Who would you rather have coach?

• MSL

Votes: 74 74.0%
  • Rod Brind'Amour

Votes: 26 26.0%

• Total voters

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
The guy that has been running the best analytics team in history, or the guy that has been running the Habs ? Im not the biggest Brind'amour fan because he's too harsh on his players and ultimately he doesn't respect talent enough, but come on now.

Would you want the coach with a .438 over 200 games or the guy that has a near .700 winning record over 500?
Little context here please.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yeah, sure, to win the Stanley Cup of Analytics, I'd take Brind'Amour too.

To win the actual Stanley Cup. I'd take the coach who makes his team overperform relative to the quality of his rosters. And I don't think this guy is Brind'Amour. Despite a stacked team, his team never made it to the finals. That matters more than analytics.

Nobody ever called these Hurricane teams "stacked".

They are a deep team but definitely are not some under-performing band of superstars.

Reactions: ReHabs

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
How many could he have realistically won?
If someone's going to shit on Rod Brind'amour's accomplishments they better have a better argument than implying our coach can "win the actual Stanley Cup" when our coach has done no such a thing whatsoever.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Not really comparable

One have proved that he can win, with multiple 50 wins seasons

The other one still haven’t prove he can win

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I thought the objective was to develop players and draft as high as possible. Not sure what standard you're applying but doesn't fit the path we want. You wanted us to be 15th this year? Come on.

I want to see a full season of a healthy team with players more mature. Next season will give us a good baseline for evaluating him. Again, what were you expecting from team in last two years exactly?
The team has had one more year of progress and it finished in the exact same spot as last year.

The question is which would you rather have and the obvious answer is the much better coach

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Rod is great, many teams will want him. MSL has been doing well developing players, starting next season they will finally try to win games too.

Reactions: BLONG7

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
One is there to develop players over wins because the habs are rebuilding.

The other has a team to get to the playoffs and win.

Seems hard to understand for some.
Yeah but the one that here to develop have never prove that he can build a structure to win games so we have no choice to go with the one that have prove it multiple time

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The guy that has been running the best analytics team in history, or the guy that has been running the Habs ? Im not the biggest Brind'amour fan because he's too harsh on his players and ultimately he doesn't respect talent enough, but come on now.

Would you want the coach with a .438 over 200 games or the guy that has a near .700 winning record over 500?
Rod could have a .850 winning percentage, and the habs can't have him as a coach, and we all know why............and we are not supposed to talk about it, or some get their knickers in a knot...
Fact....

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Absolutely not They know that MSL is the one of the smartest hockey minds. I doubt Rod is.
As others have mentioned his accomplishments, I don't think you wanna die on that hill.
Give credit where credit is due..............Rod was a great player, and is also a great coach.
Easy to say that, and take nothing away from MSL.
MSL has a long way to go................to get to Rod's coaching record. Let's hope that happens, and we start winning soon, real soon.

Reactions: Vachon23

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If someone's going to shit on Rod Brind'amour's accomplishments they better have a better argument than implying our coach can "win the actual Stanley Cup" when our coach has done no such a thing whatsoever.

Which are...?

As others have mentioned his accomplishments, I don't think you wanna die on that hill.
Give credit where credit is due..............Rod was a great player, and is also a great coach.
Easy to say that, and take nothing away from MSL.
MSL has a long way to go................to get to Rod's coaching record. Let's hope that happens, and we start winning soon, real soon.

And his GM has a long way to go to give him a team that's anywhere close to the the teams Rod gets on an yearly basis since he's been a head coach.

The 2023-24 Hurricanes have, like, three D-Men that would've been the Habs best D-Men, and I'd be ready to entertain an argument that they actually had four.

Reactions: dgeezus

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Rod could have a .850 winning percentage, and the habs can't have him as a coach, and we all know why............and we are not supposed to talk about it, or some get their knickers in a knot...
Fact....
Rod leading the Canes to a .850 winning percentage would probably the equivalent achievement of MSL getting a playoff spot with the 2023-24 Canadiens hockey team.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Fact....
Brind-Amour is French enough I think...

Would the public accept a guy with a French name that couldn't speak French?

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
The team has had one more year of progress and it finished in the exact same spot as last year.

The question is which would you rather have and the obvious answer is the much better coach
The finished with 8 more points than last year. If similar progress is made next year, we will be contending for a playoff spot. I sincerely thought you were part of "team rebuild", not wanting to try for playoffs last few years and remain mediocre. Good to know.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
The finished with 8 more points than last year. If similar progress is made next year, we will be contending for a playoff spot. I sincerely thought you were part of "team rebuild", not wanting to try for playoffs last few years and remain mediocre. Good to know.
We actually had less wins than last year we just lost an extra 10 games in OT

We finished with 20 regulation wins, 3rd worst in the league ahead of Chicago and San Jose

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Fact....

Don't you guys ever shut up. My god the whining is pathetic. Why don't you just move to an anglo market if that bugs you so much, lol. The two new anglo front office guys, that we could "never have in Montreal," actually picked the current coach, and many are happy with him, and not just those sneaky francophones.

We actually had less wins than last year we just lost an extra 10 games in OT

We finished with 20 regulation wins, 3rd worst in the league ahead of Chicago and San Jose

So you're saying our performance was worse this year than last year?

• Haha
Reactions: BLONG7

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not part of any team but having the best team possible, and that also goes through having a much better coach, lol.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I'm not part of any team but having the best team possible, and that also goes through having a much better coach, lol.

What would have been your expectation last year and this year? Switch Rod for MSL, and the last two years we're in the playoffs? Tell us how many more points Rod would have given us. Since you're advocating for mediocrity, it's important to state things clearly. Where would we be with Rod at the helm?

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
So you're saying our performance was worse this year than last year?
It wasn't better. We won 20/82 games in regulation compared to 21/82 the year before. Our GF barely increased and our GA barely decreased. Both years there were 27 teams better than us.

There are excuses to be made, mostly injuries and inexperience, the same we've been hearing for 3 years.

There is also reason to be optimistic, mostly the emergence of Suzuki and Slafkovsky. However, the regression of Caufield and Dach's injury effectively limit some of my excitement - and does Suzuki's 75 points make him a true #1? Or is this the new NHL and he will need to get to 85-95 to be a #1 on a contender

What would have been your expectation last year and this year? Switch Rod for MSL, and the last two years we're in the playoffs? Tell us how many more points Rod would have given us. Since you're advocating for mediocrity, it's important to state things clearly. Where would we be with Rod at the helm?
I think it's more simple than that.

Whenever this team is ready to go, RBA is the better and more experienced coach than MSL. He has proven he can coach winners.

Even if it would mean we miss the playoffs with RBA as coach next year, he still fits in the timeline of the rebuild.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

How can one quantify who's the better coach when they're tasked with different objectives or aren't afforded the same parameters.

The only way you could differentiate the two is by giving them both the exact same rosters and then judge those results.

Everything else is just subjective.

Removing Marty for Brind'Amour at this juncture doesn't do the habs any favours, if anything it would be more than likely detrimental. MSL has done everything he's been asked to do by those who hired him..

I'd surmise he's even surpassed them.

Last edited:

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
It wasn't better. We won 20/82 games in regulation compared to 21/82 the year before. Our GF barely increased and our GA barely decreased. Both years there were 27 teams better than us.

There are excuses to be made, mostly injuries and inexperience, the same we've been hearing for 3 years.
I think this is what happens when you select whatever statistics happen to support your position. It's quite clear Habs performed better this year than last, at both an individual level, and team performance. Games were more competitive and closer. The team obtained 8 more points (somehow lost in your myopic statistical analysis).

It's just business as usual from our fanbase. No patience, no recognition of progress or of overall strategy that includes high draft picks and player development, the search for political explanations when there are none, etc.

Reactions: Walksss

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

There is a little difference in talent. Right now St Louis is the guy for the job, a teaching coach. If the Habs start improving he stays, if his strategy starts holding the Habs back, tell him to change it. If he won't, then ask him to please stay on as an assistant teaching coach and hope like hell that he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad