to try that because they knew when they turned the corner they would be buried, now they turn the corner because no one buries them!! Pretty soon they will be skating around with TooToo's on!! That goal is a by-product of less contact!!

• Haha
Reactions: LuGBuG

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
He is getting so good at it. It’s almost undefendable when he is that fast.
He is very good at it, probably the best I have ever seen but it is very defendable. You just can not play it like a pansy like Zuccarello did. The defensive player needs to bust his ass to that post and lay Zebras out. After one or two times of getting his bell rung he will stop attempting it. That is why it wasn't attempted in the past because you would get destroyed in the process and your career would be shortened. In todays game players don't make the opponent pay the price for attempting things like that.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
The fact this gets any hate is hilarious. The point is to score goals and it works. Now goalies could start worrying about it and overcommitting, or staying up when he goes around the net which opens up other opportunities as well. I don’t expect, or care, if people still gush over it or don’t find it as impressive anymore that’s fine. The people that want him to stop doing it are the morons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad