Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I'm not sure about that. His foot speed is a concerning liability for me at this point. Will he be fit enough to play and compete physically? I can't see why not, he's an incredible athlete. But the more games I watch where McAvoy needs to cover for his lack of foot speed, the more I wonder if this is his last cup run.
I hear you, but his footspeed has been considered a liability since he broke into the league :laugh:.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
There were moments in the Tampa game where he seemed to struggle to keep up with opposing players in the defensive zone. If he didn't have that reach, I think he wouldn't be nearly as effective as he is.

That said I love the guy. If this is his last run I truly hope they go all the way and finish through with the Cup at the end. Either way Chara will always have my respect. Fews guys could handle the rigors of the game at 43 years old

Of course he wouldn’t. But if he wasn’t that tall he would be a faster/more agile skater so it’s impossible to separate the two.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He’s played more minutes this regular season than last (now that he’s healthy) still gets rolled out against top opposing lines and is taking defensive zone starts at a higher rate than he’s ever done. IMO he’s got at least 2 more years in him barring a freak injury.

Here were are 2 weeks away from his 43rd birthday and he's

2nd in TOI among D-men on the league's 1st overall team that is also 1st in Goal differential and 1st in GAA.

Plays on the Top pair at ES with McAvoy

Plays on the Top pair SH with Carlo (arguably the best PK pair of D in the game) and is 5th in the NHL among D for Short-handed time on ice.

1st among Bruins D in +/-, and 5th in the entire NHL among D-men.

Incredible.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He’s played more minutes this regular season than last (now that he’s healthy) still gets rolled out against top opposing lines and is taking defensive zone starts at a higher rate than he’s ever done. IMO he’s got at least 2 more years in him barring a freak injury.

with the shape he keeps himself in he’s going to be able to play as long as he wishes

I mean when he’s 55 he’s probably gonna be as good as prime Hal Gill

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
You have to wonder though if this is his last run

If it really is(or not), would Chara announce it? He does deserve praise for what he has accomplished
Only he can answer that.

Similar to Tom Brady he’s kept himself in fantastic shape into his 40’s. Physically he looks like he could play another year. Wether he’s mentally ready for the grind is another story. If his minutes are managed, I see no reason he can’t play another seasonal after this one.

Reactions: hrdpuk

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Only he can answer that.

Similar to Tom Brady he’s kept himself in fantastic shape into his 40’s. Physically he looks like he could play another year. Wether he’s mentally ready for the grind is another story. If his minutes are managed, I see no reason he can’t play another seasonal after this one.

I think for a lot of guys, it's the willingness to put in the work in the off-season to maintain and be ready for the upcoming season. It's not like the old days when you came to camp to get in shape, you need to work pretty much year round (minus a few weeks in summer) to be able to play at the pace of today's NHL. and they enter camp already in shape.

The good news is Chara is one guy who loves working out anyways, and will be a gym rat likely well after his playing days are over. So putting in that off-season work isn't as much work for him because it's something he enjoys doing.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think for a lot of guys, it's the willingness to put in the work in the off-season to maintain and be ready for the upcoming season. It's not like the old days when you came to camp to get in shape, you need to work pretty much year round (minus a few weeks in summer) to be able to play at the pace of today's NHL. and they enter camp already in shape.

The good news is Chara is one guy who loves working out anyways, and will be a gym rat likely well after his playing days are over. So putting in that off-season work isn't as much work for him because it's something he enjoys doing.
Agreed. I hope that Nick Ritchie can adopt some of Chara’s work ethic in the gym

Reactions: wintersej

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I hear you, but his footspeed has been considered a liability since he broke into the league :laugh:.

Yep. I think we are creating correlation where there is none in expecting he is declining due to age. Chara has always been slow. He has simplified his offensive involvement to a McQuaid level but what he provides in defense, leadership, and toughness is that of a player who can still play a top pairing role for at least another season.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
He is still paying top minutes against top lines. Bruins simply need his defense. When they will find another top defensive freak, Chara could easily lower minutes play in 3. pairing. A to be there as a moral boost for 3-4 years.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

That's for sure. I don't think we'll see Chara re-sign prior to the postseason this time like we did last year. I reckon he'll want to wait and see what happens in the playoffs and how his own game holds up at that ultimate level before making a call on whether he wants to go round again. There's every chance he will, but a 2nd Cup could entice him to hang up the skates, or alternatively if he struggles I believe he'll walk the minute he feels he's no longer an asset to the team.

rank

Mar 2, 2020
....all of that effectiveness, toughness leadership AND he only makes 2,000,000 a year. He will be back and they should be glad to have him at that price. Where else can you get 21:00 a game for $2,000,000 a year? Krug god bless him is only 5’-9” 185 lbs, logs less minutes and makes $5,000,000 and he wants a raise.

Macavoy is top tier but he wouldn’t be there without his D partner. And oh yeah I think Charlie is around $7 000,000 cap hit.

Honestly it’s an insult what they pay Chara.

Z is only 100 games away from taking the all time GP title from Chelly. He’ll be back.

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

This is a good listen. A couple dumb questions, but the story about Chara testing DeBrusk and Chara considering it more mental than physical was interesting.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Oooooooooh, this should be good :)

Thanks for the heads up. Bergy at 1000 was decent so this should be well worth a watch, if I can find it somewhere on the net.

If there was any cause to be worried about the extent to which some guys will be fit and ready to go if the playoffs do eventuate, I'm positive that at least this 43-year-old will be just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad