Zdeno Chara: Will there be interest in other teams as Bruins?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Bruins are in waiting mode. Is there any other real contender?

Fans of Maple Leafs will go to barricades, if their team sign him. Or will be happy about it?

I'd be happy with it what better mentor for a guy like Sandin than Chara?

You can do worse than Chara on the 3rd pair

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
all my detective skills tell me theres been a conversation that went something like this...

don Sweeney: of course we are bringing you back... but we dont know how much we can afford for your bonus structure until we get debrusk/grezlyck signed and potentially find another upgrade for the team that will give us a chance to win the cup this year

zdeno chara: no worries, i'm glad you are trying to give me some bonuses as a reward for my years of service instead of just giving me a minimum contract... and I definitely want us to have a chance to win if I come back for another year. trust me, it really comes down to the bruins or retirement, so dont worry about me embarrassing the team and jumping ship for an extra 500k at this point in my career

Maybe, but I'll never fault a guy for taking the bag.

In this hypothetical, Bruins can MAYBE offer a mil with bonuses up to 2, maybe. Then again if he waits it out maybe the Bruins can't offer him a dime : OR, another team offering him an easy workload on the third pair/pk and a guaranteed 2 mil, right now.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I cant see any NHL not wanting him. Of course depends on contract demands but absolutely would be wanted.
Devils looking for another D and are looking for exactly what Chara is . Of course they prefer a young player to bring in long term but on a one year deal I could see Fitz offerign him a contract for sure. Just a minor detail though , why would Chara want to play on the Devils...
He would get a lot of icetime and play higher up in the lineup than most teams but playoffs are almost a given to not happen .

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
yup. Still a PK and 5v5 beast. 3:05 PK/gm last year, 65% d-zone start,+26 and 39 ESGA. Also was top 10 in defensive point shares

His offense and puck handling are gone, but still just as good in his own zone as before

Reactions: BruinsBtn

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
He could basically pick his contending team if he were willing to take a minimal salary. He's made 100 million in his career, so taking one more run on a cheap deal isn't too far fetched. Still plays 20+ minutes a night with 2/3rds D zone starts. He will be an asset wherever he plays this season.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Hes old, hes slow, hes washed up. Leafs sign him to a three year overpaid deal that they regret immediately the following season. Then they will try to flip him and give up some more assets in order to dump his contract.

Ah yea, just like they’ve done with Spezza, Simmonds, and Bogosian, amirite?

You're not exactly making a strong point since 2 of those guys have been there for less than 1 full week. :huh:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
$1m x 1 year deal to win another cup in Colorado. :thumbu:

Toews --- Makar
Girard --- Johnson
Graves --- Chara
Cole

He has limited mobility, but he can still do a very good job with 70% DZ starts including anchoring the top PK unit with Johnson.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5H4RK5

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
$1m x 1 year deal to win another cup in Colorado. :thumbu:

Toews --- Makar
Girard --- Johnson
Graves --- Graves
Cole

He has limited mobility, but he can still do a very good job with 70% DZ starts including anchoring the top PK unit with Johnson.

Damn, Graves really that good?

Reactions: smitty10

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Leafs interested but Jeremy Jacobs and his contacts at league offices have to be included. Otherwise Leafs would be killing an extra 500 PIM a year. And that's just for his crosschecking.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Damn, Graves really that good?
Lol, I was deliberating about which one of Graves or Chara would play on their off hand and guess I forgot to change the other name back :laugh:

Maybe we'd just play Toews on the right though seeing as he's done that before to good effect. Not bad either ;)

Graves --- Makar
Girard --- Toews
Chara --- Johnson
Cole

Reactions: 66-30-33

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
1 year deal in Toronto so we can see him paste Marchand into the boards. :D
Chara would never be able to catch Marchand to hit him. That's a common misconception about his game nowadays - that he brings a physical presence. He doesn't. He's too slow to hit anybody in a meaningful way.

Basically all he's good for now is eating up space deep in the defensive zone, with a long reach that can poke check plays apart.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
yup. Still a PK and 5v5 beast. 3:05 PK/gm last year, 65% d-zone start,+26 and 39 ESGA. Also was top 10 in defensive point shares

His offense and puck handling are gone, but still just as good in his own zone as before
Perhaps the GM that brought him to Boston will sign him but I think he wants a contender which is something the Rangers won’t be for atleast 3 years

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Chara can still be extremely effective in situational usage - i.e. exclusively defensive zone starts and penalty killing, cut back on regular 5v5 minutes to save him for the PK. Cassidy was sort of using him that way in the playoffs this year. And going forward he should be getting games off, no back-to-backs, extra rest days, etc.

I'd hate to see him go elsewhere, and I think we eventually bring him back.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I'd like him for Detroit.

Detroit could sign him for a year, and then hire him for a scouting position.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
But the Bruins won't say no. Seems like a faulty premise here. Why on earth would the Bruins say no? Aren't they just waiting out the Debrusk/Grzelcyk/ufa situation to see just how much remains to offer him? Mutually. Either way, they'll sign him. Just remains to be seen if it's $1M, $1.5M, whatever.
:dunno:

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Cole does have a good cross check to the back though. Referees agree with this.
Ugh, don't remind me. That cross check that led to the 5-on-3 against when we were up 2-0 in game 2 that let Dallas back in the game was beyond idiotic. Yes it was also a dive by Perry, but as a "veteran" Cole surely has to be expecting that and be smarter about it.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad