Zdeno Chara - 1500 Games Played

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Level up! +5 to interference, +3 to punching people in the face, +10 to ref blindness.
He's not the only one getting free passes from the refs. A lot of veteran star players with a calm demeanor (most of the time) have built a reputation in the league and can get away with a little more then some other players. In Montreal, I remember being quite surprise when we first got Weber. He could get away with relatively clear penalties while Subban was probably getting the short side of the stick on many occasions. Nothing new here...

Chara would still be an effective today if it wasn't for that anyway.

Reactions: CanuckCity and Rolo

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
Bruins captain Zdeno Chara is set to become the 21st player in NHL history to skate in 1,500 career regular-season games when the Bruins visit their Original Six rivals in Montreal. The Sharks duo of Patrick Marleau (1,668 GP) and Joe Thornton (1,581) are the only active skaters to have reached the milestone.

In addition to Jaromir Jagr (1,733 GP) of the Czech Republic and Nicklas Lidstrom (1,564 GP) of Sweden, Chara (Trencin, Slovakia) will become the third skater born outside of North America to reach the 1,500-game milestone.

Chara will become just the sixth defenseman to skate in 1,500 career games – the previous five have all been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Chara%20Media-05013238.png

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Just realized the game is in Montreal. Interested to see if they acknowledge it in the stadium and how the crowd reacts.

I’d bet they mostly cheer the announcement and then boo him whenever he has the puck like they normally do. I think Hab fans can respect the achievement and still hate the player as well or better than any fan base out there.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Well done big man, a class act and a beast, I love that it is in Montreal, hopefully he gets a cheer spattered with a bunch of boos.
I hope Big Z gets a hat trick tonight. Wouldn't THAT be sweet !

Congratulations Big Z !!! I will tell you in person next home game.

Last edited:

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I'm not a fan of the Bruins (one of my most disliked teams, actually), but man, I'm not sure Chara gets nearly the credit he seems to deserve.

In the most elite hockey league in the world, a league where far younger and more agile defensemen get turn styled and embarrassed by the pace and skill of today's fowards - this GIANT of a human has played 1,500 games.

I don't watch him closely enough to say what kind of player he is these days, but even that his body has held up and his skating is obviously good enough to still be an NHL player, is absolutely remarkable in a way that seems like it transcends just being a hockey story.

Best wishes and health to the guy.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad