Zdeno Chara: Will there be interest in other teams as Bruins?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
What would his team mates say if they say no?

For reference, how did Martin Brodeur's team mates react when the Devils didn't want him back? What was the Chelios situation?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm sure there will be teams making offers. The question is if he's willing to sign with a team that's not a contender.

In the 31 Thoughts podcast, Jeff Marek or Elliotte Friedman recently speculated that Detroit would be interested in both Chara and Krug.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Someone will sign him for sure. He is still an elite PKer and he and McAvoy formed a very effective shutdown pairing where Chara just kinda guards the net and McAvoy does everything else. But it really holds McAvoy back in the two way game and the Bruins need more offense at 5 on 5. I wouldn’t be shocked if he came back to Boston for another year if they have the cap space, but if can’t be to play with McAvoy unless the team is protecting a lead in the 3rd.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Vegas would be the one team who could sign him outside Boston.

But as much as I hate the Bruins it'd suck to see him not retire a Bruin.

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm sure there will be teams making offers. The question is if he's willing to sign with a team that's not a contender.

In the 31 Thoughts podcast, Jeff Marek or Elliotte Friedman recently speculated that Detroit would be interested in both Chara and Krug.

Detroit???????? :huh:

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Hes old, hes slow, hes washed up. Leafs sign him to a three year overpaid deal that they regret immediately the following season. Then they will try to flip him and give up some more assets in order to dump his contract.

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
I think contending teams should be interested if the Bruins are not. Sign Z on a 1 year to kill penalties and play limited 5 on 5 minutes. It would be a bummer to see him in another uniform though.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Honestly I don't think he brings much other than some good leadership. Has looked pretty slow when playing the Lightning. Most teams are trying to get that edge in speed. I just dont think he's a great get unless you need some veteran leadership. Maybe a team like Buffalo could use him.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Honestly I don't think he brings much other than some good leadership. Has looked pretty slow when playing the Lightning. Most teams are trying to get that edge in speed. I just dont think he's a great get unless you need some veteran leadership. Maybe a team like Buffalo could use him.
He’s been slow forever. He makes up for it with his 14 foot reach. He still played 21 minutes this year on the top team in the league.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He’s been slow forever. He makes up for it with his 14 foot reach. He still played 21 minutes this year on the top team in the league.

I just think its time for the big man to hang them up. Its bad sometimes how slow he is.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Hes old, hes slow, hes washed up. Leafs sign him to a three year overpaid deal that they regret immediately the following season. Then they will try to flip him and give up some more assets in order to dump his contract.

That is your hope, it won't be a reality.
Also, there is such a track record, of the Leafs signing slow players :eyeroll:

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
No way Chara doesn’t get an NHL deal. If it’s not the bruins then it’ll be someone else. He can still play sheltered minutes and his reputation precedes him

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Chara can still play sheltered minutes and I imagine he wouldn't be very interested in a team unless they throw some big money at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad