Zdeno Chara: Will there be interest in other teams as Bruins?

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Same here, On his 31 thoughts Elliott Friedman did link Chara to DET. Depending on his health DDK i'd take a one year chance at Zdeno Chara.

I just don't see why he does that. Is he really interested in playing just for the sake of hanging on? I he just wants to play for another year stay in Boston hoping they can get it going as they get healthy or go to Ottawa to get back to where it all started - yes, I know his career started with the Islanders. If he wants to challenge for a Cup and doesn't believe Boston can hack it, he has plenty of other options that would be more agreeable.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Hes old, hes slow, hes washed up. Leafs sign him to a three year overpaid deal that they regret immediately the following season. Then they will try to flip him and give up some more assets in order to dump his contract.

Ah yea, just like they’ve done with Spezza, Simmonds, and Bogosian, amirite?

You're not exactly making a strong point since 2 of those guys have been there for less than 1 full week. :huh:

Doesn't really matter how long they've been here. Their contracts are nowhere near that description.

Ummm.....I was referring to the " flip him " part of the original comment. :nod:

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I doubt anyone goes for him. Looked too too slow to play in the league. Only BOS for legacy reasons.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Montreal ?

They have some space, and could probably use a top 4 LHD still; that is if they decide they have to make the playoffs this year.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I’m sure teams are interested, but is he? He’ll be 44, he’s a 1st ballot HOFer, he’s a cup champ, he’s made tons of money, and I’m assuming he’s pretty well situated in Boston. Would he really sign a cheap 1-year deal to play in the mess that is going to be the upcoming season?

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Ummm.....I was referring to the " flip him " part of the original comment. :nod:
And that part was predicated on the whole “overpay them for 3 years” part. Even if these guys wind up sucking, their contracts are up at the end of the season.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Strangely, the Leafs have a mediocre defense, but are still much better on the left than the Oilers without Klefbom.

Chara at 52 is still an improvement on Jones and Russell.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
He can still be effective as a pk and 3rd pairing type for most teams if he is willing to take that demotion in role. Id assume he would only be looking for a playoff contender though and not want to go anywhere like detroit or new jersey.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m sure teams are interested, but is he? He’ll be 44, he’s a 1st ballot HOFer, he’s a cup champ, he’s made tons of money, and I’m assuming he’s pretty well situated in Boston. Would he really sign a cheap 1-year deal to play in the mess that is going to be the upcoming season?
I honestly think he loves the game so much that yes he would ?

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I'd be fine with the Sabres picking up at league minimum to add to our veteran presence for a year.
Chara did play with Krueger in the World Cup of Hockey.

touchnotthecat

Dec 29, 2014
I know i have a better chance of getting struck by lightning while scratching a $70M lottery ticket while riding a black stallion backwards in ice skates but as a Canucks fan since drafting Tryamkin (6'8") its been a dream to see him and Chara (6'9") on the ice together.
They dont have to be good. Just hold hands and skate around swinging their 10ft sticks octopus tag style.
Ill be a fan forever make it happen Jim!

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
I think Chara has more value than a lot of people think (not talking $$ wise) - leadership, can still beat up 99% of the league and is still a serviceable 5/6 dman. Going to be a sad day if he’s not back with the Bruins.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I doubt anyone goes for him. Looked too too slow to play in the league. Only BOS for legacy reasons.
Teams would be interested. He is still good enough to play a role on a team. He literally just played a big role on one of the best teams in the league. That role should have been dialed back but it is illustrative of the fact he is still an NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->