Waived: Zalpe & Juulsen clear waivers, Samuel Montembeault claimed by MTL

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I am not saying I agree w/the bump, but Montembeault is legitimately playing very well. He is not a 1B, he is the best goalie the Canadiens have by an appreciable margin and is a legit NHL starter IMO.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I am not saying I agree w/the bump, but Montembeault is legitimately playing very well. He is not a 1B, he is the best goalie the Canadiens have by an appreciable margin and is a legit NHL starter IMO.
He didn't get the job by performance, and if Carey Price told them he was ready again, he wouldn't be the starter.

He is a quality goaltender, but a 1B on almost every team league wide, no shame there at all, but his biggest competitor is Jake Allen. He plays on a tanking, terrible team, lol, keep it in perspective. Also a great help is being French Canadian in MTL.

Name me another team where he would be a full time starter, I see less than maybe 5 possibilities league wide. He landed in almost a perfect spot in a moment no one expected their star goalie to abandon the team.

Again, good for Monty, but he has been in a decent landing spot on some very bad teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: BabyBennettov

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
He didn't get the job by performance, and if Carey Price told them he was ready again, he wouldn't be the starter.

He is a quality goaltender, but a 1B on almost every team league wide, no shame there at all, but his biggest competitor is Jake Allen. He plays on a tanking, terrible team, lol, keep it in perspective. Also a great help is being French Canadian in MTL.

Name me another team where he would be a full time starter, I see less than maybe 5 possibilities league wide. He landed in almost a perfect spot in a moment no one expected their star goalie to abandon the team.

Again, good for Monty, but he has been in a decent landing spot on some very bad teams.
Ok. After watching him having to fight thru some outstanding bullshit the last couple years, to say he didnt get the job by performance is inflammatory. His biggest competitor has been the same as Jake Allen, but not Jake Allen who also deserves better. Their competition is the mostly imperfect team in front of them. Decent landing spot? Hell of a proving ground. And prove he's been doing.

Now, without any debate, at least to me- he is clearly better than the goalies, and would be the starter, for: San Jose, Los Angeles, Vegas, Seattle, Columbus, Chicago, Toronto, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Detroit, Carolina, Colorado, Washington, Arizona, Ottawa, Edmonton, St. Louis, New Jersey and Minnesota. 5 teams? There's 19.

With little debate I'll add Calgary Dallas Vancouver and Anaheim. 23.

After not much debate I'll also take him over those sheltered blokes in Boston. I bet whatever the hell they could never have done as good as Sam's been doing, almost singlehandedly carrying MTL as he's been. 24 teams.

Oh yeah forgot to count his own. 25.

I'm not saying he'd beat the remaining team's starters, the very best of the best, out of a job. What I am saying is if he is NOT in that final small tier of elites, he's in between those who are and the rest who aren't.

Now from here, you'll either call me names and put a quick end to this like V for bad opinions or you give me some substance as to why all the above is a buncha bullshit. But I do hope you won't suggest he'd be WORSE on a contender while carrying an otherwise total bottom feeder!

Last edited:

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
I think you're being generous with that list of teams, but certainly from what I've seen I think there are maybe 7-8 teams where he'd be penciled in as the starter, and several more teams that would love to have him right now due to injuries/illness.

At the moment, he's a quality starter on a very reasonable contract.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I think you're being generous with that list of teams, but certainly from what I've seen I think there are maybe 7-8 teams where he'd be penciled in as the starter, and several more teams that would love to have him right now due to injuries/illness.

Top 8 he is not lol

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Credit to CH, he’s been much better than I ever thought he’d be. I still don’t think he’s as good as CH believes he is, or that he’d start on as many teams as CH thinks he would, but I think he’s very capable of being a 1A on a good team. IMO, he’d be great in Jersey, though with the injuries it probably doesn’t matter.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Top 8 he is not lol
Bottom 20 he is not

Always ready for the debate, which teams?

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Bottom 20 he is not

Always ready for the debate, which teams?

NJD, SJS, Arizona, St. Louis, Ottawa, Anaheim, Buffalo, Chicago and (surprisingly) Calgary I think are all teams that have had bad goaltending out of healthy starters this season.

Okay, that's 9 teams that I think would have probably given Monty a shot in the starter's crease this season for performance reasons rather than injury reasons. The state of goaltending in the NHL right now is not great.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
NJD, SJS, Arizona, St. Louis, Ottawa, Anaheim, Buffalo, Chicago and (surprisingly) Calgary I think are all teams that have had bad goaltending out of healthy starters this season.

Okay, that's 9 teams that I think would have probably given Monty a shot in the starter's crease this season for performance reasons rather than injury reasons. The state of goaltending in the NHL right now is not great.
Debatable as always, the cause for "bad goaltending", but yeah that's 9 of the 25 teams where he's better than the current Gs!

What teams did I list that have a goalie better? @Gentle Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad