Zdeno Chara - 1500 Games Played

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The cap was 37 million at the time.

They paid Redden a million less than what Chara took to go to Boston. If they wanted Chara they could have gotten him. They chose Redden over Chara. Huge mistake.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They paid Redden a million less than what Chara took to go to Boston. If they wanted Chara they could have gotten him. They chose Redden over Chara. Huge mistake.

The issue wasthat they had the Heatley and Spezza contracts to sign in the near future. No one knew what the cap was going to do.

In 2007, they put Tom Preissing in the starting lineup because he cost $500k.

It was a different period where $1M meant something.

Chara wanted max contract and max term after a lackluster playoff. Redden was willing to go less for less term.

It was the wrong decision but it wasn't an easy one at the time.

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
giphy.gif

^ his real secret to success.

If he drank Pepsi he'd be out of the league by now.

Coke is it!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The issue wasthat they had the Heatley and Spezza contracts to sign in the near future. No one knew what the cap was going to do.

Chara wanted max contract and max term after a lackluster playoff. Redden was willing to go less for less term.

There was also that rumour that Chara wanted to wear the C, which wasn't happening in Ottawa because Alfie was

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Gordie Howe: 1,767 games

Chara also needs 267. After this season, if all goes well and my math is correct, he could have 1567. That means, 200 games to Gordie. Lets 3 seasons (let him some rest). Doable

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
giphy.gif

^ his real secret to success.

If he drank Pepsi he'd be out of the league by now.
Was that a commercial, or did he just happen to look at the camera? :laugh:

Anyways great player, great career. Unfairly dumped on by some people on HF for his play recently, but he’s hardly looked bad to me at all, still solid play. It’s not really a knock on someone his age to mess up here and there, still seems to be worth having.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I remember when that contract issue came up, and I remember asking myself which defenseman they should keep. I honestly had no idea what the right answer was because both defensemen were so darn good, I just knew it was a bad situation for the Senators to be in, having to give one up. Anyone saying that the Senators should or could have known are deluding themselves using hindsight.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The "fan base" didn't do anything. Your goon nearly killed someone, and got an ovation for it in Boston.

Talk about class...

Fer cripes sake, not this crap again. He didn't "nearly kill someone". A cracked vertebrae is as close to a broken neck as a paper cut is to a severed limb. Stop it with the nonsense.

Reactions: MetM

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
The "fan base" didn't do anything. Your goon nearly killed someone, and got an ovation for it in Boston.

Talk about class...

BOO Fing hoo. The guy he almost killed went to see a movie the day after. Did you call 911 when Stan Jonathan beat a real goon like bouchard senseless. Broke his jaw and nose. Canadians have employed more "goons" than any team in the league.

Name one "goon" that played for your team that was or will be a first ballot HOF'er. Z is one of the all time GREATS!

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Was that a commercial, or did he just happen to look at the camera? :laugh:

Anyways great player, great career. Unfairly dumped on by some people on HF for his play recently, but he’s hardly looked bad to me at all, still solid play. It’s not really a knock on someone his age to mess up here and there, still seems to be worth having.

Chara was dealing with illness that saw him miss the prior playoff game and it left him weak and awfully pale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad