Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Hey guys, what do you think the chances are Chara returns for next season?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Very high I'd say. Haven't seen anything official, but I see absolutely no reason why he won't return for one more round. He's still insanely fit, been mostly injury free, and has found a way to be very effective despite the fact that he's obviously slowed down in the last few years. His numbers and general play remain just fine. He's still an immensely strong leader of the team and it also helps a lot that he's got a partner in McAvoy who for the most part is very good at covering his undoubted limitations.

If he gets to lift a second Cup in a couple of months then I could definitely see him walking away after that, but otherwise I'm confident we'll see him again next season.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

Agree that I expect him to come back... although in years past with the 1 year extensions I feel like that was generally taken care of by February/March, might be wrong.

I love Z, he's a HOF'er, he's going to the rafters, thankful for everything he has done for this organization on and off the ice... and he's still more than serviceable, but I'm very ready for life post Chara. I think we see the next level of Chuckies game when he has a different partner.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Agree that I expect him to come back... although in years past with the 1 year extensions I feel like that was generally taken care of by February/March, might be wrong.

I love Z, he's a HOF'er, he's going to the rafters, thankful for everything he has done for this organization on and off the ice... and he's still more than serviceable, but I'm very ready for life post Chara. I think we see the next level of Chuckies game when he has a different partner.

We'll see this team bullied around even more without Chara. Even when he is no more than Hal Gill on our 3rd pair I welcome Chara.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Ehhh, I'm not as concerned about that personally. Certainly understand the argument but I'm not worried. Especially with guys like Frederic and Lauzy coming up.

They may be tough and defend teammates but one is 6'2 and one is 6'1. Frederic especially has shown he can fight but if it is Wilson or Reaves or even Kane, Tkachuk types will they do more than get a draw?

I'd like them in addition to Chara. The Bruins of 08-13 were tough thanks in part to having every weight class filled with toughness ready to hit and fight.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
They may be tough and defend teammates but one is 6'2 and one is 6'1. Frederic especially has shown he can fight but if it is Wilson or Reaves or even Kane, Tkachuk types will they do more than get a draw?

I'd like them in addition to Chara. The Bruins of 08-13 were tough thanks in part to having every weight class filled with toughness ready to hit and fight.

Game isn't the same anymore. I think we will be plenty tough minus Z. Certainly no one will ever replace his type of size and presence. We need to accept that. Anyways, probably 1 more year before that happens. Maybe Milan will sign a sweetheart deal here to play 4th line once his deal ends.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I hope he plays into his 50s.

So #kenlinsemanfan head explodes after saying he was done for the past 10y. :laugh:

And also because he’s an awesome captain, Bergeron great friend and one of the best Bruins ever.

Reactions: BMC

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I hope he plays into his 50s.

So #kenlinsemanfan head explodes after saying he was done for the past 10y. :laugh:

And also because he’s an awesome captain, Bergeron great friend and one of the best Bruins ever.

I was someone who thought he should have retired a couple years ago because his skating was rapidly declining, but the interesting thing is that I don't think it was much worse this year than last, so it's kind of plateaued. I don't know if it's something in his training or if it's the fact that he's basically deployed as a pure, shutdown defensive defensemen now. There were only 5 defensemen with at least 400 min TOI this year who had a lower offensive zone start %.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Will Zdeno score a goal in this playoffs?

His last one this season was on November 27 2019. That means, it is a streak of 52 games (43 + 9) without any goal.

Pretty funny critique after last nights game ...

Also, pretty interesting, for the model shut down defenseman he is he’s also currently 22nd in all time goals for a defenseman, 4 more and he will pass Larry Robinson, 8 and he will pass Brad Park to sneak into the top 20 all time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad