Former Bruins Zdeno Chara

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Highly unlikely, especially given that Don Sweeney demured (at best) or flicked off the suggestion (at worst) at today's press conference, would you want Z back as a solid, still very physical bottom pair D?

He's a proud man, and if anything, might return to NYI.

I'd love it, for several reasons. I'd also love Milan back, though for sure that won't happen.

Going to get pummeled here, but have at it.

Be kind.

Last edited:

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
I loved Chara for what the brought to the Bruins, but from what I saw of him last year he's cooked. He had the most penalty minutes he's had in 10+ years last year cause he was literally fighting to stay relevant.

Not as big of a corpse as Thornton, but close.

Please no., unless it was as an assistant coach maybe.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Don’t have enough left shot defensemen. Good idea.

Ship has almost certainly sailed, but it would be great. He's still effective in a limited role, and don't discount what he brings in terms of leadership or physical intimidation.

My guess is that Neely and Sweeney want to look to the future, which is fair, though that approach didn't work well the first time. Their plans for the future, and perhaps their pride, would likely preclude Zdeno's return.

I do hope, whenever he decides to hang 'em up, Chara will return to Boston. If not for a one day contract, then raising #33 to the rafters.

A quintessential Bruin.

Along with Peter Chiarelli, Claude Julien, Patrice, Brad, Milan, Tim Thomas and so many more, Zdeno Chara reinvigerated the franchise, reinstilled Boston Bruins DNA, and set a superlative example, on and off the ice.

We need speed from youth to accompany our existing older players. Z and Looch connot fill that void.

Also, I do understand the sentiment, but no

Fair.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I dont really see the downside if he's cheap for a year but might be an awkward scenario where he used to be Captain and he left and Bergy is the Captain now. Idk maybe not, just one of my thoughts.

I don't think that would be a problem.

We're talking about Zdeno Chara and Patrice Bergeron, two of the finest leaders to grace the sport.

They'd work it out, trust me.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I loved Chara for what the brought to the Bruins, but from what I saw of him last year he's cooked. He had the most penalty minutes he's had in 10+ years last year cause he was literally fighting to stay relevant.

Not as big of a corpse as Thornton, but close.

Please no., unless it was as an assistant coach maybe.

Again, fair. But don't believe Z was fighting to be relevant.

It's one of the basic instruments in his tool box, and he used it, as always, with precision and effectively.

Many here don't count physical intimidation as important in today's NHL. I still do.

And you can bet, even at 45 (!), any opponent on the ice has to respect Zdeno on several levels, not least his imposing physicality.

I don't understand why some don't get this. We are not talking about goons. We are not talking about the Broad St. Bullies. We're talking about physical intimidation, which STILL works.

I'll violate a personal writing rule and use the same word twice in a given piece.

Mark Messier -- one of the greatest leaders, and winners, in NHL history -- had a simple formula for success. It wasn't about knocking guys around. It was about a lot of things.

Chiefly, it was about getting in your adversary's head. One way to do that effectively -- one way -- is physical intimidation.

"To win, you must impose your will on the opponent."

Last edited:

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
he already turned down contract to be number 7 two years ago. doubt he pulls his family through the year long remote song and dance again, I think he hangs them up officially.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I would pass. Even if it’s minimum, and he slots in as an occasional #6 is it worth the roster spot? I’d vote no
I agree with this. The only time I could see him being somewhat beneficial would be on the PK.. plant his bigass in front of the net and take advantage of his 12ft long stick.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Again, fair. But don't believe Z was fighting to be relevant.

It's one of the basic instruments in his tool box, and he used it, as always, with precision and effectively.

Many here don't count physical intimidation as important in today's NHL. I still do.

And you can bet, even at 45 (!), any opponent on the ice has to respect Zdeno on several levels, not least his imposing physicality.

I don't understand why some don't get this. We are not talking about goons. We are not talking about the Broad St. Bullies. We're talking about physical intimidation, which STILL works.

I'll violate a personal writing rule and use the same word twice in a given piece.

Mark Messier -- one of the greatest leaders, and winners, in NHL history -- had a simple formula for success. It wasn't about knocking guys around. It was about a lot of things.

Chiefly, it was about getting in your adversary's head. One way to do that effectively -- one way -- is physical intimidation.

"To win, you must impose your will on the opponent."
But he really isn’t effective any more. Did you watch him play last year?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I would pass. Even if it’s minimum, and he slots in as an occasional #6 is it worth the roster spot? I’d vote no

Understood. I think.

If the argument is, play PRO prospects/cheapo free agents, etc., that is reasonable.

If the argument is Connor Clifton, Derek Forbort, or Mike Reilly, no. Gryz is better than Reilly. Forbort was good at shot blocking, though I'm not certain what else. He seems like a stiff to me. Clifton? I don't know -- I don't know -- but the vibe I get is that he remains a risk, undependable. I'm tired of the experiment.

Z would not solve these problems, of course, and I don't expect his return. Unfortunately, I think some of that has to do with Sweeney and Neely admitting they were wrong to let him go previously, when the D "youth movement" proved a bust. Some of that might be Z saying "Screw you" per same.

In the event, whatever happens I remain a huge Zdeno Chara fan.

Reactions: BMC

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Highly unlikely, especially given that Don Sweeney demured (at best) or flicked off the suggestion (at worst) at today's press conference, would you want Z back as a solid, still very physical bottom pair D?

He's a proud man, and if anything, might return to NYI.

I'd love it, for several reasons. I'd also love Milan back, though for sure that won't happen.

Going to get pummeled here, but have at it.

Be kind.

Chara would be a nice D to bring back for both leadership presence and sturdy 3rd pair minute. The issue is where does that leave all the defensive prospects that the Bruins have down in Providence? Unless Sweeney starts moving some of them to get assets to win now, the Bruins have nothing to gain even in the short term from having Chara here because it just keeps those prospects still as big mysteries of where their ceiling is.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
the Islanders capped his career, because that's the franchise that believed in him.... even though most of his success came later, here and Ottawa...... Washington gave him what he said he wanted that the B's couldn't it was time....

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Understood. I think.

If the argument is, play PRO prospects/cheapo free agents, etc., that is reasonable.

If the argument is Connor Clifton, Derek Forbort, or Mike Reilly, no. Gryz is better than Reilly. Forbort was good at shot blocking, though I'm not certain what else. He seems like a stiff to me. Clifton? I don't know -- I don't know -- but the vibe I get is that he remains a risk, undependable. I'm tired of the experiment.

Z would not solve these problems, of course, and I don't expect his return. Unfortunately, I think some of that has to do with Sweeney and Neely admitting they were wrong to let him go previously, when the D "youth movement" proved a bust. Some of that might be Z saying "Screw you" per same.

In the event, whatever happens I remain a huge Zdeno Chara fan.

I think the problem is that the Bruins didn't commit to the youth movement at D. They never let anyone outside of Charlie Mac, Gryz, and maybe Connor Clifton have meaningful minutes. Zboril, Lauzon, and co all got injured way too much to know what they truly were. Prospects just don't become NHLers if they are stuck in the AHL.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
But he really isn’t effective any more. Did you watch him play last year?

I did not watch him on a regular basis, no.

What I did watch was (sigh) his physical play, and he was more than up for it.

Z is one of the most intelligent players to ever skate in the NHL. He can use his physicality, and he is certainly better than anything the Bruins have, bottom pairing.

I can almost guarentee Sweeney and Neely would never bring him back. I understand if they want to bring along prospects like Ahcan, or see what Zboril can do, at long last.

Just a thought, soon discarded by many.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Chara would be a nice D to bring back for both leadership presence and sturdy 3rd pair minute. The issue is where does that leave all the defensive prospects that the Bruins have down in Providence? Unless Sweeney starts moving some of them to get assets to win now, the Bruins have nothing to gain even in the short term from having Chara here because it just keeps those prospects still as big mysteries of where their ceiling is.

Completely legitimate point. And I would understand, if that's the rationale.

I want Z to come back at some point, if only to raise his number to the rafters.

Reactions: BMC and EvilDead

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd sign him to the one day contract so he can retire properly as a Bruin.

In terms of actually a vet minimum contract. I think he is a liability most nights, and in fact I think if you dress Z, then you need to dress 7 D, because he can fill a spot, but that spot is limited, and you need to have someone else behind him, because there may be long stretches he is unplayable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad