Former Bruins Zdeno Chara

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Z certainly has the smarts to become GM but IMO he would need to gain experience first.
I think he would do really well in the front office. He is methodical and pays a lot of attention to detail. Also he's very intelligent and open-minded. Main thing with Z is that he is VERY competitive and is not the type to lay blame on others and make excuses. He knows the game and league inside and out. He has all the traits to make for a great GM the way I see things. Like you, I would want him to gain some experience first. I don't think DS is going anywhere soon, so it would be a good chance for Z to come in and learn the ropes and gain insight before being put into a high position.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
But many do,and none did before they took management positions. And I'm hearing that Neely is not liked leaguewide.
Well, I like Cam and always will. He was an amazing player and did some great things for charity (still does). He also did a couple of nice things for my parents that meant much to them (and me).

From everything I know, Cam is a good man.

Last edited:

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Bh

Are you sure that wasn't Sweeney and Neely's call instead of Cassidy's?
I am pretty sure it was on here saying it was Bruce's call as to where Z would play and he wouldn't get the same minutes as the previous year, so he left.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I hear he is notoriously frugal,probably something Jacobs wold embrace.
Doubtless.

A lot of JJ's perceived penny pinching (which is certainly well earned) was actually Sinden's doing.

If Chara were playing while Harry was GM, and wanted a jersey to commemorate his playing days in Boston, he would have to pay for it. (Name and number extra.)

This was actually the practice back then. And I'm not talking about the '70s, either. I'm talking about the early '90s.

I will always hate Sinden. He was a cheap bastard who delighted in screwing his players out of fair recompense.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I think he would do really well in the front office. He is methodical and pays a lot of attention to detail. Also he's very intelligent and open-minded. Main thing with Z is that he is VERY competitive and is not the type to lay blame on others and make excuses. He knows the game and league inside and out. He has all the traits to make for a great GM the way I see things. Like you, I would want him to gain some experience first. I don't think DS is going anywhere soon, so it would be a good chance for Z to come in and learn the ropes and gain insight before being put into a high position.
The not making excuses point is the most important of a few important points there.
Sweeney is an excuse making machine.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
But many do,and none did before they took management positions. And I'm hearing that Neely is not liked leaguewide.
Where did you hear that?

Well, I like Cam and always will. He was an amazing player and did some great things for charity (still does). He also did a couple of nice things for my parents that meant much to them (and me).

From everything I know, Cam is a good man.
He's still one of my all time favorite players. And I'm certain he's a good man.

I just don't believe he's a good fit in his present role.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Doubtless.

A lot of JJ's perceived penny pinching (which is certainly well earned) was actually Sinden's doing.

If Chara were playing while Harry was GM, and wanted a jersey to commemorate his playing days in Boston, he would have to pay for it. (Name and number extra.)

This was actually the practice back then. And I'm not talking about the '70s, either. I'm talking about the early '90s.

I will always hate Sinden. He was a cheap bastard who delighted in screwing his players out of fair recompense.
I've heard that,not sure what Sinden's motivation would be to save money for the owner. If it's self preservation,then it's actually forced. If he was rewarded,then it was at least encouraged. I don't understand why Sinden would penny pinch a billionaire's money on his own.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I've heard that,not sure what Sinden's motivation would be to save money for the owner. If it's self preservation,then it's actually forced. If he was rewarded,then it was at least encouraged. I don't understand why Sinden would penny pinch a billionaire's money on his own.

Because, like most NHL owners and GM's of his era and even more so previously, the attitude was simple: Players were chattel. Jack Adams or Punch Imlach, or Dollar Bill Wirtz or Harold Ballard said "Jump!" and players, with few exceptions (Ted Lindsay, Red Kelly) said "How high?"

I believe it was Fenway who related a good while ago that he (or a friend) encountered Mike Milbury at a bar (in Buffalo, I think, which is hilarious given where Jacobs lives). When questioned about Jacobs' infamously penurious ways, Milbury replied that it was Harry Sinden, not Jeremy Jacobs, who assessed player value and what, in his eyes, a player should be paid.

Jacobs more or less allowed Sinden to do as he pleased with little interference. Until, of course, Sinden and his hand-picked successor Mike O'Connell ran the franchise into the ground and long suffering B's fans finally deserted in droves. Only when the gravy train was threatened did Jacobs act, kicking Harry upstairs.

Things had to hit rock bottom before Charlie Jacobs was given the authority to look outside the organization for a new GM.

I think you know the rest of the story.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Because, like most NHL owners and GM's of his era and even more so previously, the attitude was simple: Players were chattel. Jack Adams or Punch Imlach, or Dollar Bill Wirtz or Harold Ballard said "Jump!" and players, with few exceptions (Ted Lindsay, Red Kelly) said "How high?"

I believe it was Fenway who related a good while ago that he (or a friend) encountered Mike Milbury at a bar (in Buffalo, I think, which is hilarious given where Jacobs lives). When questioned about Jacobs' infamously penurious ways, Milbury replied that it was Harry Sinden, not Jeremy Jacobs, who assessed player value and what, in his eyes, a player should be paid.

Jacobs more or less allowed Sinden to do as he pleased with little interference. Until, of course, Sinden and his hand-picked successor Mike O'Connell ran the franchise into the ground and long suffering B's fans finally deserted in droves. Only when the gravy train was threatened did Jacobs act, kicking Harry upstairs.

Things had to hit rock bottom before Charlie Jacobs was given the authority to look outside the organization for a new GM.

I think you know the rest of the story.
I never heard Milbury say that about Sinden,but I did hear Milbury say it about Wang. I have no idea what the truth is,maybe it was Sinden all on his own,and if so,with so many years of not winning the holy grail,Jacobs should have stepped in much sooner,so it still goes back to him.

If I may, who?
Not going there,but it would be impossible that I was the only one who read it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad